Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

Posted

It'll all turn out alright in the end. Just have faith! In my forecast for a warmer August, that is. It doesn't all have to be glaringly obvious that warmth is coming this soon. But it will surely develop into the 2nd week of August.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

So far this has been an extremely poor summer, we are now heading into august and we've had more north/north east winds and cruddy cloudy days than sunny ones :wallbash:

Posted

The impossibility of getting a full sunny day here is very dissapointing, Monday turned cloudier from lunchtime, Tuesday turned cloudier from lunchtime, yesterday was mostly cloudy from just after lunchtime and today has been cloudy and hazy all day.

Thankgoodness im off to sunny Cyprus on Sunday!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

So far this has been an extremely poor summer, we are now heading into august and we've had more north/north east winds and cruddy cloudy days than sunny ones :wallbash:

:lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I'm just here to moan about the lack of sunshine, the temperatures are fine at the moment, where you'd expect them to be here in London in late July with 21-25C at the moment, but it's so annoying that there has to be so much cloud cover. That's the only problem I have with the climate of SE England, the summers are warm, but we are still affected with cloud like everywhere else, albeit probably less than most places. If London was actually a much sunnier city then it would be perfect climate wise I think, as we have the warmest summers in the UK and are also prone to very cold winters here.

Edited by robthefool

Posted

I would say an extremely average Summer!

Posted

I'm just here to moan about the lack of sunshine, the temperatures are fine at the moment, where you'd expect them to be here in London in late July with 21-25C at the moment, but it's so annoying that there has to be so much cloud cover. .

My thoughts entirely Rob. The records will show the temperatures are just about average, rainfall just about average, but when it comes to sunshine during usefull daylight hours....absolute pants. Day after day its been overcast and cloudy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I would say an extremely average Summer!

My thoughts exactly. I might not be that old but its the most average summer I can remember! :D No massive extremes and a really good balance of all the main British Weather types. Weve had 6 Thunderstorms, warm to very warm occasionally hot temperatures, a right amount of rain and sunshine. Too many expect far too much from this country.

Posted

My thoughts exactly. I might not be that old but its the most average summer I can remember! :D No massive extremes and a really good balance of all the main British Weather types. Weve had 6 Thunderstorms, warm to very warm occasionally hot temperatures, a right amount of rain and sunshine. Too many expect far too much from this country.

It is not too much to expect one summer month with above average sun and temperatures and below average rainfall, after at least 8 July and Augusts with all the opposite.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Be just good to have 'average' - you know 22c-23c maxes for a majority of the time sprinkled with some above average spells i.e. 3-4 days at a time instead of a single wonderful day (like yesterday) in a sea of cool cloudy days. Yes gotta expect some cooler days (like today) but not 50-60% of the time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

With the summer CET running at its lowest for 20 years i think many of are allowed to feel let down and expecting better. Such a cool summer cant be described as average as theres been no proper very warm spell yet. July 1996 was bang on the 71-00 average and that had some decent spells, far better than this July. Just shows what an average July is capable of delivering.

Posted

Everything has been below average here; sunshine, rainfall, and temperatures. How dry it's been cannot compensate for how dull and cool it's been. For example, we look like we'll be recording a mean temperature almost 1°C below average. That is disappointing.

Posted

With the summer CET running at its lowest for 20 years i think many of are allowed to feel let down and expecting better. Such a cool summer cant be described as average as theres been no proper very warm spell yet. July 1996 was bang on the 71-00 average and that had some decent spells, far better than this July. Just shows what an average July is capable of delivering.

Yes, this has been a month of dull and boring consistent mediocrity, in my location and most others the max temp has never been more than 3-4 degrees above the average max. Even in an average month there are usually a period of 4-5 days at 4-8 degrees above the average max.

Even in the below average June just gone places got into the 30's compared with the long term (30-yr) avg. max of 18-20°C (albeit on one day). July was just dull and boring. UK weather at its most tedious. And there were plenty of considerably cold days at least here. I don't call a high of 13°C (on 18th) mild, let alone warm. It's down right cold.

Oh well, roll on August. It will be the warmest month of the summer and even see some southerly winds which could give spells of temperatures of 25-35°C.

Edited by EaasmanG

Posted

just come back from 4 days in north norfolk cloud windy all the time we was there on wednesday we went hunstanton to cromer on the coast it was like mid november cold wind blowing n e i had flesse waterpoof coat , hat on in late july!!!! the temp in car said 16 c

Posted

Another grim sunless day today, rather cool aswell with that nagging breeze.

Thank goodness im off to Cyprus on Sunday though typical that next week looks warm & thundery here :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

worst thing on 12Z deepest FI, 264-end virtually, is the ideal set up for snow! why never happens in winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Why oh why is the Greenland high forming again just when i thought it was on the way out, just to spoil what remains of Summer. Got to say the weather in this country has become so utterly rubbish these past years its unbelievable. Send me back to the 90s please :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Why oh why is the Greenland high forming again just when i thought it was on the way out, just to spoil what remains of Summer. Got to say the weather in this country has become so utterly rubbish these past years its unbelievable. Send me back to the 90s please :nonono:

I disagree. Its finally become British weather again, a throw back to the 80s. Love it! We all dream of a year of Greeny Highs, a year of Greeny Highs, a year of Greeny highs, in the spring a greeny high, in the summer a greeny high, in the Autumn a greeny high and in the wintertime a greeny high, ch ch ch ch we all dream of permanent greeny high!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I disagree. Its finally become British weather again, a throw back to the 80s. Love it! We all dream of a year of Greeny Highs, a year of Greeny Highs, a year of Greeny highs, in the spring a greeny high, in the summer a greeny high, in the Autumn a greeny high and in the wintertime a greeny high, ch ch ch ch we all dream of permanent greeny high!!!!!!!

Just because the 80s was characterised by poor summers it doesn't mean that this is what's 'normal' I see a lot of posts always saying that 80s summers are typical British summers, which is total nonsense. How can you make a claim like that when the 90s were good summers? It's all opinion.

Posted

I agree that cooler/wetter/duller than average weather is often wrongly declared as average British summer fare. A lot of foreigners fall into this trap due to preconceptions about what normal British weather is, believing that a spell of cool, wet and cloudy weather in summer is normal but thinking that a spell of warm, dry and sunny weather is unusual, when of course they balance each other out (which is what the average is all about).

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

Just because the 80s was characterised by poor summers it doesn't mean that this is what's 'normal' I see a lot of posts always saying that 80s summers are typical British summers, which is total nonsense. How can you make a claim like that when the 90s were good summers? It's all opinion.

To him, the 90's were bad summers. He prefers cooler weather, which is perfectly fine. It does come off a bit strong though in his previous post.

Posted

As if to prove my point, I trawl through the text commentary for today's Test cricket and Sunil Gavaskar comes up with this nugget:

"The bowlers will be tired and it's a hot day, not a typical English day..."

:rolleyes: