Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Trouble is many on here do not remember (or were not even born) the truly awfulness of the mid 1980s Summers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Trouble is many on here do not remember (or were not even born) the truly awfulness of the mid 1980s Summers!

The winters were absolute stonkers though.1987 being the ultimate (10 days off school)

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Again another sunday with rain looking likely, with a dry night tonight and dry tomorrow night, the queens tennis final looks like being played on monday, and so does the womens final in birmingham

I just dont understand how these washout systems never arrive at night (or always arrive at night for SW england)

Posted

Yep I agree with those that this June has not been a total shocker so far, granted we had some chilly days(Last Sunday, the temp never reached double digits and that was without rain!) but we also had some very warm days at the start of the month and some reasonable days if albeit without any real sustained warmth. Granted its varies from area to area but so far this June has certainly not been dull in terms of the weather type(sunshine and showers was the story of the week for some) nor the lack of

sunshine*.

* With the Exception of Telford of course...

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted

Just because its dry doesnt mean its nice though, who really wants to sit in the garden in 14c with the odd spot of rain.

Those saying its been far from an awful month just like in May are those who have been 'lucky', as ive said before move to Shropshire and your understand.

Elton John is in Shrewsbury tomorrow. If he arrives in the 5am sunshine and has his lunch/afternoon practice, and concert washed out, only to see the sun reappear 10 minutes before it sets maybe he'll invent a song about it.

EDIT: I shouldn't have posted that because it almost makes me wish it would happen :oops:

Posted

So far this June for here at least can be best described as "pleasant" - its been mainly dry and it has only felt cool on the days with a notable breeze. The only thing that I can moan about so far is that there hasn't been much rainfall, which is much needed here!

Posted

Just because its dry doesnt mean its nice though, who really wants to sit in the garden in 14c with the odd spot of rain.

Those saying its been far from an awful month just like in May are those who have been 'lucky', as ive said before move to Shropshire and your understand.

I'm note sure how old your are Conor but have you factored in that some people can remember some truly awful Junes because of their age?

Can you remember the Junes of 1985, 1987 and 1991 for instance? June 1991 was bad but around here June 1987 was an absolute shocker. Still away to go with this June but the first 11 days haven't been as bad as that June of '87.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

June 2007 was a shocker in Cleadon in Tyne and Wear- the settled spell in the first 12 days was characterised by North Sea low cloud and average maxima of 15C and then most of the rest of the month was dull and very wet. Junes 1997 and 1998 were also pretty bad (1997 started with warm sunshine and some thundery outbreaks but became increasingly dull, cold and wet from the 11th onwards).

However, at nearby Durham none of those three Junes were as dull or cold as June 1987. I celebrated my 3rd birthday that month so wasn't old enough to "appreciate" it but the stats strongly bear out Mr_Data's assessment of the month.

Most recent Junes have been poorly received in MOD- I posted earlier about how there was often a lot of negativity during June 2010 (statistically a warm dry sunny one) and if I remember rightly the perceptions of Junes 2008 and 2009 were also strongly negative and I remember making quite a few references to the stats reminding people that many regions were sunnier and drier than average (and, in the case of 2009, warm in the south and west). So unfortunately the lack of perspective is nothing new!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I'm sorry but some are over doing how poor this month is in here. I mean look at this week where we've been dominated by Low pressure yet it hasn't been a washout at all. Sure it has not been overly warm but very nice in the Sun interspersed with sharp showers and some Thunder. Its all too easy to look at Low pressure and think rain rain and rain.

Tomorrow isn't going to be nice at all but in general it ends up better than it first looks. The next 2 weeks don't look great but they are not bad and i certainly wouldn't describe them worse than 2007. Are we seeing floods? No.

Saying this however, if there was some sort of pattern with these colder winters, cooler wetter summers over the past few years as much as i like snow, i would like some slightly milder, wetter winters if it meant a better summer however of course it does not work like this.

One thing that's slightly annoying me here is the use of the longest day which I think is being used in the wrong context here. It will not be until late July/Early August before any proper daylight changes get under way. Its like winter - winter does not peak generally speaking until January/Early Feb (although I know some will disagree) so for Summer we know it shouldn't really peak until July/Early August. Just because the days are about 30 minutes shorter doesn't mean its going to be nippy and all doom and gloom!

Overall, the temperatures may not look high but get in the sun and it is very very pleasant. Its the same with the models, they are not great by any means but really its not as bad as it first looks. A little perspective and less jumping the gun is vastly needed. If anyone is calling summer over on June 11th is barking mad. Anyone calling winter over on December 11th is barking mad! :lol: Things can change so quickly. Last winter was looking superb but by January we very quickly changed to a milder, less wintry one and lets be honest very few us of never expected early January to be our last snow which is the case for many of us down here. But it just shows how things can suddenly change.

I appreciate some will disagree with what I have said and I know the weather all has Its differences in different places but for many of you ask yourself... Has it really been that dreadful? Have you been flooded? Are you frozen cold by day?

For 99% realistically I am sure the answer to all 3 is no. If your expecting many days of sunshine and hot temperatures. Your in the wrong country.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

This month has been ok just the right mix for me some nice days for the kids to play in the garden. Nice enough to have a few day trips to Scarborough and just enough rain to keep the water butt topped up. Lets face it us Brits will never be happy whatever the weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

This month has been ok just the right mix for me some nice days for the kids to play in the garden. Nice enough to have a few day trips to Scarborough and just enough rain to keep the water butt topped up. Lets face it us Brits will never be happy whatever the weather.

You are absolutely right (bit in bold quoted for emphasis). For example, prolonged warm dry settled spells often trigger complaints that the weather is too hot and/or too boring and/or too dry, and some fall short of expectations (e.g. variable rather than plentiful sunshine due to patches of cloud circulating around the anticyclone).

I think some types of weather suit more of us than others, and that there are some types of weather that will suit the majority of us, but unfortunately none will satisfy everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

What did July and August bring that year? after a poor June.

In my neck of the woods July 1991 was warmer than average, average rainfall and sunshine. August 1991 was dry, warm and sunnier than average.

Posted

I was hoping my area would get a good soaking today, as it's bone dry around here.Hardly enough rain to wet the path so far as the rain is constantly weakening around my area :wallbash:

Posted

sweet jesus. middle of june, 11c and hammering down. even by our dubious standards that's pretty woeful. i'd probably consider selling my soul for two weeks of hot sunshine right now (without needing to board a plane to get it).

towards the end of april elsewhere on the forum, a wise man observed that we would shortly be paying for the glorious conditions we were enjoying then. i seem to remember his being derided by some at the time. he was right.

Posted

Oh come on , it's not so bad. we've had months of lovely weather, and a few days of rotten ( and even that has featured some sun, esp in the south east).

A few 10 -12 degree days in June is not unknown. I always almost expect the first 10 days or so of June to be very dodgy indeed - a lifetime of observations - and so it seems this year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I was hoping my area would get a good soaking today, as it's bone dry around here.Hardly enough rain to wet the path so far as the rain is constantly weakening around my area :wallbash:

swap locations? cor i wanna live there, fed up to the teeth of rain, always in the day as well here, never rains at night

your sig is also unbelievable, seems like a fantastic place weatherwise, dry in summer, snow in winter

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted

Absolute shocker here today, if we've had less than an inch and a half of rain I'd be surprised. I can't recall a day during the whole of winter as wet and miserable as it's been today.

Edited by Jack Wales

Oh come on , it's not so bad. we've had months of lovely weather, and a few days of rotten ( and even that has featured some sun, esp in the south east).

A few 10 -12 degree days in June is not unknown. I always almost expect the first 10 days or so of June to be very dodgy indeed - a lifetime of observations - and so it seems this year!

With all due respect i think you will find your location is a different planet to mine,a few rotten days?you got to be kidding me,more like 6 weeks of rotten days.

:nonono:

Posted

your sig is also unbelievable, seems like a fantastic place weatherwise, dry in summer, snow in winter

It sure is mate,but i don't really like prolonged dry weather.I much prefer a sun/showers type of day.As for winter well the last couple of winters have been awesome with lots of snow,although i think last decembers 18inches will take some beating :lol: Checkout the snow pics in my gallery :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

A horrible day here - indeed felt like a winter day at times. Low light levels, needing heating to keep the damp, cold feeling off - and the missus complaining greatly!

My courtyard flooded too as blockage somewhere making the whole house stink of drains for a few hours. I couldn't build a frame for my tomato plants as I intended this weekend nor go for the hour jog we wanted to do.

Got that stodgy heavy feeling of being trapped in a centrally heated house all day - the one that you spend almost two weeks in at Christmas!

Posted

Sorry for stating the obvious but this is the UK, why r people so shocked that we hardly ever get a week of wall to wall sunshine countrywide, it just dont happen here, get over it.:wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

A horrible day here - indeed felt like a winter day at times. Low light levels, needing heating to keep the damp, cold feeling off - and the missus complaining greatly!

My courtyard flooded too as blockage somewhere making the whole house stink of drains for a few hours. I couldn't build a frame for my tomato plants as I intended this weekend nor go for the hour jog we wanted to do.

Got that stodgy heavy feeling of being trapped in a centrally heated house all day - the one that you spend almost two weeks in at Christmas!

I know what you mean. Being consigned to the house in mid summer is a horrible feeling. Compare that to a nice summer evening when you can just wander outdoors when you please and potter around the garden. Weather like this just defeats the object of having light evenings as they are totally pointless.

Posted

jeez.

Haven't you people heard of GoreTex?

Lovely day to be out and about today.

All the vegetation green, fresh and vibrant.

Bonus was no pampered children and doting parents about. The darlings were all kept indoors.

I know what you mean. Being consigned to the house in mid summer is a horrible feeling. Compare that to a nice summer evening when you can just wander outdoors when you please and potter around the garden. Weather like this just defeats the object of having light evenings as they are totally pointless.

Taking into consideration your points of view on light evenings and they being pointless. The north pole gets even more light then we do at this time of year..would you wish to potter about there on a evening in shirt sleeves?..

Anyway moving on! i know this is a whining thread! but i'd like to be a bit more positive,Tuesday and Wednesday is looking like they wont be to bad weatherwise...