Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Look at the Rader look like we going miss out becuse it west of me and moveing North :wallbash:

I know the feeling Stu, typical eh? grrrrrrr :doh:

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

:whistling:

:whistling: i am not sure if i am posting this right but thanks to PHELPSY AND JANE LOUISE FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTION , IM NEWISH TO COMPUTER . I EXPECT YOUR MAMMATUS CLOUD WAS THE LEFTOVERS OF THUNDER ACTIVITY FURTHER SOUTH , JUST DOWN DRAUGHTS , TOMORROW COULD BE INTERESTING FOR GLOS AREA , ESPECIALLY IF TEMP OVERNIGHT DROPS , THEN SUN POPS OUT PLUS TROUGH PLUS A BIT OF LIFT , AND YOU ARE NEARER THE LOW PRESSURE . BEST OF LUCK , :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Interesting feature moving NE through SW Ireland atm and it is producing some lightning

post-7838-0-43138100-1304889751_thumb.jp

Posted

:whistling: i am not sure if i am posting this right but thanks to PHELPSY AND JANE LOUISE FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTION , IM NEWISH TO COMPUTER . I EXPECT YOUR MAMMATUS CLOUD WAS THE LEFTOVERS OF THUNDER ACTIVITY FURTHER SOUTH , JUST DOWN DRAUGHTS , TOMORROW COULD BE INTERESTING FOR GLOS AREA , ESPECIALLY IF TEMP OVERNIGHT DROPS , THEN SUN POPS OUT PLUS TROUGH PLUS A BIT OF LIFT , AND YOU ARE NEARER THE LOW PRESSURE . BEST OF LUCK , :drinks:

Lets hope so. As long it waits for me to get home from work first lol, bout tea time would ne great haha. Good luck to you to mate :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

As with many others from East Anglia, I had just a bit of light rain in Norwich last night and the landscape continues to have a semi-arid look to it- even more so than it did in early July last year. I remember that we then had some torrential downpours in late July 2010 in Norwich, including one day with a fairly sizeable thunderstorm, which soon had the wildlife bursting back into action. Although showers are likely to break out across East Anglia on every day of the coming week, it looks like they will be light and well scattered until at least Thursday due to the strength of the high pressure hanging on in the SE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

With all this collective sky watching .......Did anyone else see any Swifts?

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Lots today Windy, Hurrah..!! Summers here..!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Saw first ones yesterday on Thorne Moors, near Doncaster.

No storms here today, went cloudy a couple of times otherwise wall to wall sunshine from late morning.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Yes plenty of Swifts today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Thanks for the replies concerning the welcome return of natures own little storm detectors :clap:

its good to hear.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

No storms here yet this year, and there's a good chance it will be a stormless year this year here. Then again storms are very very rare here, perhaps as rare if not more rare than snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

And im still living in the desert! had some rain last night i could smell the soil in the air, magical but it was over soon enough no thunder over the last couple of days, not even a flash of lightning.

I wouldn't be suprised if there where cactus growing in my garden soon, it seems that the SE has gone from the most lightning prone to the least. Sods law that when I was terrified of thunderstorms when i was a kid they happened all the time but now when I actually want one they won't show.

Even scotland has seen more action ha. :pardon:

Ive had one storm this year which has made it easier but I need MORE!!!!!. ;)

Edited by Mesoscale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

No storms here yet this year, and there's a good chance it will be a stormless year this year here. Then again storms are very very rare here, perhaps as rare if not more rare than snow!

I remember one of Philip Eden's Telegraph articles pointing out that the Wirral is good for benign weather enthusiasts- not much thunder, not much snow, relatively high sunshine hours and prone to fohn effects, but by implication not good for dramatic weather enthusiasts!

Quite unusual for Norwich to not have had any thunder-days yet by this time of the year, but if the current model outputs for the coming Friday-Sunday verify then there's a good chance of that changing then- showery north-westerly regimes are often quite productive hail and thunder wise over East Anglia at this time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

ah yeah the swifts have been here since early April lol, just been flying very high untill recently, they seemed to arrived about two weeks earlier this year.

A large HP in the atlantic from midweek, setting up a N.Westerly with quite stable conditions for most, not the best for thunderstorm....still ok for tomorrow though.

Still a chance for east anglia i guess if the high doesnt squash everything

Posted

Looks like North Yorkshire is nicely placed for any storm potential during the late afternoon. My son is going camping on the Moors today, so he could be in for an interesting time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

nice potential for today in my area; metoffice going for heavy thundery showers from mid morning. GFS projects between 700 and 900 J/KG CAPE and -3 LI for this afternoon so looking good. Heard some very distant thunder yesterday so hopefully

something

better for today.

Posted

I think a band right through Northern England across from Northern Ireland, but ESTOFEX and the others are all taking a holiday today!

Posted

I'm hopeful for today. I know they're not great at storm forecasts, but the Met Office mentioned my county specifically as the best spot in the East Midlands for something today! Let's hope!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

wall to wall sunshine already here so alot of insolation going on, a good sign.

Posted

. I know they're not great at storm forecasts, but the Met Office mentioned my county specifically as the best spot in the East Midlands for something today! Let's hope!

Many people seem to come up with this mantra. Perhaps some reasoned discussion to support this statement would make it more convincing which presumably you have at your fingertips as you "know". At the moment it comes across to me as a throwaway line that is pretty meaningless. I would also be interested who you consider to to best at convective forecasting and why.

Posted

Dew points are already on their way up and look good on the Eastern side:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=current;type=maxd

Good to see some nice early sunshine too. There's much less cloud today than of late, which should aid convection. Could be a productive day

I'm messing around and providing storm forecasts when the situation calls for it, as it does today! Don't take it as gospel - I'm just an amateur, and it's mainly to satisfy my interest!

Check out the link in my sig for todays outlook.Or click here if you have disabled signatures.

Edited by Ari