Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

Posted

Whilst June was above average for rainfall (around 65-70mm fell) it hasn't really helped that much because of the exceptionally dry Spring in which only 15mm fell in 3 months! So I'm whining that there's little rainfall on the horizon for my location. The ground has been bone dry for the past 3 months, only occasionally softening up (such as last week, but it has hardened up very quickly). I doubt it will be until late Autumn when the drought situation ends.

Edited by Ben_Cambs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Seems like the right home for this...

Could we all have a concerted BLOW east please at 21:00hrs to persuade this wretched LP to sod off and take its festering sodden airmass with it into the North Sea. It's just getting on my tits big time.

Dunno what you lot are on about, come up to northern Scotland with yer buckets. Nay, bring yer boats, sheds, whatever, there's more than enough to go round. :drunk: <_<

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

It's bone dry around here with brown grass.Only the odd shower in weeks, and i'll be very surprised if any other location has been as unlucky as mine as rain is needed quite badly around here.Watching the radar has been frustrating in recent weeks.

Can we have your brown grass please, sounds good, if your not a gardener of course!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Seems like the right home for this...

Could we all have a concerted BLOW east please at 21:00hrs to persuade this wretched LP to sod off and take its festering sodden airmass with it into the North Sea. It's just getting on my tits big time.

Dunno what you lot are on about, come up to northern Scotland with yer buckets. Nay, bring yer boats, sheds, whatever, there's more than enough to go round. :drunk: <_<

Nobody blew, did they? Let's try again at 22:00 please. I'm gonna repeat this at hourly intervals until it Lettuces off. :p

Posted

Well that first week of July just gone was a bit of a fail in many ways (bar two days).

So now for my "Unforecast" for the second week.

My guesses valid July 8th-14th:

Thunderstorms: 0, zero, zilch, nowt.

Warmth (over 22 degrees): None

Sunny day (over 10 hours of sun): None

Dry days (no rain falling at all): None

Unforecast confidence: 100%

Chance of total verification: 100%. I'll quote back to this on July 14th and no doubt, I will have been right! dry.gif

Edited by EaasmanG

Posted

Time is starting to run out now for any meaningful heatwave, the later in the summer it gets, the less point.

And just watch bang on cue like every year day after day of sunny skies will arrive for September or at the end of August :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

OK today is absolutely horrible! Now I like hefty storms from time to time but ones that are spawned from very warm humid weather. Today is cold rain with a little thunder mixed in. Next to no sunshine and never feeling warm. I've been soaked twice today on my bike - it just isn't fun!

This summer has been ok for the most part - mostly dry, fair bit of sun and some very decent days (around weekends too). But, much like recent summers, it's getting worse & worse as it rolls on. Yesterday it started feeling chilly again and today is almost cold - especially after getting wet. Summer is such a brief and wonderful part of the year so is horrible to see it pouring away with unpleasant conditions like today.

This is of course what you expect living on the British Isles...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Time is starting to run out now for any meaningful heatwave, the later in the summer it gets, the less point.

And just watch bang on cue like every year day after day of sunny skies will arrive for September or at the end of August :lol:

yeah, bit like a cold spell arriving in Feb, much too late to be significant under 200m asl in the south,

Posted

yeah, bit like a cold spell arriving in Feb, much too late to be significant under 200m asl in the south,

I have to say I disagree with that. August can still record some exceptionally hot and settled weather. Indeed, in most places their record high maxima were set in August.

Likewise, February can be very cold indeed. The coldest month in recent times was February 1986 and certainly here, the record low minima and deepest snow Ive ever seen both occured in February.

If you were talking about the second half of September then I might agree its a little late!

Posted

I can't wait till i go to Cyprus at the end of the month for some proper hot sunny weather, and just watch the UK will have its 'summer heatwave' that week :lol: id actually bet money on it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I can't wait till i go to Cyprus at the end of the month for some proper hot sunny weather, and just watch the UK will have its 'summer heatwave' that week :lol: id actually bet money on it.

Very nice it is out there too, 40c 104f in Nicosia on Sunday, most of Cyprus is around 33c at present with no rain for ages no.

Posted

What a surprise!! the potential brief warmup at the end of the week/next weekend shown on the charts yesterday has vanished and been swapped for the usual rubbish.

Im actually prepared now for the hot spell of the summer to happen 31st July - 7th August when im in Cyprus then end as soon as i come back :lol:

Thus far this year has been the most boring ever weatherwise, in fact nothing remotely interesting has happened since before Christmas...

Posted

July seems to be heading the same way as June here. Decent start then rapid degeneration into rubbish. Apart from Friday it's been horrible here since Tuesday and this weekend has been a complete write-off.

Yesterday was grey and miserable pretty much all day with persistent rain/drizzle the whole afternoon and today almost exactly the same except the rain was heavier but less prolonged. Winds from the north or east as is the norm these days :nonono: Less than 2 hours sun and over 10mm rain makes it the worst weekend since March and that's saying something given how awful the weekends have been since the start of May.

Looks like more of the same garbage tomorrow for the local holiday Monday :wallbash: I'd rather be at work.

Posted

Surprised there's not that many comments in here regarding the latest awful outputs.

Around here, maxes predicted to be about 12-13 degrees on 16th-17th July. Summer? Don't bloody think so. I don't think I've ever known such a bull-chute crummer as this one before. Two warm days and some people think that still justifies calling it normal.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Just done my stats for July so far and the mean maximum is above average at 21c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Just done my stats for July so far and the mean maximum is above average at 21c.

Yep, some people have no perception of what a really bad summer is.

For July so far, here too rainfall is below average, the mean max' and amount of sunshine are both above average.

One set of Autumnal charts on one weekend does not a bad summer make. Anyway, when I viewed those charts my whining stopped and I started dancing.

Posted

Yep, some people have no perception of what a really bad summer is.

For July so far, here too rainfall is below average, the mean max' and amount of sunshine are both above average.

One set of Autumnal charts on one weekend does not a bad summer make. Anyway, when I viewed those charts my whining stopped and I started dancing.

Which people?

I certainly know that half the days failing to reach 17 degrees C (as in June) is bad for summer - if you like warm weather. An average high of 18 for July? You think that is warm? My average room temperature is 22 degrees and even on a "warm day" outside, it is colder outside than in. How is that like summer? Nothing wrong with my perception, I think yours must be wrong if you think these temperatures constitute a good summer!

If I can't go outside on more than half the days without wearing a coat to avoid getting cold, it's a bad summer. That's my opinion. Is it wrong? No, opinions are neither right or wrong.

You've made it clear you enjoy cold and rain - hardly one to talk about other people's perceptions really.

Edited by EaasmanG

Posted

Which people?

I certainly know that half the days failing to reach 17 degrees C (as in June) is bad for summer - if you like warm weather. Nothing wrong with my perception. If I can't go outside on more than half the days without wearing a coat to avoid getting cold, it's a bad summer. That's my opinion. Is it wrong? No, opinions are neither right or wrong.

You've made it clear you enjoy cold and rain - hardly one to talk about other people's perceptions really.

17c would probably be the average maximum up where you are.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

http://www.buxtonweather.co.uk/rainsunchartwebsite.htm

June 2011 in Buxton was a fairly dry sunny month by Buxton's standards.

Posted

17c would probably be the average maximum up where you are.

To me weather summer is good or bad has little to do with how it compares to average. If the average June high is 17c here, then the average June is "bad". Any summer month with an average high below 20c isn't really summer.

I only moved here in 2009 after living in Lincolnshire which was much hotter than here (about 3c warmer) and I'm soon to move there again, at least it was much dryer and summers weren't as bad. One hardly needed to wear a coat at all in July and August there.

http://www.buxtonwea...hartwebsite.htm

June 2011 in Buxton was a fairly dry sunny month by Buxton's standards.

76mm recorded on my weather station, which is only slightly below my average (81mm), and total rainfall is not a good indicator of how rainy it was.

I prefer to use duration of rainfall and number of days with rain. I recorded 22 days with rain in June, most of our 76mm came in the form of drizzle and weak prolonged showers on all those days. Trying to find the right time to go out was like playing cat and mouse with the showers. Most days, a continuous stratum of incontinent cloud which couldn't decide when to spit or drizzle.

Edited by EaasmanG

Posted

What a surprise another 'forecast sunnyish' day that was covered with 80%+ cloudcover from 10am...

Posted

Another dire day here as expected. 8 oktas of slate grey featureless cloud all day. I've already shut the curtains even though it's still light because I'm so sick of it. Rain through the night and early morning making it the 16th day out of the last 21 in which it has rained.

Sunshine for the past week only 13.2 hours so another appalling spell of summer weather. Parts of the East of Scotland (Aboyne, Leuchars) already clocked up more than their monthly average rain for July with plenty more foul weather to come by the looks of things :bad:

Posted

To my mind, our appreciation (or not) of the climate we enjoy (endure) here in the UK has nothing to do with "realistic expectations" and everything to do with one's personal preferences. If your ideal conditions in summer consist of 26c + and plenty of sunshine (and I'm certainly in this camp) then the bottom line is, we're destined to be disappointed most of the time. Let's be frank, for heat lovers an "average" British summer is crap and this one's no exception.