Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

The heatwave that never was, and still no storms....meh! Hurry up and sod off Summer 2011 you are boring the ar*e off me :wallbash:

Posted

A whine from me today. I absolutely hate this weather, especially so when Im doing night shifts. Its the worst combination possible, as Im not in overnight to have the windows open so it remains warm and then heats up further during the next day when Im trying to sleep. I cant have the window open then either as noise outside would wake me up. Current room temperature is 28.1C, very uncomfortable indeed.

I cant wait until it cools down again on Thursday, so far this summer has been pretty nice for me, though I understand Im probably in the minority feeling that way!

I share your pain, even though I am currently off work. In the last 24hours the temp inside my flat hasn't fallen below 27.2c. Thats with all the doors and windows open as long as possible, and blinds/curtains drawn enough to keep out the sun without blocking airflow. the problem is there is no airflow. Its static. Outside its currently 30.2c in my garden, ( shaded and overcast ) with a DP of 17.7c and not a breath of wind. Awful conditions.

A whine from me today. I absolutely hate this weather, especially so when Im doing night shifts. Its the worst combination possible, as Im not in overnight to have the windows open so it remains warm and then heats up further during the next day when Im trying to sleep. I cant have the window open then either as noise outside would wake me up. Current room temperature is 28.1C, very uncomfortable indeed.

I cant wait until it cools down again on Thursday, so far this summer has been pretty nice for me, though I understand Im probably in the minority feeling that way!

No you'd be surprised how many people have commented to me how they hate hot weather and can't wait for it to get cold, as you say much harder to get cool in this weather than to get warm when its cold, cant you leave your bedroom windows open while at work though?

I know you might be afraid of getting burgled but upstairs bedrooms should be ok, i guess it depends on what kind of area you live in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The park in the centre of Hull currently has an event on and was packed full of people enjoying the hot weather, and by the looks of it, very few would be wishing it was overcast and chilly. I do sympathise for those who have to work in it, but i work in an un airconditioned 60s office block so i know how you feel, but i still manage to get the benefits of it when i am at home. Fact is, this weather is great for outdoor events, seaside resorts and just lazing about outside which is what summer should be all about. If so many hate this weather then why do the media continue to ramp it up. They could bang on about how cool it is or the unseasonably cold nights but they dont because thats not what joe public wants.

My reason to moan at the moment would be all this heat will end by the weekend and the threat of rain will return to no doubt affect numerous outdoor events.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I work in an 80s tin shack (those office buildings with metal paneling all over them), no air con and we face southwest thus get all the afternoon sun (something we've not had much of this summer in fact). So I definitely know about hot working environments. It easily gets 30c+ in here which makes tea drinking much more challenging!

Plenty of cold water, all the windows and doors open, come to work in shorts and nip out every so often for some fresh air. No problem then unless it's a real scorcher...

It's a much better environment than in winter when we have absolutely no fresh air coming in at all so it ends up stuffy & warm and almost oxygen free! This, along with early sunsets, is a recipe for awful afternoon headaches. Opening the window helps but my colleague will throw a hissy fit if he gets even a light breath of cool air on him...

Posted

we finally get some hot weather but typically it has been mainly cloudy this week with only sunny intervals so im annoyed i cant sunbathe, :wallbash:

I think theres more chance of swansea beating man city on the opening weekend of the prem than that happening :clap:

So very likely then :whistling:

Can't complain too much, as we were one of the sunniest areas in July.

Posted

The forecast for today was for some heavy rain, but as always it didn't happen here :rolleyes:

There was a few showers, but nowhere near as much rain as forecast.At least it's much cooler this evening compared to recent evenings :good:

Posted

is it too much too ask for there to be one day of wall to wall sunshine, this week has been warm/hot but there has been too much cloud about for my liking, as usual it clears up around 6pm, too late to sunbathe then :wallbash:

Posted

As someone who loves and waits for warm sunny days throughout the winter this thread is wonderful for me to let off steam otherwise my friends get it. So thankyou!

I'm currently trying to pretend it's spring - it's certainly much more like mid-spring at present. Roll on summer 2012 which statistically should be a lot better. I'm off to hibernate with my summer S.A.D.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Well, the Leeds weather shield is working well. Hardly a spot of rain today despite the forecast, certainly not as wide spread as first though! whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Well, the Leeds weather shield is working well. Hardly a spot of rain today despite the forecast, certainly not as wide spread as first though! whistling.gif

You must have been a bit too far east to catch the heavy downpour which was affecting the New Mills/Glossop area earlier today and which moved north into Yorkshire and then on into Durham. I was too far south but then that's been the story of the whole summer so far, always too far east/west/north/south.

Posted

Yet another foul weekend here. Today was diabolical like so many days of this utterly repugnant summer. Cold, wet and sunless all day. Many reports of flooding but thankfully we avoided the worst of the deluge here. Still had 11mm of rain and temps stuck on 12-13C :bad:

It just keeps getting worse and worse with the first week of August being one of the poorest starts to summer month I can recall. Already had well over half the monthly rain average and the lowest sunshine total for the first week of any month since February 2010. Still at least we can boast 3 times as much sunshine as Kinloss, where there has been only 4.1 hours sun for the first week of August :shok:

Doubt there is anywhere on earth that has such awful summer weather has what we've been enduring for the past month. Just day after day of depressing grey overcast and abysmal well below average temperatures. Even the Faeroe Islands have a higher sunshine average than what we've had over the past month. I make today the 17th day out of 30 since 9th July to have had less than an hour of sunshine- two more than during last years dull November :(

Not seen 21C since 3rd June and if it isn't reached again by Friday then we will see a new record set for consecutive summer days below 21C, beating the previous record of 69 days set in 1980 and 1998 (with records for Dyce going back 70 years) :nonono:

Edited by Richard2901

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

A fairly decent weather week, but again a Sunday with the worst weather.

Todays been terrible, but a bonus thundery downpour this evening was good

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Apart from Thursday really nothing to complain about here. Today had a good deal of sunshine although quite breezy. This evening we've had a couple of showers and it does definitely feel cooler than I'd like but still - compared to many of you we've done pretty well it seems.

Sadly only a distant rumble of thunder so there's a quick whine!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A quick whine.....no storms, no summer, bugger..

There...I feel better for saying that!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

This summer is really turning out quite fair for here i think. Good very warm sunny spells, a bit of rain and a few Thunderstorms thrown into the Mix. A more spaced out summer I feel. Certainly the best summer since 2006 here imo however i Understand this view will vary dramatically by place to place.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I have a feeling for my location Tuesday will be the only dry day this week, tomorrow rain, then rain on wednesday, the front lingering into friday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

I feel sorry for those in Scotland with endless wet and dull weather.

My gripe is that this is the FIFTH consecutive S.W.ly Atlantic dominated summer and the FOURTH consecutive summer that has been deficient in any interesting events in this part of the S.E.

Thunder has only been heard on 3 days this year (23rd April / 18th June / 28th June) after the paltry 4 days total in 2010 and 6 days in 2009. Although there were 15 days in 2008, very few of these were in the summer and all these totals fall short of the 25 year mean of 16 days per year expected for Guildford.

This summer has produced a concoction of boring and predictable situations with long boring waits with the end result being yet another downgrade. Today is yet another example - heavy showers, perhaps thundery, clearing to sunny periods. Yet again, there were no showers, just the usual cloudiness and breeze and humid discomfort when the wind decreased. Today's letdown follows last week's when this region was supposed to get thundery showers on Wednesday - only for the usual culprits to get yet another exciting event. Unlike summer's in the 1990's and early 2000's where a downgraded heatwave breakdown was usually followed by a showery S.W,ly-N.W.ly which did yield interesting events - it seems in recent years a heatwave breakdown downgrade also includes the 'unsettled' weather that follows it.

This is the fourth year of this type of summer crap where patience is running very low. Nothing seems to change and this pattern is reminiscent of the endless mild and rubbish snowless winters about a decade ago.

It's either;

(1) Cloudy (stratocumulus) & humid on days of promised showers and thunder events. The whole of July seemed to be dominated by sunny mornings, cloudy and humid afternoons and sunny evenings - data suggests a sunny month with just one dull day and 14 dull mornings - the extent of this afternoon cloudiness is hidden.

(2) Breezy, dull and humid and warm in S.W.ly warm sectors followed by a cold front with barely any rain.

(3) Frequent promises of thunder events which all get downgraded - pity other areas don't get the downgrades for a change.

(4) Constant run of Atlantic depressions that bring boring, predictable and dreary weather continuing this dirge of a summer.

Good points of summer 2011

(1) It gets light early in the morning and dark late in the evening! We are even slowly losing that privilege as we descend into autumn.

(2) The warm, sultry and bright weather is good for cycling and working if the humidity can stay low.

(3) The long periods of dry weather and missing showers benefits cycling and work.

Bad points of summer 2011

(1) Another Atlantic dominated summer.

(2) No proper anticyclonic weather since April, hence any heatwaves have been short lived and there is always enough humidity for cloud formation and sufficient stability to cause this cloud to become layered but not enough to prevent its development.

(3) This dreadful lack of thunderstorms persists for an unprecedented fourth year.

(4) Certain locations of the U.K. are favored over and over again with interesting events despite the synoptic situation previously resulting in the S.E. being favored.

(5) Any hot weather is accompanied by unpleasant high humidity and there is an unpleasant humid feel on the 'cooler' days.

(6) Any rain is in small amounts and there have been no large totals - except for 5th~6th June, which I missed when on holiday.

(7) Forecasts are frequently WRONG. This is usually when something interesting is forecast for this area but if it is somewhere else, then the forecast usually proves correct, often days in advance. Our downgrades are usually only hours before the event.

Time for a change - these dirges of summers are becoming predictably boring as we pass from one month to another with no feeling of real satisfaction at all.

I am not one of these people that likes endless rain but I do like SEVERE events and it would be nice to be treated to such an event a few times each month. Although I loathe humid and cloudy conditions with a passion, I find hot and sunny weather with low humidity (such as in 2003 and 2006) thoroughly enjoyable and makes me MORE energetic and actually motivated to get up in the morning.

I really hope we can lose this Atlantic dominated dross by the start of the winter as the only hope on the horizon is that we may get a fourth decent winter freeze after this fourth rubbish summer. After this awful summer the thought of an Atlantic dominated winter with no snow or cold fills me with real dread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I feel sorry for those in Scotland with endless wet and dull weather.

My gripe is that this is the FIFTH consecutive S.W.ly Atlantic dominated summer and the FOURTH consecutive summer that has been deficient in any interesting events in this part of the S.E.

Thunder has only been heard on 3 days this year (23rd April / 18th June / 28th June) after the paltry 4 days total in 2010 and 6 days in 2009. Although there were 15 days in 2008, very few of these were in the summer and all these totals fall short of the 25 year mean of 16 days per year expected for Guildford.

This summer has produced a concoction of boring and predictable situations with long boring waits with the end result being yet another downgrade. Today is yet another example - heavy showers, perhaps thundery, clearing to sunny periods. Yet again, there were no showers, just the usual cloudiness and breeze and humid discomfort when the wind decreased. Today's letdown follows last week's when this region was supposed to get thundery showers on Wednesday - only for the usual culprits to get yet another exciting event. Unlike summer's in the 1990's and early 2000's where a downgraded heatwave breakdown was usually followed by a showery S.W,ly-N.W.ly which did yield interesting events - it seems in recent years a heatwave breakdown downgrade also includes the 'unsettled' weather that follows it.

This is the fourth year of this type of summer crap where patience is running very low. Nothing seems to change and this pattern is reminiscent of the endless mild and rubbish snowless winters about a decade ago.

It's either;

(1) Cloudy (stratocumulus) & humid on days of promised showers and thunder events. The whole of July seemed to be dominated by sunny mornings, cloudy and humid afternoons and sunny evenings - data suggests a sunny month with just one dull day and 14 dull mornings - the extent of this afternoon cloudiness is hidden.

(2) Breezy, dull and humid and warm in S.W.ly warm sectors followed by a cold front with barely any rain.

(3) Frequent promises of thunder events which all get downgraded - pity other areas don't get the downgrades for a change.

(4) Constant run of Atlantic depressions that bring boring, predictable and dreary weather continuing this dirge of a summer.

Good points of summer 2011

(1) It gets light early in the morning and dark late in the evening! We are even slowly losing that privilege as we descend into autumn.

(2) The warm, sultry and bright weather is good for cycling and working if the humidity can stay low.

(3) The long periods of dry weather and missing showers benefits cycling and work.

Bad points of summer 2011

(1) Another Atlantic dominated summer.

(2) No proper anticyclonic weather since April, hence any heatwaves have been short lived and there is always enough humidity for cloud formation and sufficient stability to cause this cloud to become layered but not enough to prevent its development.

(3) This dreadful lack of thunderstorms persists for an unprecedented fourth year.

(4) Certain locations of the U.K. are favored over and over again with interesting events despite the synoptic situation previously resulting in the S.E. being favored.

(5) Any hot weather is accompanied by unpleasant high humidity and there is an unpleasant humid feel on the 'cooler' days.

(6) Any rain is in small amounts and there have been no large totals - except for 5th~6th June, which I missed when on holiday.

(7) Forecasts are frequently WRONG. This is usually when something interesting is forecast for this area but if it is somewhere else, then the forecast usually proves correct, often days in advance. Our downgrades are usually only hours before the event.

Time for a change - these dirges of summers are becoming predictably boring as we pass from one month to another with no feeling of real satisfaction at all.

I am not one of these people that likes endless rain but I do like SEVERE events and it would be nice to be treated to such an event a few times each month. Although I loathe humid and cloudy conditions with a passion, I find hot and sunny weather with low humidity (such as in 2003 and 2006) thoroughly enjoyable and makes me MORE energetic and actually motivated to get up in the morning.

I really hope we can lose this Atlantic dominated dross by the start of the winter as the only hope on the horizon is that we may get a fourth decent winter freeze after this fourth rubbish summer. After this awful summer the thought of an Atlantic dominated winter with no snow or cold fills me with real dread.

Post of the day. Take a Bow :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

An absolutely ridiculous evening of incessant rain yesterday on what was supposed to be a showery day. From 4pm until 10 it rained solid and all the time it was sunny just 10 or so miles to the south of here. How unlucky is that to have a train of showers liked up perfectly over my area for several hours. I just hope the next dry spell is meaningful enough to make up for it.

I just hope the next dry spell is meaningful enough to make up for it.

Here in mid warwickshire its more like i hope the next unsettled spell is meaningful enough to make up for all the dry weather this summer, only a few showers in this unsettled spell here, dry as a bone most days with just cool to warm and humid cloudy conditions alternating, looks dry on the models after saturday so no drought improvements likely here.