Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Posted

A certain amount of convective activity in the rPM air behind the fronts. You can see the development and then a certain amount of fracto Cu blocking the Cb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Hopefully more people can join in tomorrow, I suspect thundery showers will be more widespread than today, and that storm was pretty intense! Whether I can get storms 2 days running is another question, but at least the storm drought is over here. That equalled the thundersnow back in November in terms of intensity.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

A storm just a stones throw away from me. It does feel warmer out there compared to yesterday all be it rather breezy. Some good convection to the south of me.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Perhaps not going to be so much in the way of convective showers for most of England and Wales today, the well scattered showers tending to die away recently.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Whoa. Lots of rain clouds have just appeared out of nowhere.

Posted

I wonder if the showers in NW England will pep up when they hit the Pennines? Things can happen quickly - at 10:30 there was nothing on the radar, but by 11:00 you could see that line of storms developing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

I wonder if the showers in NW England will pep up when they hit the Pennines? Things can happen quickly - at 10:30 there was nothing on the radar, but by 11:00 you could see that line of storms developing.

I live in a village south of Manchester on border of Peak District and can see places like Kinder Scout from where I live. Earlier saw a lot of convective cloud and bluu sky directly over my head. Now, from the south, a lot of convective cloud is moving over and the sky is getting cloudier with very interesting cloud interms of its texture.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

BOOM cg strike out west! There's a roll shape of dark cloud, then a greenish grey area behind where the lightning came from :D

Im only catching up on the thread as we speak, but had to comment on your post! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo: Im dead (and probably overly) excited for you, as I have has no storms either last night. But much needed rain thankfully so am happy. I am going to live vicariously through your approaching storm with GREENISH hue. TAKE PHOTOS!!!!!

+eagerly awaits+ :clap:

Posted

OK, I have a question:

When you get rain clouds that blanket the sky sometimes you get these more light coloured looking small wispy clouds that look like they are much lower than the main mass of clouds. What are they and what do they mean.

I can upload a picture if anyone has trouble understanding what I mean.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Thought so, even after that decent soaking of rain last night the garden grass is generally still quite brown and some cracks still in place, so for me at least the dry feel is still in place.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

I finally reached the end of the thread and see that the Durham storm has passed now lol! So my earlier comment is a bit late. Cool that you guys got a storm (albeit quick) out of that. Lets hope for more daytime heating and a few rogues to pop up on radar!

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

And its over. 10 minutes of torrential rain, 8 visible flashes of lighting (2cg) and 10 rumbles of thunder. I'll settle for that :D

Lots of mid level cloud following on, I think that'll be it for this afternoon.

EDIT: Just checked, 4mm fell in those 10 minutes - that's 24mm per hour!

EDIT 2 : Another rumble as it moves away, that makes 11.

Nearly... but got nothing here in Shields not even a drop of rain, didnt even hear the thunder.. Oh well theres still plenty time for something developing later..perhaps.

Posted

OK, I have a question:

When you get rain clouds that blanket the sky sometimes you get these more light coloured looking small wispy clouds that look like they are much lower than the main mass of clouds. What are they and what do they mean.

I can upload a picture if anyone has trouble understanding what I mean.

hi Lauren

I suspect its 'scud' cloud forming in the rain under the main cloud base, the actual cloud is usually St (Stratus)

Posted

Im only catching up on the thread as we speak, but had to comment on your post! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo: Im dead (and probably overly) excited for you, as I have has no storms either last night. But much needed rain thankfully so am happy. I am going to live vicariously through your approaching storm with GREENISH hue. TAKE PHOTOS!!!!!

+eagerly awaits+ :clap:

Lol I got a couple of pictures which I'll upload later when I've got the time.

Edited by alza

Posted

hi Lauren

I suspect its 'scud' cloud forming in the rain under the main cloud base, the actual cloud is usually St (Stratus)

Ah yes thanks. They are the whiter clouds in the foreground of this picture. They came flying over at a fast pace with a blanket of rain clouds earlier. Why exactly do they form?

Posted

Ah yes thanks. They are the whiter clouds in the foreground of this picture. They came flying over at a fast pace with a blanket of rain clouds earlier. Why exactly do they form?

due to the moisture in the air beneath the main cloud base

Posted

Lol I got a couple of pictures which I'll upload later when I've got the time.

got 2000 photos as i time-lapsed it, but really isnt worth seeing as it slipped up west of me, some nice convection though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

feeling very thundery here with cumulus. 19.5c.

feeling very thundery here with cumulus. 19.5c.

Posted

Another thunderstorm in Northumberland, but a weaker one by the looks of it. Something must be causing the showers to really get going as they move into NE England today. Its 20°C by the way and it feels pretty humid again.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Plenty of covection around here, Cu and TCu with nice dark bases dotted all over the sky today. I'm not expectong anything today but it sure is photogenic!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Sun can't make it's way out of light stratus clouds, (mainly cloudy) quite muggy at 18.3C though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Just looks like a windy day in store for us this side of the Pennines

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

just heard a sferic probably from E Wales

and another one. Getting cloudy here.

and another one. Getting cloudy here.