Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

Posted

I agree with what AderynCoch says above.

Last two days have been dull and bland here, July ended up notably below average temp wise, with more than its fair share of cool days (some very cool, overcast and damp days) but not much interesting weather at all. July joins June in having a 'below average' or 'poor' rating here.

From Mr Data in the CET thread It's the coolest June-July period for nearly a quarter of a century - Surely that is a poor statistic?

Sometimes it does make me chuckle when people think the rest of the country has been exactly the same as them, and tell people the other side of the country it's been average and that they have expectations too high for this country.

For what it's worth, it is currently overcast with low cloud and 18C...

Just checked the forecast, Oh look it's updated to now show tomorrow overcast too, as well as Wednesday, (what were the two alright looking days) with temps only scraping average all week, in this so called very warm/hot spell. You couldn't make it up :wallbash:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/exeter_forecast_temp.html

Edited by Stormmad26

Summer 2011 has felt non-existent here. May started off Thundery then become cool, windy and damp. June was a fair bit wetter than average, showery and cool. July has been rather dull and the outlook for August is looking pretty grim too. It's not been a washout like previous summers but it's still felt distintincly dissapointing. My honest reflections...

Posted

July was another disappointment here, it struggled to ever get above the low 20s and many days maxed at 17-18. Yet again there was scarcely a day that was predominantly sunny, the cloudiness of the afternoons really has been a depressing feature of this summer. Was gut-wrenching seeing those blue skies at Trent Bridge yesterday when it was grey and horrid here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

July was another disappointment here, it struggled to ever get above the low 20s and many days maxed at 17-18. Yet again there was scarcely a day that was predominantly sunny, the cloudiness of the afternoons really has been a depressing feature of this summer. Was gut-wrenching seeing those blue skies at Trent Bridge yesterday when it was grey and horrid here.

A rare time when Nottingham was the sunny spot of the UK - gorgeous it was too!

Posted

Two grumbles - 1) Thunderstorms now unlikely here.

2) Forecasts saying a dip to cooler temperatures, and then giving temperatures no lower than we've experienced in the west for months! :angry:

Posted

I really hate this hot weather :wallbash: I'll be a lot happier when it cools down, and i might finally get some sleep aswell :lol:

Posted

I really hate this hot weather :wallbash: I'll be a lot happier when it cools down, and i might finally get some sleep aswell :lol:

My heart bleeds for you. :whistling:

Yet another potential window of heat ruined by the Atlantic here. This is beyond irksome now - I get the feeling I'm not allowed to get even occasional hot and sunny weather in summer anymore.

Why oh why oh why oh why can't we get a forecast like this anymore (closedown from July 1996):

A shame about the sea breezes, but at least the heat and sunshine is widespread.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

My heart bleeds for you. :whistling:

Yet another potential window of heat ruined by the Atlantic here. This is beyond irksome now - I get the feeling I'm not allowed to get even occasional hot and sunny weather in summer anymore.

Why oh why oh why oh why can't we get a forecast like this anymore (closedown from July 1996):

A shame about the sea breezes, but at least the heat and sunshine is widespread.

I agree on all counts and feel the same, It seems my yearly quota of days above 25C appears to be dropping..

2008: 5

2009: 4 (3 if you exclude 25.0c)

2010: 2 (and a couple 24.9's)

2011: 1. Yep, just one, and no sign of any more.

2008 was a pretty poor summer here overall, so on that count...

It seems every time high pressure even tries to build like that 1996 forecast the Atlantic slugs in. What was the CET for July 1996? was it even much above average overall?

Edit: well, Today has been a nice surprise and I'm going to have to correct my days above 25C total for 2011. No complaints about today, Max earlier of 25.6C. In fact it felt rather humid earlier.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

What really annoys me is for the past 3 days, each day the bbc / met office have predicted 21c/22c and sunny intervals for the next day, but then on that day on the 9am update it changes to light rain, 18c, which of course has been correct

Edited by rjd1000

Posted

A whine from me today. I absolutely hate this weather, especially so when Im doing night shifts. Its the worst combination possible, as Im not in overnight to have the windows open so it remains warm and then heats up further during the next day when Im trying to sleep. I cant have the window open then either as noise outside would wake me up. Current room temperature is 28.1C, very uncomfortable indeed.

I cant wait until it cools down again on Thursday, so far this summer has been pretty nice for me, though I understand Im probably in the minority feeling that way!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

28c is pretty warm for sleeping in - I've just walked in at home where my bedroom is 29c (with our living room keeping its cool at 23.5c).

I'd definitely not want to be sleeping there now. Now the windows are open it'll fast drop down to 25-26c then about 22c as it was at bedtime last night. We get naff all evening sunshine here the direction we face- but does mean no superheated bedroom! Well except on those weekend lie ins that aren't really possible in this place on sunny mornings.

For me no whining at all at this lovely weather - but completely understand struggling if you're operating funny hours like that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

im waiting for the cool down as well, it is way too hot now, especially from 6pm through the night, facing North sucks as well, I think southerly facing rooms are miles cooler generally from 6pm than northern facing rooms

cooldown on thursday, but looks very wet for the N Midlands

Posted

im waiting for the cool down as well, it is way too hot now, especially from 6pm through the night, facing North sucks as well, I think southerly facing rooms are miles cooler generally from 6pm than northern facing rooms

cooldown on thursday, but looks very wet for the N Midlands

Your joking aren't you? My bedroom faces southerly, and it's been like an oven the last 4 nights or so, and sleeping has been incredibly difficult.The rooms facing north at my place are much cooler.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Your joking aren't you? My bedroom faces southerly, and it's been like an oven the last 4 nights or so, and sleeping has been incredibly difficult.The rooms facing north at my place are much cooler.

well not here, my northern facing room gets the sun from 6pm, meaning its off southern facing rooms, south facing cooler as during hot spells wind always comes from a southerly point, allowing air in, no air then for facing north

but during an average spell with no sun with a NW wind, then I imagine southern facing warmer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Enough! Enough! Make the nasty dryness go away. Make the heat go away.

I'll go into my 'Happy Place' until Thursday.

Posted

I have just been deluged upon from great height so to speak with thunder and lightning thrown in whilst playing golf this afternoon,please give me a large anticyclone centered over Northern England.

Posted

Enough! Enough! Make the nasty dryness go away. Make the heat go away.

Indeed.Cooler and much more unsettled will do me nicely,although there isn't much rain expected in my area anytime soon sadly.All this heat and dryness sucks :nonono:

Summer 2011 has felt non-existent here. May started off Thundery then become cool, windy and damp. June was a fair bit wetter than average, showery and cool. July has been rather dull and the outlook for August is looking pretty grim too. It's not been a washout like previous summers but it's still felt distintincly dissapointing. My honest reflections...

I think you must be unlucky it has been much better than that here, OK June was a bit disappointing, but July was sunnier than average with a lot of dry sunny days, (in fact all 31 days has some sunshine, admittedly some days only a few minutes). the first half of the month was particularly sunny, and quite of few of those days coastal areas did do a lot better than inland areas.

However even giving the better conditions here, the cloudier 2nd half of the month can get a little frustrating particularly when Eastern England had a heatwave and the start of the month when it was sunny here and wet there seems a long way off.

I'll have a few days of hot weather if it makes you fell better. :whistling:

Posted

I'll have a few days of hot weather if it makes you fell better. :whistling:

I think theres more chance of swansea beating man city on the opening weekend of the prem than that happening :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Anyone feeling discomfort from the heat - please send it to the southwest as the heatwave hasn't begun yet and it looks like it's going to be over before it's even begun. Maximum temperature in this 'heatwave' was 25.0C on Monday, lower than the 26.6C achieved last Wednesday in the supposed 'cool spell'.

Of course, we'll be the first to receive the thundery rain on Wednesday night. :wallbash:

Posted

Anyone complaining their house is too hot or whatever - get outside and enjoy this lovely weather instead! Sit outside somewhere quiet in as little clothes as you dare and just enjoy it. Here the sky is clear and the air is warm & gentle feeling - it is a rare thing in this country! Look up at the stars, smell the fragrant air and listen to the subtle sounds of nighttime...

My only whine is that this won't carry on beyond tomorrow as for me this is just perfect conditions.

Posted

Anyone complaining their house is too hot or whatever - get outside and enjoy this lovely weather instead! Sit outside somewhere quiet in as little clothes as you dare and just enjoy it. Here the sky is clear and the air is warm & gentle feeling - it is a rare thing in this country! Look up at the stars, smell the fragrant air and listen to the subtle sounds of nighttime...

My only whine is that this won't carry on beyond tomorrow as for me this is just perfect conditions.

I would love to if it wasn't cloudy, temperatures 24-25.c over the last few days and constant cloud cover :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

This is just too oppressive, i know its my own fault for causing myself liver damage and high blood pressure and still drinking certainly makes me hotter than i need to be but lets hope we get a repeat of sept 1919 when there was snow for northern England, 1 more month to go and then we are on the home straight anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Being cloudy doesn't stop you from going outside and enjoying the warm weather. It's been very pleasant during the day but nights have been extremely uncomfortable. Temperatures here being between 23 - 25c, not really a heatwave but quite warm nonetheless.