Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

Posted

I am trying to remember when there was last July or August which included ALL these things:

-below average rainfall AND

-above average temperatures AND

-above average sunshine

How hard can it be to get ONE July/August that meets this criteria.

Every of the last 8 July or Augusts has either been wetter than average, cooler than average, cloudier than average or all three.

This is how it works out for my location, based on my records and the averages:

July 2007 - cooler, cloudier, wetter than average.

August 2007 - cooler, cloudier than average

July 2008 - wetter than average, cloudier than average

August 2008 - cloudier, wetter than average

July 2009 - cloudier, wetter than average

August 2009 - cloudier than average, wetter than average

July 2010 - cloudier, wetter than average

August 2010 - cloudier, wetter, cooler than average

July 2011 - cloudier, wetter, cooler than average

PFFFT.

So. July/August 2XXX - sunnier, dryer, warmer than average ??????????????????????????????????????????

Edited by EaasmanG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

You're going back to July 2006 for the last one that managed all three - and what a fantastic month it was! Absolutely perfect - the *lowest* maximum I got all month was 22c. And here we are thinking it's a good day if we make 21c...

July 2006 (my readings):

Average temperature: +22.3 °C

Average maximum temperature: +27.8 °C

Average minimum temperature: +16.8 °C

This month so far...

Average temperature: +17.9 °C

Average maximum temperature: +22.5 °C

Average minimum temperature: +13.4 °C

So far though identical rainfall - 35mm for both (so far).

But July 2007....

Average temperature: +16.7 °C

Average maximum temperature: +19.9 °C

Rainfall: 134mm

So lets be glad it ain't that bad!!

My colleague is going to Italy next week to see his wifes family - now we've found a correlation in that he goes then hot weather comes here. He went for 3 weeks in July 2006 and went last April for two 2 weeks - now both those months were record breakers. We're now hoping for some proper heat now to arrive as he heads off!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Id like to have a complain not about the summer in general because Here at least its been decent but my complaint goes the East which has had far too many storms recently which seems day after day! Also, the Cape values etc havent been that superb recently there yet some great storms have kicked off there yet if you place those values here nothing as good seems to form!

Thankfully this Low shall move away soon and get rid of the East's storms because arent some places on about 10 storms now?!?. :lol:

yeah but just think if this had been winter! Scotland and the East would be seeing massive amounts of snow, maybe a bit of snow for western coasts as well, but central areas bone dry

Posted

You're going back to July 2006 for the last one that managed all three - and what a fantastic month it was! Absolutely perfect - the *lowest* maximum I got all month was 22c. And here we are thinking it's a good day if we make 21c...

July 2006 (my readings):

Average temperature: +22.3 °C

Average maximum temperature: +27.8 °C

Average minimum temperature: +16.8 °C

This month so far...

Average temperature: +17.9 °C

Average maximum temperature: +22.5 °C

So far though identical rainfall - 35mm for both (so far).

Nottingham is currently running at 20.6°C average maximum, slightly below average (0.2°C or so) with an average low of 11.4°C. This about makes sense compared with my averages, located 1,000ft up (avg max 17.9°C so far).

http://www.met.readi...rugge/CURR.html

Station 03354 - Nottingham Weather Centre.

For comparison purposes London Heathrow is running at an avg max of 22.0°C, some 1.6 degrees below average, but joint warmest in the country along side Gravesend.

Over here, July 2006 was also the latest July or August to meet my three criteria. But the last summer month to do so was June 2010 which was sunnier, dryer and warmer than average.

Edited by EaasmanG

Posted

2011 in Shrewsbury so far:

Snow falling- 1 day

Snow lying - 1 day

Maximum depth- 2cm

Last snow falling (and lying)- January 7

Thunder heard- 2 days

Overhead- 1 day

Max Duration- 1 hour

Last thunder (and overhead)- May 9

Days over 25C- 4

Days over 26C- 1

Days over 30C- 0

I'll have to look in the Oxford Dictionary for inspiration, as the only adjectives I can think of are "tedious" and "boring".

Posted

The only live data I know of is the 'Wendy Windblows' hang gliding site but you have to subscribe to access it. The wind speed data from the site is excellent and the temp's mostly quite good although the sensor reads too high on sunny days in summer. The rainfall data from that site is not much use as the gauge is on the pub roof and loses most of the catch in the wind.

For rainfall data go to the Met' Office site, click on mountain forecasts, then Peak District and then recent data.

The environment agency gauge is situated just off the road side on the Macclesfield side of the pub and is reasonably accurate apart from in gales.

The rainfall at the Cat and Fiddle is now 94 mm in the 24 hrs to 1400 g.m.t.

Ahh, thankyou! Some silly amounts of rain there, it hasn't seemed too wet in the south east of the Peaks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Id like to have a complain not about the summer in general because Here at least its been decent but my complaint goes the East which has had far too many storms recently which seems day after day! Also, the Cape values etc havent been that superb recently there yet some great storms have kicked off there yet if you place those values here nothing as good seems to form!

Thankfully this Low shall move away soon and get rid of the East's storms because arent some places on about 10 storms now?!?. :lol:

The true East has had naff all this year, aim your bazooka at the NE, they've been hogging everything nonono.gif:D Not only that, Edinburgh seems to have grown a storm magnet recently ph34r.gif

For the record I'm on 3 storms for the year cray.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

16c & slate grey skies today so far. My house is only just 19c at the moment. It feels like a typical cloudy easterly in April today - not high summer at all.

Hopefully some sun later as I want to go home & open the windows when I get in, not turn the fire on! Spend enough time of the year under that regime without it spreading to the brief summer months.

And it's so so hard to get up when the house has a chill on it and it's so dull out. The comparison to a few weeks back when I was awake before the alarm is significant. I've overslept twice this week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer, easy really!!

Eastbourne has been truly dismal this year particularly where storms (or rather the lack of) are concerned. Cd someone pls advise where I could get information on storm stats this year vs previous years for different parts of UK?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The Met Office has lightning maps going back to 2001:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/anomacts/

Remember to change the "map type" to "Actual" rather than "1971-2000 average" as lightning strike maps cannot be compared to long-term averages.

Tutiempo.net has stats for various stations:

http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/United_Kingdom/GB.html

Weather Underground also has data for numerous airports across the country going back to 1996.

Posted

Yet another horrid day today, just flat featureless skies here for days and days on end now, been pretty much no sunshine since Friday Morning other than a bit on Saturday afternoon which was ruined by 40mph gusts of wind.

Since Sunday there has not even been one minute of sunshine over 4 days, 100% cloudcover from dawn till dusk and im really not surprised at all that 22-24c and sunshine is being shown next week while im not going to be able to enjoy it and it looks set to end Thursday Night when i come back home for a few days before i go on holiday.

Awful luck :lol:

Posted

Eastbourne has been truly dismal this year particularly where storms (or rather the lack of) are concerned. Cd someone pls advise where I could get information on storm stats this year vs previous years for different parts of UK?

even though its been a stop start well mostly stop summer here in the land of sheep,im hoping the good old british weather will perk up for the school hols..because one things for sure itl be majorca next year B)

..Sunlover your INSTALLING SUMMER part at the bottom of your post made me :lol: thats quality hats off to you QUALITY.....

Posted

A high temperature so far of 13.6 degrees - what the F.U.D.G.E is this, in JULY?????

Utter joke.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer, easy really!!

http://www.metoffice...te/uk/anomacts/

Remember to change the "map type" to "Actual" rather than "1971-2000 average" as lightning strike maps cannot be compared to long-term averages.

Tutiempo.net has stats for various stations:

http://www.tutiempo....Kingdom/GB.html

Weather Underground also has data for numerous airports across the country going back to 1996.

Many thanks TWS - shall look up to see if my suspicions are confirmed

even though its been a stop start well mostly stop summer here in the land of sheep,im hoping the good old british weather will perk up for the school hols..because one things for sure itl be majorca next year B)

..Sunlover your INSTALLING SUMMER part at the bottom of your post made me :lol: thats quality hats off to you QUALITY.....

Ha - glad you liked it

My brother sent it to me and I just couldn't resist adding it as seemed somehow appropriate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

'orrid days coming up, tomorrow and friday look wet, next week looks wet, this time of year stinks for rain, 20-22 July

20-21st July 07, exceptionally wet

22 July 10, exceptionally wet

21-22 July 11, wet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

'orrid days coming up, tomorrow and friday look wet, next week looks wet, this time of year stinks for rain, 20-22 July

20-21st July 07, exceptionally wet

22 July 10, exceptionally wet

21-22 July 11, wet?

Next week looks wet? Where on Earth are you looking! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

http://www.metoffice...te/uk/anomacts/

Go to actual lightning strikes August 2004 :shok: I remember that month well

Posted

Yep another chilly, grey day here. Overnight min was 15c which is fairly mild but it really doesn't feel it with this nasty raw easterly wind on. Horrible weather and more something we get more of in late winter & spring than high summer. Roll on pattern change as this is just dreadful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

A little bit of sunshine here Conor. :lol:

However it has been a bit of a grey week but for all of us not just Telford so your not alone. :)

Posted

To rub salt in the wounds the potential for the hottest spell of the summer is there while im in Cyprus and the charts are showing plenty of cloud over Cyprus to :lol:

I think the sun just likes to avoid me considering next week looks tropical to while im stuck indoors till 5-6pm everyday.

Posted

So, July then, at least the way it was here:

Mediocre bog standard boring homogenous crap for a week, followed by an epic drizzle-fest of some 2 and a half inches rain, with record low max temperatures mid-month, and now what appears to be a hideous north-easterly wind development flexing its muscles to chill this rotten little Island further, summing up the first two months of this tedious gnarly cold borefest non-summer.

Then we'll have August, a month that better shape its ass into gear and provide at least a week of summery weather, not a heatwave (now that would be asking too much), or this will go down as the worst summer I've experienced in my entire life.

I wish I'd spent my savings on that holiday in Florida now for my storms and my summer but I still somehow have an interest in weather enough to have bought a weather station instead.

Before anyone comes on whining at me about my whine at the weather, go talk to a wall. And have a nice day! :acute:

Posted

So, July then, at least the way it was here:

Mediocre bog standard boring homogenous crap for a week, followed by an epic drizzle-fest of some 2 and a half inches rain, with record low max temperatures mid-month, and now what appears to be a hideous north-easterly wind development flexing its muscles to chill this rotten little Island further, summing up the first two months of this tedious gnarly cold borefest non-summer.

Then we'll have August, a month that better shape its ass into gear and provide at least a week of summery weather, not a heatwave (now that would be asking too much), or this will go down as the worst summer I've experienced in my entire life.

I wish I'd spent my savings on that holiday in Florida now for my storms and my summer but I still somehow have an interest in weather enough to have bought a weather station instead.

Before anyone comes on whining at me about my whine at the weather, go talk to a wall. And have a nice day! :acute:

Buxton only needs 45 more hours of sunshine for the remainder of the month to be the 2nd sunniest July in the last 8 years - some way behind the ridiculous July 2006 of course, but it would beat decent months such as July 2003 and 2005. In terms of averages it's not been too bad really! Your problem is the Peak's climate, there's been no shocking month this year, in terms of wind, rain and a lack of sunshine. Yes, even February wasn't too bad considering autumn 2006 and winter 2006/07.

Posted

Buxton only needs 45 more hours of sunshine for the remainder of the month to be the 2nd sunniest July in the last 8 years - some way behind the ridiculous July 2006 of course, but it would beat decent months such as July 2003 and 2005. In terms of averages it's not been too bad really! Your problem is the Peak's climate, there's been no shocking month this year, in terms of wind, rain and a lack of sunshine. Yes, even February wasn't too bad considering autumn 2006 and winter 2006/07.

I never knew we could be on the way to the 2nd sunniest July in 8 years with only 102 hours sunshine so far. LOL

What gets me is not alone the Peak District's climate but the sheer mediocrity and consistent boringness of this summer. The forecast shows 15°C highs and overcast for almost every single day in the next 6 days! It's just devoid of anything interesting or good.

Posted

Daily whine today about the fact that the heatwave over Cyprus looks set to end next Sunday for my arrival and GFS frequently shows cloud and showers risk! not amused.

Yet another cloudy day so far here, theres plenty of breaks in the cloud around now however but none have moved towards the sun..