Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I always think August by many is an over rated month, especially away from the SE, probably because the whole month is holiday (summer) holidays, June and July the real summer, by august generally starts becoming autumn

August has thrown up some real scorching months in the not too distant past though. 1997 saw 19 consecutive days over 27c from the 6th to the 24th. In 1984 the secont half of August was warmer than the 1st. 1989 was also good as was 1995 or couse. More recently 2005 achieved 32c on the 31st. Its just from 2006 onwards that August isnt producing what it used to.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I am sick and tired of this boring weather! I have been forecast heavy downpours with thunder lightning and hail ect all week and it keeps going east or west! lazy.gifgirl_devil.gif instead all we get is cloudy and dull!

Posted

Utterly foul and disgusting day here, dull with moderate rain, what is the point of booking time of work when i can't do anything because of this crap weather, my bbq is full of cobwebs

Roll on winter i am sick of this so called summermad.gif

Posted

Good grief, it seems that everything possible is conspiring against us and scuppering any chances of a decent ridge of high pressure. This time its the return of the Mid Atlantic high that has lead to so many foul weeks these past 5 summers. Why can we only manage a weak ridge at best lasting 3 days before the inevitable onslaught of the Atlantic. Remember a few weeks ago it was a case of the high slowly retreating south east with every run so the settled weather didnt really arrive at all.

Dont get me wrong its still been a good August here but it seems the the days are long gone when we would get a nice fat HP anywhere near the UK

Posted

Was originally forecast to be a washout today then forecast was changed to sunny spells at the last minute.

Neither have proved correct as it is another bleak,grey overcast nothing day with no rain or sunlazy.gif . Stubborn sheet of gloom doesn't look like breaking much so temperatures unlikely to rise much more than a couple of degrees above the dire 11.9C at the moment. Fairly windy too so feels more like late autumn or even winter.

Been dry the past week but still utter rubbish due to every day except Wednesday being cloudy with below average temperatures. Thankfully only four more days of what is now the worst season of the year to endure, then we can look forward to the start of the 8th autumn month of 2011rolleyes.gif

EDIT: While I've been writing this it's just started drizzling. Absolutely fantastic summer weather bad.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

We were forecast an absolute deluge yesterday, got 5 mm.. total crap forecasting. This area is so boring for weather, can't wait til winter when we actually do good for anything.

Posted

Was looking forward to watching a nice bit of 20/20 cricket at Edgbaston but, just as i thought, the rain has come. the sight of people in coats and umbrellas up is such a depressing sight for what still is meterological summer. This weather is totally crap for any sort of outdoor event. Its just miserable.

Posted

It really has been the deadzone here this summer, intense downpours all around us yesterday and thursday and yet we only got a few spots of rain.

This whole summer has lacked rain, sunshine, warmth, heatwaves, thunderstorms, basically anything remotely exciting, everyday is just the same case of 90% cloudcover and

thus barely any sunshine.

The highest temperature this year was only 26c (27c last year, 28c in 2009), i sense a trend, the bad thing is i really thought after the last few summers we'd have a good one this year, but 3 months of slate grey skies and temperatures between 16-19c bar the odd nice and the odd absolutely tragic day can't really count.

It will be ironic going into September and October as with the current coolness it already feels like November time :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Was looking forward to watching a nice bit of 20/20 cricket at Edgbaston but, just as i thought, the rain has come. the sight of people in coats and umbrellas up is such a depressing sight for what still is meterological summer. This weather is totally crap for any sort of outdoor event. Its just miserable.

thats why especially nowadays that August isnt really summer, summer hols but weatherwise really autumn, especially after the 20th, I watching same cricket, already been reduced to 18 0vers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

You could hardly make it up!.

This morning there were lots of showers to the west but they were fading before they reached here.

Just as they began to make it this far there was a subtle change in wind direction and a series of heavy thundery showers are now making their way south east from the Stoke region, down towards Leicester while we remain a large shower free zone just to the north.

Posted

This morning there were lots of showers to the west but they were fading before they reached here.

Just as they began to make it this far there was a subtle change in wind direction and a series of heavy thundery showers are now making their way south east from the Stoke region, down towards Leicester while we remain a large shower free zone just to the north.

you will make up with lack of ppn in the winter with snow, 330m decent elevation

Posted

My area was meant to be in a great position for heavy showers and storms today, but it's dry with unbroken sunshine.Another pathetic forecastwallbash.gif Thankfully my area has seen plenty of rain in the last few days at 26mm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Very much the same here. Just one, thundery downpour, please, is that too much to ask for?cray.gif

x0tra8.png

Here's a picture to brighten up the moodtongue.png

Posted

Very much the same here. Just one, thundery downpour, please, is that too much to ask for?cray.gif

x0tra8.png

Here's a picture to brighten up the moodtongue.png

It turned out well in the end here with a few torrential downpours, and one had hail and thunder with it.

Not quite sure what your disappointment was, but here to the west of you in Cheshire it was just more miserable rain, not spectacular storms

Posted

tomorrow looks a wet miserable day for the NW Midlands, while most of England and Wales have a dry sunny day

Posted

tomorrow looks a wet miserable day for the NW Midlands, while most of England and Wales have a dry sunny day

No surprise really, its amusing how yet again like last year it looks like turning warm and sunny just in time for September!

Posted

The predicted large rain totals have not materialised here this weekend with only 0.4mm and 2.4mm today but that hasn't stopped it being the worst of many write-off weekends in this putrid summer.

The strong winds, low temperatures and vile grey skies make today the worst I can ever recall in August (and that's with the foul day of 10th August 2011 still fresh in mind). With a current temp of only 11.3C and 33mph winds it feels like a summer day in an Arctic wastelandnonono.gif . Indoor temp of 15.6C this morning was the lowest I can remember in summercold.gif

It felt more like summer on my birthday in January when I went for a walk down at the beach in mild sunshine and even December's frigid cold of -8C, but with no wind and crisp sunshine, felt far more pleasant.

A wretched end to one of the poorest summer's ever recorded in this part of the country though still not as bad as 2007.

Not only has it been a virtual write-off in terms of pleasant weather but also interesting weather. The brief heatwave of early June, when it reached 26C, and the torrential rain in the evening of 14th August, with a rain rate of 145mm/hr, were the only remotely interesting eventslazy.gif

Posted

Another terrible August here making it 6 in a row since a half decent one never mind a good one, Maximum temperatures almost 2c below average, rainfall at 125% of the average and days of rain also above average.

Sunshine has also been well well below average, probably around 100 hours this month compared to the 185 hours average, so very very dull, with just 3 - 4 sunny days

The Max this month is 20.0c, with only 4 days reaching the average.

Very similar to August 2008, not as wet as 2009 and not as cool as 1985, but it surely up there with the worst Augusts of recent times

a run of Augusts like that of 95, 96, and 97 are unimaginable now after this dire dire run from 2006-2011, when will it end?

Edited by rjd1000

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The predicted large rain totals have not materialised here this weekend with only 0.4mm and 2.4mm today but that hasn't stopped it being the worst of many write-off weekends in this putrid summer.

The strong winds, low temperatures and vile grey skies make today the worst I can ever recall in August (and that's with the foul day of 10th August 2011 still fresh in mind). With a current temp of only 11.3C and 33mph winds it feels like a summer day in an Arctic wastelandnonono.gif . Indoor temp of 15.6C this morning was the lowest I can remember in summercold.gif

It felt more like summer on my birthday in January when I went for a walk down at the beach in mild sunshine and even December's frigid cold of -8C, but with no wind and crisp sunshine, felt far more pleasant.

A wretched end to one of the poorest summer's ever recorded in this part of the country though still not as bad as 2007.

Not only has it been a virtual write-off in terms of pleasant weather but also interesting weather. The brief heatwave of early June, when it reached 26C, and the torrential rain in the evening of 14th August, with a rain rate of 145mm/hr, were the only remotely interesting eventslazy.gif

Sounds like my kinda town, Aberdeen. Must be even better on the high ground nearby.

Posted

still looks like a horrid wet day tomorrow and Tuesday, wettest position for the N Midlands, bring on the dry weather from wednesday

Posted

Absolutely repulsive day, not a minute of sunshine, like a mid December day its been so drab and dark!

High was just 14.8c!!!!! and now tommorow which was looking a nice day before looks the same :lol:

Posted

Not a bad day here quite contrary to what the forecast was saying. I managed to play cricket in a t shirt and it never got that cold, plus there seemed to be a permanent area of blue skies right over us so there was plentiful sunshine. But i gather some areas have had it bad. The BBC forecast listed the maxima for some cities and it was quite appalling for late August.

Posted

Another cold, grey day. I'm absolutely freezing, I just wish I had my thick winter jumper with me.

Friday's excellent thunderstorm can't save this from being a poor August, and yet another disappointing summer overall. I was patient during June and July, despite the relative lack of warm, sunny days, due to the fact that it wasn't as bad as recent summers have often been. However, it's now the end of August and things have only deteriorated since then. The lack of days above 20C this summer has been shocking, and whenever 20C has occurred it's usually been accompanied by cloud and/or rain thanks to the prevalence of frustrating NW/SE splits - sunny days have typically occurred in cool polar maritime airmasses with cold winds off the Irish Sea taking the edge off the sunshine, not to mention how few warm nights there have been. There has been a real poverty of summery conditions this summer.

Posted

What a shock high pressure over us but yet again today 100% cloudcover, cold and no sign of the cloud breaking :lol:

Ironic really how Thursday, the first day of September looks like turning gloriously sunny and warm.