Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Well, we've had 60.2mm of rain in the last 24 hours at my hours and it's only 11°C at mid-day.

Terminal Moraine, you need to be near the cheshire border old boy.

Now that is impressive (Oops I should be whining!).

Not as impressive as 97mm at Capel Curig though (100mm plus in a day is far from unusual up there).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Well, we've had 60.2mm of rain in the last 24 hours at my hours and it's only 11°C at mid-day.

Terminal Moraine, you need to be near the cheshire border old boy.

You're quite right, I'm deeply envious. The rain didn't really set in here until late afternoon yesterday and I could see from the radar that it was much heavier in your bit of the Peak. It rained all night here but never more than moderate rain, and often light rain or thick wetting drizzle.

Edit; The Cat and Fiddle above Buxton has recorded 70.4 mm in the 24 hrs ending 0300 today.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted

The weather here is trying to use up as much time as possible with as little actual rainfall as possible. So far today has been cool and overcast with intermittent drizzle/brief light drizzly showers, so the roads and everything are damp/wet all the time, but there has only been 0.4mm so far today. So the day might as well be gloomy with heavy rain all day but without any interest from decent rainfall totals.

It's done that lots in the last two unsettled spells here, and we have missed the heavy rain/really heavy showers/thunderstorms all the time in each spell. At least yesterday we had a few brief heavy showers.

0 days of thunder this summer so far. This is another factor this summer ranks rather poor for me here.

Edit: Forgot to add, it's currently 13.8C with a brief max of 14.9C, by far the lowest I've recorded in July so far (but kind of interesting in that respect)

We actually have light-moderate rain here now with the total up to 0.8mm, blimey..

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

Im disappointed with the rainfall amounts down here since the unsettled spell started on saturday.Hardly any rain again today :wallbash:

Posted

Today has been another poor day for July, windy, cool, dull but dry. I don't mind these temperatures when it actually rains, but its very frustrating when it doesn't! Around 17mm of rainfall has fallen from this unsettled spell, ok not bad, but it looks highly unlikely that there will be much more rainfall to come. Looking at the model output, there isn't much to look forward to in regards of rainfall in the medium term either.

Still well below average for annual rainfall to date. The average up to mid-July is usually around 250mm, we're currently around 160-170mm. Also at this rate this year looks like another rather underwhelming year for thunder activity. There has only been 3 thunder days here so far, with only 2 overhead storms (though these were quite lengthy) the average number of thunder days for here in a year is 16. Realistically there's perhaps another 8-10 weeks when decent thundery activity could occur, but usually by the beginning of October, thats it for the year.

Edited by Ben_Cambs

Posted

Its like a different world here in the east, compared to the large totals further west Ive only recorded 185.8mm so far this year!

What we are getting are overcast days but with very little rain and just occasional heavy showers. In reality the rainfall so far this summer is exactly average, we've had 75.6mm so far when at this point in the summer we should have had 74mm. Cant get much closer than that!

I can certainly understand why people might complain about today though. Even though its warmer here its still some 5C below average.

Posted

You're quite right, I'm deeply envious. The rain didn't really set in here until late afternoon yesterday and I could see from the radar that it was much heavier in your bit of the Peak. It rained all night here but never more than moderate rain, and often light rain or thick wetting drizzle.

Edit; The Cat and Fiddle above Buxton has recorded 70.4 mm in the 24 hrs ending 0300 today.

Is there any live data on the internet of this station? It'd be interesting to compare 530m up to down in the valleys at 150m...

Posted

Is there any live data on the internet of this station? It'd be interesting to compare 530m up to down in the valleys at 150m...

http://www.buxtonweather.co.uk/

Well it is raining there at the moment!

post-6667-0-54143600-1311003455.jpg

http://www.maccinfo.com/cat/

post-6667-0-54143600-1311003455_thumb.jp

Posted

The only live data I know of is the 'Wendy Windblows' hang gliding site but you have to subscribe to access it. The wind speed data from the site is excellent and the temp's mostly quite good although the sensor reads too high on sunny days in summer. The rainfall data from that site is not much use as the gauge is on the pub roof and loses most of the catch in the wind.

For rainfall data go to the Met' Office site, click on mountain forecasts, then Peak District and then recent data.

The environment agency gauge is situated just off the road side on the Macclesfield side of the pub and is reasonably accurate apart from in gales.

The rainfall at the Cat and Fiddle is now 94 mm in the 24 hrs to 1400 g.m.t.

Posted

2nd day running of no sunshine but yet again in the usual mudane blandness of no exciting downpours to make up for the grimness, nothing but drizzle and a cold wind.

Max today was just 16.4c...

Posted

Had a couple of downpours today, one at lunchtime about 1:45pm and one around 3:30pm. Heavy whilst they lasted, but didn't last that long unfortunately. Been miserable and overcast all day, I can't remember such a wet and miserable July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

looking like another wet sunday coming up for W midlands, then turning drier from the west for the summer hols

Posted

More ranting, it looks like starting to warm up next week while im working and then i go on holiday next weekend and if a heatwave dares arrives here then i shall not be pleased :lol:

Posted

More ranting, it looks like starting to warm up next week while im working and then i go on holiday next weekend and if a heatwave dares arrives here then i shall not be pleased :lol:

With you there, if the heatwave could wait until 2nd week in August I would be extremely grateful.

Posted

Another horrible washout weekend here and today was just foul. A dark gloomy morning more like November with rain lashing down. Just what you want to wake up to on a Monday morning. Was the most unpleasant walk to work in a long time. Clocked up 17.8mm in total taking the monthly total 10% above average .

Another wasted summer evening with featureless grey skies and temps stuck on 14C for hours :closedeyes: . Might as well have got dark at 5pm. Thankfully I'll be in Portugal in a few days enjoying proper summer weather :yahoo:

Posted

Last July was the dullest on record here but this July is not turning out much better, yet again today 100% cloudcover, no rain no sun no warmth just a cold NW breeze and temperatures hovering around 16c.

I see next weeks charts haven't changed, 21c+ with plenty of sunshine seems guaranteed here while i won't be able to go outside till 5-6pm everyday and then when i come back the Azores high will topple west next Thursday Night only to move north east again when i go on holiday next Sunday :lol:

Posted

20 miles too far east on Sunday so I missed the heaviest rain and today I'm 20 miles too far west and I'm missing all the heavy downpours; I can see the massed ranks of Cb to the east from my window, just to rub salt into the wounds.

Time to put on the hair shirt, spread the ashes, and roll about gnashing and wailing methinks.

Posted

Bah Humbug...slate grey skies, freezing, spitting drizzle not Storms, etc.

This in in fact the worst spell of what had been a reasonable Summer, no sun, dull, damp and very cool for 2 days.

Max only 15c so far today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I suppose what constitutes a "reasonable summer" depends on each individual's viewpoint, but for my part, for this summer go be considered reasonable, I would have expected better than the fact that the longest "hot spell" so far this "summer" to be 2 days long. Utter rubbish, when compared to what April delivered.

Posted

Plenty of generally dry weather throughout June and the first half of July, and a lovely sunny rather warm start to July is what I mean for here at least.

Your correct about April it was so exceptionally warm and dry that it raised expectations for this Summer, what has been a typical British Summer if rather wet in the north.

Also, some Summers deliver no hot weather at all, one Summer in the mid 1970s did not reach 25c in Coventry, now thats what you should call rubbish.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Id like to have a complain not about the summer in general because Here at least its been decent but my complaint goes the East which has had far too many storms recently which seems day after day! Also, the Cape values etc havent been that superb recently there yet some great storms have kicked off there yet if you place those values here nothing as good seems to form!

Thankfully this Low shall move away soon and get rid of the East's storms because arent some places on about 10 storms now?!?. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Id like to have a complain not about the summer in general because Here at least its been decent but my complaint goes the East which has had far too many storms recently which seems day after day! Also, the Cape values etc havent been that superb recently there yet some great storms have kicked off there yet if you place those values here nothing as good seems to form!

Thankfully this Low shall move away soon and get rid of the East's storms because arent some places on about 10 storms now?!?. :lol:

Oi...you've had 6 of yer own....so kindly shush and leave the griping to those of us who have had nada :p:D

Posted

I thought early July was okay rather than properly nice (two or three days of dross marred it somewhat), but still in a good position to make the month better than the previous four.

However, if the awful weather of the past couple of days sets the scene for the rest of the month, then it will be more than enough for me to label this July as "poor" - the fifth such July in a row. In such a scenario, July 2008 would likely come out better than this month as the warm spell near the end of that month was better than the warm weather earlier this month.

The recent heavy rains have caused July to leap above average here. Of the previous four Julys, 2008 finished with about 150% of the average monthly rainfall and the other three all exceeded 200%. There's still plenty of time for this July to continue the wretched run.