Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase 2012 - Dates And Early Booking Offer

Paul

Posted

I'm curious. How on earth do people get insurance to go climb at high altitude? Thinking of Everest and the like, or do they just go and hope for the best.

Posted

Unfortunately I've just had this email from them:

"I'm afraid we've just heard that we aren't going to be able to offer storm chasing cover for the foreseeable future. We've just placed a message to this effect on our website.

If you are struggling to find cover from another provider I would suggest contacting a local insurance broker, the British Insurance Broker's Association have a find a broker helpline who can offer assistance in this regard:

http://www.biba.org.uk/

Apologies that we are unable to be of assistance in this instance."

Will try that broker helpline and hope something comes up!

Good luck, unfortunately the Broker helpline is exactly that, a front to the insurers, if the insurers won't touch it the brokers wont be able to find a possible insurer.

Keep us posted

Posted

I'm curious. How on earth do people get insurance to go climb at high altitude? Thinking of Everest and the like, or do they just go and hope for the best.

Yeah a lot of insurers will go to 4000ft, but not above because of the altitude risks.

I believe that these sorta people are sponsored with backing ready to throw cash at the situation in the event.

For the man in the street, I suppose somewhere hidden in the depths of the British Insurers bucket somebody would underwrite something at an exorbitant fee.

Knowing that I went up Pikes Peak in Colorado at 13000ft now makes me wonder if I should do it again, in case my insurance company goes ballistic. :help:

Posted

Yeah a lot of insurers will go to 4000ft, but not above because of the altitude risks.

I believe that these sorta people are sponsored with backing ready to throw cash at the situation in the event.

For the man in the street, I suppose somewhere hidden in the depths of the British Insurers bucket somebody would underwrite something at an exorbitant fee.

Knowing that I went up Pikes Peak in Colorado at 13000ft now makes me wonder if I should do it again, in case my insurance company goes ballistic. :help:

You'll be fine, just don't book a cruise on an Italian ship next year. That would cripple you! :doh:

Posted

You'll be fine, just don't book a cruise on an Italian ship next year. That would cripple you! :doh:

Right that's crossed off my "Things to do before I die" as it might well foreshorten my life :good:

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

any advise for us who dont yet have the insurance?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

I've got a couple of companies looking into it for me right now, I'll update as soon as I get confirmation

Ian

Posted
any advise for us who dont yet have the insurance?
Yeah, sit in the last vehicle, failing that let's see what Ian can turn up. Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

It's an odd one, as chasing in itself isn't dangerous unless you are a Discovery TV show. It's effectively a driving holiday with the chance of seeing some spectacular weather along the way. I'm still waiting on replies from a couple of underwriters to clarify what they define as chasing, and whether they will offer specific cover for what we do.

Posted

Thanks to Tim, who has been emailed by Dog Tag to confirm they are happy to cover chasing this year. The only exclusions being cover for loss or damage due to climatic conditions, so hang on tight to your cameras if it gets breezy.

You need to select Sport+ cover.

Thanks again Tim, you beat me to it with Dog Tag, I am hopeful of confirming another option over the next 24 hours too.

Posted

Thanks to Tim, who has been emailed by Dog Tag to confirm they are happy to cover chasing this year. The only exclusions being cover for loss or damage due to climatic conditions, so hang on tight to your cameras if it gets breezy.

Thanks again Tim, you beat me to it with Dog Tag, I am hopeful of confirming another option over the next 24 hours too.

Thanks for that Ian. i will hold out for your next quote before purchasing!

thanks for your help

Graham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

wow..£100 quid more expensive for me than go walkabout... will wait and see

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

Yeah I'm gonna hold out just to see what the other offers are before going with Dog Tag.

Posted

wow..£100 quid more expensive for me than go walkabout... will wait and see

Really? Just ran a quote to see what people have to pay and it comes out at £95 for DogTag Max cover. That's £5 more than Go Walkabout. Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing?!

Edited by lewisosd

Posted

Really? Just ran a quote to see what people have to pay and it comes out at £95 for DogTag Max cover. That's £5 more than Go Walkabout. Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing?!

Yeah I know the prices looked more or less the same to me as well?

Posted

I thought they were a little more expensive but only by £20

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Dorsetbred, March 21, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Dorsetbred, March 21, 2012 - No reason given

I think Claire means "....wow..£100 quid (which is) more expensive for me than go walkabout"

Right Claire?

Posted

Just to keep you updated I've got another lead. Just had this email:

"Dear Mr Staines

Many thanks for your email.

Can you please confirm if this is through an official company and if so, can you please confirm their name/website details so we can assess the risk?

Also, can you please confirm how long you are planning to take part in this activity?

Kind Regards"

I'll let people know how that ones goes as well.

Tim

Posted
Posted · Hidden by duckeyh, March 21, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by duckeyh, March 21, 2012 - No reason given

I think Claire means "....wow..£100 quid (which is) more expensive for me than go walkabout"

Right Claire?

Sadly no...I always go with an annual policy which was quoted at £254 on dog tag and £148 with Go Walkabout...either way by the sounds of what Ian M has said my gear won't be covered should we come unstuck in the Alley

Posted

I always go with an annual policy as generally it works out more cost effective for the extra, clearly not in this case...

Posted

I'm had one blow out and another request an itinerary, which is going to be a little hard to nail down.... arrive, meet the gang, get in a car, drive, laugh a lot, see huge weather, eat, drink bud, create the perfect solution to storm chasing, sleep, wish I'd written down the perfect solution, rinse and repeat. Go to airport, buy duty free, sit on plane seat, sleep.

Posted

I'm had one blow out and another request an itinerary, which is going to be a little hard to nail down.... arrive, meet the gang, get in a car, drive, laugh a lot, see huge weather, eat, drink bud, create the perfect solution to storm chasing, sleep, wish I'd written down the perfect solution, rinse and repeat. Go to airport, buy duty free, sit on plane seat, sleep.

What ever you do Don't mention red meat.. Sure fire way of killing any chance of a quote. after all we have all been dead for the past 10 years. lol

Posted

Ever thought of renaming them weather safari's, get way from the storm chase label!

Posted

What ever you do Don't mention red meat.. Sure fire way of killing any chance of a quote. after all we have all been dead for the past 10 years. lol

Oh Boy you mention Big Texan and they'll drop the phone.

"And, let's see you wanna chase storms, right and chase tornado's right, along with softball sized hail, right.

You wanna eat what?

Oh I'm sorry, forget it that's a steak too far..."

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Well I might be lucky or I might flippin totally unlucky because although gowalkabout originally hesitated once confirmed that was with organised tour I recieved the quote. The snag being that I had to pay additional cover for my various aliments, up front, so if I do not now get my insurance I might struggle to get that money back.

Time will tell

Tom