Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Shame the ridge of high pressure is arriving and leaving overnight. Means its got quite chilly, the rioters are not getting rained on and it'll be raining during the day tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I find it quite annoying that settled spells are so cloudy! I don't mind having the unsettled spells in between the settled as long as the spells of high pressure are actually sunny! I don't even ask for temperatures above 25C - 22C would be just fine if only the sodding sun was actually out and the clouds would naff off.

I also don't understand why long periods of rain have to come during the day in summer when they so often rattle on through overnight in autumn/winter, preceded and followed by a much brighter day. June 12th and July 17th were just awful in that respect.

I think the main thing missing from this summer is heat. One day of what I would call proper heat on June 26th as the last heatwave didn't materialise. I can't really complain on the thunder front as there have been many occasions this year where thunder has been heard some miles away but never actually overhead!

Moan over. Good night. :)

Posted

Really, Really annoyed about the strong wind today, this is damaging my tomatoes, i wont be surprised to go to my allotmant and find them all over the floor,

too make things worse its just cloudy and boring here all the time, all that heavy rain is up north as usual and the sunny spells r further south than me. so im too far south for the rain but too far north for the sunshine :wallbash:

Posted

I'd like to be able to have good whine about today's shocking weather but unfortunately there are no words in the English language to do justice as to how vile it's been :nonono:

Non-stop rain all day, an easterly wind and max of only 10.9C :shok::cold: . I have had to put the light on already as it''s so dark. Only four other August days as cold as 11C in the past 70 years (12/8/51, 16/8/62, 11/8/93, 24/8/93). Nothing colder.

That's a cold record equalled then. Friday should see a new one set with no prospect of reaching 21C by then. We'll be lucky to get temperatures as warm as 3C below average never mind 3C above :wallbash:

Posted

This is the third or fourth "summer" on the row that's been a disaster for North Wales, hasn't reached the magic 27 degrees here since June 2009, the longest run I can ever remember. Hasn't been that wet but temperatures have only reached 25 two or three times and 21 only about a dozen times. Seems to me that the weather patterns have shifted to very cold starts to Winters, then much milder through January, a warm April, May then an unsettled and cool summer. Shocking!

Pete

Posted

An absolutely dire start to August here, already mounting an assault to knock August 1985 off the top of coolest, wettest dullest ever etc.. never mind the run of poor julys, the run of bad augusts is much worse.

July was reasonable here, but overall this summer has been utter crap

the worst thing has been the lack of heat and how boring it has been. even 2009 had a heatwave week at the end of june and first 2 days of july, where it hit 30c in this area. haven't even hit 25c this summer which is appauling

Edited by rjd1000

Posted

I would like it if I didn't have to watch Finland get repeated heatwaves and temps near 30C this summer (yet another one upgrading in the charts and getting closer for them) while any suggestion of a warm/hot high or thundery plume here is squashed out of existence! For example one day next week the GFS shows 30C temps in parts of Finland while it's 15C and rain here dry.png

This is the third or fourth "summer" on the row that's been a disaster for North Wales, hasn't reached the magic 27 degrees here since June 2009, the longest run I can ever remember. Hasn't been that wet but temperatures have only reached 25 two or three times and 21 only about a dozen times. Seems to me that the weather patterns have shifted to very cold starts to Winters, then much milder through January, a warm April, May then an unsettled and cool summer. Shocking!

Pete

Similar here this year, but it hasn't quite reached 27C here since 2006. nonono.gif

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

I'm not too sure on the figures so far but to me this August seems dull in terms of the amounts of sunshine up here. I don't recall seeing too much of the sun during this week and the weekend and the last 2 days has certainly not seen much in the way of sunshine.

Hopefully the 2nd half of the month will be brighter.

Posted

It seems that here, August has been much better than July. We've seen lengthy sunny spells on every day but two, unlike the cloud-fest that was mid-July, ABOVE average temperatures (there was a warm spell at the start of the month, but today had a mean around 2C above average) and little rainfall with just 10mm. If there were thunderstorms here it would seem like a more traditional summer month. :)

June was also decent, with it being sunnier and slightly drier and warmer than average.

Posted

Not posted on here since returning from Cyprus last weekend as theres been less than 5 minutes of sunshine all week here, even by this summers standards its been bleak.

But im back to rage about the fact that next weekend aka V Festival weekend is 100% certain to downgrade to a washout from the nice weather being shown before, in fact the downgrades have begun already, what a joke this summer has been.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Not posted on here since returning from Cyprus last weekend as theres been less than 5 minutes of sunshine all week here, even by this summers standards its been bleak.

But im back to rage about the fact that next weekend aka V Festival weekend is 100% certain to downgrade to a washout from the nice weather being shown before, in fact the downgrades have begun already, what a joke this summer has been.

1st to 3rd Aug were very hot and sunnyish, but i still think for a 3rd year in a row the best weather was during wimbledon, summer generally goes downhill after the wimb finals, real summer for me is mid may to mid jul

Posted
1st to 3rd Aug were very hot and sunnyish,

I didn't even get that, just cloud and rain (as has become depressingly par for the course these past couple of years whenever the hot stuff reaches our shores).

August is turning into something of a shambles here.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yet again, im quite Happy with how the Summer is continuing. August so far has delivered a very decent mix of sunshine sometimes hot and a little bit of rain thrown in. The summer here in the UK may not have been superb especially in the North but in this part of the UK im really quite pleased because its Average and what we should expect from our Summer not endless heatwaves with High pressure slap bang over us. biggrin.png

No Telford Cloud fest here thats for sure. The Max temperature has not been below 20c here for some time. Just 260mm of rainfall to date for this year so far and were soon approaching 2/3 of the year gone. If Autumn is dry could we finish with less than 400mm for the year? smile.png Many probably wont be happy with this summer but those around here should be imo as the mix has been just right. Id give this summer up till now about 7 or 8/10. biggrin.png

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Again, I just whine about the incessant cloud cover. If only we could just get rid of the effing clouds I could put this summer into the decent catgory as it has been far from a washout.

Posted

I would like it if I didn't have to watch Finland get repeated heatwaves and temps near 30C this summer (yet another one upgrading in the charts and getting closer for them) while any suggestion of a warm/hot high or thundery plume here is squashed out of existence! For example one day next week the GFS shows 30C temps in parts of Finland while it's 15C and rain here dry.png

Similar here this year, but it hasn't quite reached 27C here since 2006. nonono.gif

Only a handful of days above 27 here since 2006 too. I kept detailed records from 1980-1990 and we averaged about 8 days a year at 27 or above, in 1983 alone we had more than 20. I live alongside the A55 which opened in 1985 and this has been the first year that traffic heading into Wales hasn't been queueing up on a Saturday or Sunday morning during the school holidays, it must have been a disaster for the resorts along the North Wales coasts. I can only remember one or two summers as poor as this in the 50 years I've lived here and one of those was last year.

Pete

Posted

Just as i told you the weather for next weekend is falling apart :lol:

This really has to of been the most dull/bland summer ive experienced ever, yes its been fairly dry but the greyness since May has been ridiculous.

The only reason the sunshine stats are never as low as they could be is because the suns always out before 9am and in the evenings yet between 9am-4pm theres

not been one not ONE! clear day of unbroken sunshine since 2nd? May.

And for the past week theres been about 10 minutes of sunshine in total, so yes it may go down 'average' overall but its been horrific here, definately the worst in living memory :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Just as i told you the weather for next weekend is falling apart laugh.png

This really has to of been the most dull/bland summer ive experienced ever, yes its been fairly dry but the greyness since May has been ridiculous.

The only reason the sunshine stats are never as low as they could be is because the suns always out before 9am and in the evenings yet between 9am-4pm theres

not been one not ONE! clear day of unbroken sunshine since 2nd? May.

And for the past week theres been about 10 minutes of sunshine in total, so yes it may go down 'average' overall but its been horrific here, definately the worst in living memory laugh.png

I swear there was some very sunny almost 100% clear skies for most of the day (If not some very sunny days nonetheless) towards the end of July when us in the central spine of the country was sunny yet West and East was cloudy. Around 25th July looking at Sat24 history. Surely it cant be as bad as the 2007 endless rainfall!

However I do not live in Telford so I cant say for certain but if it is as you say then the difference between you and down here is massive. laugh.png

Edited by Blizzards

Looks like another fairly hideous week of weather is coming up, it hasn't been too wet but so dark and damp. Looking at the models it seems that Autumn is now starting to wind up, I think it could get pretty wet as we head into September. A very... forgettable summer.

Edited by Barb-

Been a very humid cloudy spell of weather until today for what seems most of the summer, last night was the first cool night in ages its been horrid getting to sleep with nights of around 15C

Another hot plume for the weekend with cloudy skies and no thunderstorms :(

Posted

We seriously need rain down here, next to non has fallen this summer and after a really dry spring and winter.

It ALWAYS misses here, whether it be rai, snow, thunder, everything goes around us here??

All the rain forecast for tonight will miss us and what falls tomorrow will fall everywhere but here!!!

Is it too much to ask not to have to water the garden EVERY night???

End of moan! *takes deep breath and fetches hose out again*

(erm for the garden you dirty minded so-and-so!)

Posted

We seriously need rain down here, next to non has fallen this summer and after a really dry spring and winter.

It ALWAYS misses here, whether it be rai, snow, thunder, everything goes around us here??

All the rain forecast for tonight will miss us and what falls tomorrow will fall everywhere but here!!!

Is it too much to ask not to have to water the garden EVERY night???

End of moan! *takes deep breath and fetches hose out again*

(erm for the garden you dirty minded so-and-so!)

Its been dry for the Midlands for certain this summer regardless of anywhere else. Our grass is quite Brown now and so are many others and is not growing very fast. Its been wet up in the North but not down here at all. We did have a brief wet spell early on in the summer but other than that very dry and the next two weeks look very dry at least with us and the rest of the South enjoying many pleasant sunny days whilst the North sees more rain.

Just 260mm of rain so far this year still. Should this continue for the rest of the year, I think here could finish with less than 400mm. Some Mediterranean places must have more than that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Its been a very varied summer rainfall wise with many areas running below average whilst parts of eastern Scotland have had over twice their average August rainfall already. I dont personally keep rainfall figures but according to our nearest station the total rainfall for June and July here is 95.25mm. June 2007, July 2007, August 2008 and July 2009 all saw more than that amount in a single month. However i suspect when the August figures come out they will show around an inch which came from a persistent line of showers last Monday. However on the whole i would say that we have had the ideal amount of rainfall. Plenty of totally dry days but enough rainfall to keep things growing and looking green.

Its temperature wise where this summer has failed. Not enough hot days for my liking.

Posted

Yes, it's been very dry all over the Midlands, north and south (that's to say the north and south Midlands). For example, we've only had 273mm so far this year. The grass is really suffering everywhere.

Edited by IAmJohnnyDisco