Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I do feel bad for those in Ireland, Scotland and NW England, It really has been a 5th successive poor summer for them now. Here I would class 2010 as a good summer and 2009 as average, with the previous two before that being bad summers for here. However other than the brief hot spell where we got 33C a fortnight ago it has been poor for London standards here, most days this July so far just 20 or 21C which is 3C below average and frustratingly lots of cloud cover with clear skies at night...

I think there is some 'SE hate' so to call it in the model thread, anyone from the SE complaining about the summer so far which while it hasn't been awful, hasn't been great either seems to get shot down by other people from NW areas who seem to think that 20C and cloudy is a nice warm day for down here unknw.gif Maybe i'm just a southern wuss but 20C for high summer actually feels quite cool with a breeze for here!

Posted

Looking at today's charts this July is certain to join the last few in the rubbish camp, absolutely hideous charts with no saving grace.

Just more proof that even with the northern blocking getting weakened the summer can't be saved...

AND on top of that what was looking like a decent week is now dissolving into the usual rubbish, today was mostly cloudy after a sunny start surprise surpise and then no shocks as usual tommorow and Wednesday the dreaded North Sea murk and cloud thrown up from the South East both look like reaching here, so ironic how we always end up on the cloudy side of the split whatever direction the NW/SE split happens to be.

Thursday looks like dissolving into showers to after a bright start, absolute rubbish, i don't expect endless sunshine all summer but ONE sunny day a week is not to much to ask for surely...

Edited by conor123

Posted

I do feel bad for those in Ireland, Scotland and NW England, It really has been a 5th successive poor summer for them now. Here I would class 2010 as a good summer and 2009 as average, with the previous two before that being bad summers for here. However other than the brief hot spell where we got 33C a fortnight ago it has been poor for London standards here, most days this July so far just 20 or 21C which is 3C below average and frustratingly lots of cloud cover with clear skies at night...

I think there is some 'SE hate' so to call it in the model thread, anyone from the SE complaining about the summer so far which while it hasn't been awful, hasn't been great either seems to get shot down by other people from NW areas who seem to think that 20C and cloudy is a nice warm day for down here unknw.gif Maybe i'm just a southern wuss but 20C for high summer actually feels quite cool with a breeze for here!

I live in the North West of England (Liverpool) and really taking this summer weather into context it has not been as bad as many seem to make out even here in the North West. Yes we have had some washout and rainy days but overall it seems that this summer so far frontal rain or completely overcast skies has been rare with most rainfall coming in the form of convective showers (and we also had an impressive thunderstorm on Thursday). As we have a martime climate in the UK, charaterised by moderately warm summers as opposed to hot and dry Spanish or Greek style ones with our rainfall being distributed equally thoughout the year, we are not supposed to have hot summers in this country. Looking at our climate in context (and looking at the statistics from the past it does seem that the weather this summer is pretty normal for my part of the world. In fact I do think sunshine wise we are above average actually were I live at least there has only been 1 day that I remember that was almost totally overcast.

The only whine from me is that if I was not browsing the Netweather forums everyday (e.g. the MOD thread) I would probably think that this summer has not been as bad as some of the posts on here seem to make it out to be - there does seem to be a lot of negativity in the forums at times especially the MOD thread that can sort of condition my brain to think that this summer is poor of even dire by UK standards but actually I am a very rational person when I am focused and the rational side of my brain tries to take over!

Luke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Wind, cloud cover and humidity are important. Up in Tyneside I've been finding temperatures of 18-20C pleasant, both in the dry sunny start to the month, and in the sunny intervals in the dramatic showery thundery spell that followed, primarily because there hasn't been much wind. Conversely even 21-23C can feel rather cool to me when there's a strong wind off the North Sea.

As for the weather, I've found this July pretty much perfect rainfall and sunshine wise so far in Tyneside, higher daytime temps would've been nice but as above it was still pleasant enough outside (which is a large part of the reason why I haven't taken well to the doom and gloom in MOD- my only whine recently has been that, like with snow in winter and warmth in spring, many seem only interested in prolonged high pressure in summer, while meanwhile I've been loving the recent weather).

However, I think my opinion of this July may well swing dramatically if the current outputs for Friday onwards verify. I have to admit to being a big fan of these slow moving showery thundery lows, but I'm not a fan of that changeable westerly type with fronts crossing the country at regular intervals.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i dont know what you lot are moaning about...here we are having a dire summer very wet and cool which has followed a cold wet spring which follwed a cold snowy winter...all this rain has caused an explosion of mosquitoes that eat you alive even through your clothes..and all this is in one of the sunniest and driest cities in Canada. :wallbash:

Posted

Just to add, it's been a good old fashioned decent summer here. Average temperatures, higher than average sunshine amounts and slightly below average rainfall. Not bad. :)

Posted

and here too, 9 of the 11 days have been mainly sunny, of which 5 were unbroken sunshine, and the other 2 cloudy and warm. only 15mm rain which fell over 2 nights.

the last 4 julys have been disasters here, and this one has already beaten them, with max's of 19c-21c and one day 25c

Edited by rjd1000

Posted

Here:

7 of 11 days of July failed to reach 20°C

Rain in the form of light showers or drizzle on 6 days (the amount is irrelevant - I'd rather have had 100mm if it fell in a few hours in a thunderstorm)

97 hours of cloud out of 165 hours of daylight (68 hours sunshine) - admittedly it's not awful and better than last July, but it's still dull by world standards.

Some very cold nights. 5 out of 11 nights went below 10°C, one night even went down to 5°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

To me weather summer is good or bad has little to do with how it compares to average. If the average June high is 17c here, then the average June is "bad". Any summer month with an average high below 20c isn't really summer.

I only moved here in 2009 after living in Lincolnshire which was much hotter than here (about 3c warmer) and I'm soon to move there again, at least it was much dryer and summers weren't as bad. One hardly needed to wear a coat at all in July and August there.

76mm recorded on my weather station, which is only slightly below my average (81mm), and total rainfall is not a good indicator of how rainy it was.

I prefer to use duration of rainfall and number of days with rain. I recorded 22 days with rain in June, most of our 76mm came in the form of drizzle and weak prolonged showers on all those days. Trying to find the right time to go out was like playing cat and mouse with the showers. Most days, a continuous stratum of incontinent cloud which couldn't decide when to spit or drizzle.

Well, I can understand the summers must seem poor if you're comparing them to an average summer in Lincolnshire but then you must have known that moving to somewhere at 330 odd metres a.s.l in the Peak District would be like a different world climatically.

Only the very best summers here would compare favourably to an average one in Lincolnshire and I stand by my assertion that if you were to experience a really bad one it would seem like early November- which this one does not.

Well, I can understand the summers must seem poor if you're comparing them to an average summer in Lincolnshire but then you must have known that moving to somewhere at 330 odd metres a.s.l in the Peak District would be like a different world climatically.

Only the very best summers here would compare favourably to an average one in Lincolnshire and I stand by my assertion that if you were to experience a really bad one it would seem like early November- which this one does not.

Well said terminal, i mean come on if you live in the peak district what do you expect, hot summers like in London, its bound to be much colder due to being in the north midlands and with elevation, even here in the south midlands if you live high up the weather will be cooler, rural areas especially valleys here are like a different world at night where it easily gets down to 0C even in the summer in clear calm nights with near average 850's but just a mile away here on the edge of a big town its much milder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

For me it hasn't been a *bad* summer so far although certainly not a *great* one either.

We've had a good deal of days that make the summer 'benchmark' - like yesterday for example.

The benchmark for me is temps 16c+ by the time I go to work (8am), maxes around 23-24c, it's still around 21c when going out at 7:30ish and it's still around 17c coming home at about 11pm. Mins around 14-15c. Coupled with sunny spells/long periods of sunshine. Definitely no heatwave but very pleasant for most of the time.

For me that's a decent but not first class summers day (maxes 25-27c+, unbroken sunshine, mins around 18c) but definitely not a poor day (maxes below 20c with no sunshine coupled with extensive rain - not sourced from thunderstorms).

Poor days have been few & far between (late last week gave us some of those) but first class days have been equally as rare. Around here it's been a usable fairly average summer so far. If it continued in the same way it would probably beat all summers post 2006 which have all included fairly poor Julys & Augusts (especially sunshine wise).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

looks like another very wet Sunday coming up, as usual rain looks like arriving in the day, and not at night, Fri night dry, Sat wet, sat night dry, sun wet, sun night dry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

It's not been great on this side of the NW/SE split line. Tooo many cool cloudy and breezy days for my liking.

In all honesty I think much of the moaning (of which I have been guilty of as much as anyone) stems from the failure of the "shades of 76" summer forecast to materialise. Oh and before anyone picks me up on that, I would hardly think the odd very warm day here and there constitutes anything remotely like a normal summer.

My idea of a normal summer would have plenty of cool unsettled weather for sure, but also at least one very warm/hot spell of at least 5 days duration....which has NOT happened this summer.

For me, the "shades of 76" forecast raised hopes and expectatations too high for many of us. Hardly surprising though after a series of rotten summers from 2007 onwards but there you go.

If I was to pin any label on this summer so far, it would be "boring as hell"...pretty much cloudy and cool with the odd nice day here and there, with one striking fact. Not one single rumble of thunder so far..

Edited by Carl43Wrexham

Posted
I stand by my assertion that if you were to experience a really bad one it would seem like early November- which this one does not.
It will do if today's craptacular charts verify!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Ah and 16 of the days in June had cooler mean temperatures than some of the days of last November so half the summer's already been like an early November day. LOL. I agree with Carl above, this summer has been "boring as hell", no thunder yet either, and as somebody from the SE originally, I think I've the right to say summers up here feel like November every year compared with the SE. Particularly when its cooler than average. Edited by EaasmanG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Apart from the 2 day heatwave back min June it has been a very boring and unremarkable summer so far. However it has been far better than some recent ones for the amount of pleasant, useable weather with decent temperatures of 19-22c. But nothing stands out at all which i shall remember in the years to come, apart from perhaps experiencing that one day where we got up to 30c here.

Posted

No shocks that yet again its cloudy here today, 100% cloudcover aswell!

Well the tables flip and the South gets the worst of the weather we ALWAYS still get the cloud here aswell :lol:

Posted

To be honest i dont long for 30c + temps, all i want to see is unbroken sunshine and temps of 22/23c which would feel great in the sun in summer. The problem isnt the temps in summer its the horrible cloud cover, and wind like today and rain obviously, but i have an allotmant so i need rain.

Posted

Yet again yes yet again its overcast today, and the charts don't even get5 me started oh how HIDEOUS they are.

It looks pretty much certain now that this July will be another month for the bin and were not even halfway through, just watch the first week of September a massive 1035mb high will move in and sit there for weeks whilst in June we couldn't even get that high to stick around for more than 2 days...

This Summer has already joined 2007 & 2008 in the rubbish books now because the period in which i want the best of the Weather Mid May - Mid July has delivered barely any nice days, less in fact than 2007 and 2008!

Whilst 2009 was a very wet summer sunshine amounts were always good and we'd seen 28c by now, and whilst last July was the dullest on record here we had a very decent June.

The trees may aswell shed their leaves now as after tommorow there won't be any sunshine or days above 18c for quite some time...

Edited by conor123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes a very grim outlook indeed. Looks like the birthday party I'm going to at the weekend won't enjoy being able to spill out into the garden like it usually does :(

Hopefully things will bounce back somewhat after this upcoming wet spell. If it does keep going in that way for the remainder of summer then I can see myself looking at heading to a tropical island again over winter. Just can't cope with without some decent outdoors weather for such a long period!

Posted

Another disgusting dull cool day with temps only 14c, truly awful i have seen warmer days in febuary, on the bright side at least that horrible easterly has gone

The weekend looks turgid,:wallbash:

Posted

Great,if they're not freezing their wotsits off in snow all winter they are having another heatwave in russia.we get dull cool rubbish. Moan over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Yeah.. Russia has had one hell of a good climate in recent years while we've suffered.. freezing snowy winters which are normal, but then flaming hot summers at the same time.. Moscow is meant to be almost as hot as London during July and slightly cooler in the other two summer months despite being on the same latitude as South Scotland, but last year they had that famous heatwave which seemed to last ages and so far this summer whenever i've looked i've seen mins of 17-20C and max's of 29-32C... so unfair.

It's been a horrible week here though as well in the SE, although not as bad as other areas it's only 21C which is below average and as TWS said it feels cool because of the low humidity and a cool wind with no sun to make it feel warm.

Posted

The last day before the long washout begins and just like everyday this week its turning into a cloudy mess, cloudless skies at 9am but now 75% cloudcover which means 90% cloudcover by 11am which will stay at 80-100% until 4pm as always and today was the last hope at any prolonged sunshine for the rest of the month possibly...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The last day before the long washout begins and just like everyday this week its turning into a cloudy mess, cloudless skies at 9am but now 75% cloudcover which means 90% cloudcover by 11am which will stay at 80-100% until 4pm as always and today was the last hope at any prolonged sunshine for the rest of the month possibly...

Lovely weather here in Darlington, second successive day with blue sky's and sunshine, it's nice and pleasent to.