Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

West Cumbria-Warmest place in winter.....coolest place in summer!!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Perhaps this coming unsettled spell will turn out not so bad, as with all the previous ones this Summer. However certain areas sure need appreciable rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Saturday is going to be rather wet it does look like the heaviest rain will be in the south east, western areas will be come drier during the day, with showers taking over, temps of around 19c in the North east 21c or so in the South.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Perhaps in reality some people expectations are over inflated, well those who are complaining, living and central and northwest England.

Here it's been the best summer so far since 2006, the last three years before this have been generally awful, with the exception of the odd warm spell here and there.

This summer has been dry and sunny on the whole with very little rain, and this is despite many models outputs and long range forecast suggesting otherwise.

and if you want proof that it's been a dry summer then take a look at the photo below (taken yesterday)

As such I don't buy into the unsettled forecasts currently shown by forecasts/models.

post-3-0-02015200-1310748181_thumb.jpg

Posted

The quality of this Summer so far widely varies from region to region a lot more than recent Summers, coastal parts (and up several miles inland) of Wales and NW England for example in particular have had a fairly sunny and dry summer because most of the time the cloud and the showers have formed just over land though of course thats about to change with all of us set to suffer this weekend.

Yet again another case today of slate grey skies most of the day here while nearly everywhere east of here seems to of been 23-25c with plenty of sunshine.

This whole week in general i was expecting to of been very decent from the charts progged last weekend but only yesterday was decent in the end.

Posted

I'd say this summer has easily been the best since 2006, however that is largely dependant on sunshine - which has been plentiful this year - and not temperatures, since it never really feels chilly in summer save for a few 6C mornings.

Wow some crazy members on here, 23C. 24C, 25C has been reached on almost everyday in the past week as the average July max is 22C that it not cold at all then you get people saying we'll have summer in December when average temps are ALOT cooler than now, where do these people spring up from.

Posted

Maybe it hasn't reached 23/24/25C everywhere every day this past week Eugene? Perhaps other people's back yards haven't been the same as yours with something known as 'regional variation'

July so far has been below average here, as was June slightly. The highest temp here in the last 42 days and counting was just 23C, though there have been some very nice summery days here with average temps.

I don't think anyone was being serious by saying we will have summer in December, but you seem to feel the need to moan about every other post and 'status' update..

Posted

Wow some crazy members on here, 23C. 24C, 25C has been reached on almost everyday in the past week as the average July max is 22C that it not cold at all then you get people saying we'll have summer in December when average temps are ALOT cooler than now, where do these people spring up from.

Yes because a 16c max on Tuesday and 18c Wednesday is so 23-25c.

Not ONE day was 23c or higher here but of course if its been warm/sunny for you the whole of the UK must of been the same.

Posted

22c to 24c was widespread over the Midlands on several days last week dont know how you could have been so much cooler.

Posted

Yes because a 16c max on Tuesday and 18c Wednesday is so 23-25c.

Not ONE day was 23c or higher here but of course if its been warm/sunny for you the whole of the UK must of been the same.

I realise that meteorologically Shawbury may as well be in Brazil compared with Telford, but there no day last week failed to reach 19c, and Thursday and Friday managed 22c.whistling.gif

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

the usual washout sunday coming up, start at 9am, and stop at 6pm ish, looks dry tonight, washout tomorrow, dry tomorrow night, wet monday and dry monday night, then wet tuesday

I just dunno why Sunday is always wet, (except for every year the eve of wimbledon and the middle sunday)

Posted

I realise that meteorologically Shawbury may as well be in Brazil compared with Telford, but there no day last week failed to reach 19c, and Thursday and Friday managed 22c.whistling.gif

Still not the 23c+ Eugene was on about though and it managed 20.8c here yesterday with overcast skies by 12:30pm.

Ironically today in the middle of this storm had a rather decent afternoon with plenty of sunshine dodging all the showers.

However the outlook for the rest of the month could not be worse and this July will join the last few.

Posted

Well, half the summer gone, and it was the coolest 1st half of summer in years, no thunderstorms, plenty of drizzly rain, a load of crap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I dont think its been a cold summer at all, a warm one infact, best period normally approx 15 May - 15 July, Again for a 3rd summer in a row the hottest day has been during wimbledon, 31°C on the 2nd monday, the 27th June

but as summer is technically late July to late Aug as well, then it could go down as a cool summer

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted

Don't forget, I live in the Peak District, so it was cold here. I don't care if it wasn't technically below average, it was still cold.

Posted

Zero garden days for me is dead certain then now before i go to Cyprus at the end of the month, was hoping to get a mini tan to go with but nooo absolute rubbish everyday for the next 7 days and then im working the week of 25th so just watch the heatwaves start building around then :lol:

Posted

Don't forget, I live in the Peak District, so it was cold here. I don't care if it wasn't technically below average, it was still cold.

If this summer is classed as 'cold' then I dread to think how hot summers are in the south... I can appreciate how everyone's different, but I just fail to see how 16-18C maxes are disappointing - it may be below average but how could anyone possibly feel chilly in those temperatures? It's only rainfall and sunshine that matters, at least to me.

Posted

First time for me having a garden big enough to grow stuff in. The dry spring was a killer really, and most of that was non-descript, neither hot nor cold. Just dry. My early potatoes were a shambles, and my farmer friend pointed out that potatoes are a water hungry crop, hence my mistake with not getting the hosepipe on them in April. Late croppers should be fantastic though. In fact the only things that have done well are onions and peas, first lot of carrots weren't great and salad crops a waste of time - but started again with them and signs of promise. But its a learning curve. The good life is spoilt by two whippits laying turds in my raised beds.

However you dress it up, late winter was mild and dry. Early spring was mild and dry. At the end of May we'd only had 80mm of rainfall(!!!) and east Northants was in drought. We've now had 210mm, with 20mm falling today. So by all accounts, this summer is rubbish. However had we had a 1976 on the back of the riduculously dry spring the consequences I don't know. But spring growing season was knackered. Autumn and winter crops should do alright though!

Don't know when I became interested in horticulture. I suppose when my wife points to my failed attempts I can blame it on the weather because I did follow guidelines and got busy in late February with planting and what not, but this year most of it was a waste of time. I hope its a blip, because its massive fail on the first try.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

If this summer is classed as 'cold' then I dread to think how hot summers are in the south... I can appreciate how everyone's different, but I just fail to see how 16-18C maxes are disappointing - it may be below average but how could anyone possibly feel chilly in those temperatures? It's only rainfall and sunshine that matters, at least to me.

You could easily feel chilly in those temperatures if you were just sitting and not doing any activity. Try sitting outside a pub for a few hours once the shadows prevent you getting any direct sunlight and you'll soon slip a jacket on or go inside - especially if there's any breeze. Now 21c (room temperature) would easily be comfortable no matter what you're doing.

In the Peak District of course you'd expect 16-18c as a standard in summer except in those sheltered sunny valleys.

You are right though - rainfall & sunshine are the most important factors. Take yesterday- the sun came out and it felt lovely despite only reaching 19.7c here. Today however is currently only 17.2c under cloudy skies and already my house has dipped below 20c - not really summerlike!

Posted

An average max of 27°C is warm, not 17°C. Just because the latter is average here doesn't mean I find it warm. In SE England the avg max for July is nearly 24°C around London, so it's not surprising I find the average summer here cold.

I find 18°C the bare minimum for summer warmth, provided that there is no wind, it's humid and 100% sunshine. Any less in all departments and it feels more like winter, to me.

Edited by EaasmanG

Posted

Yeah we know what you think, and that you find the temperatures in your location too cold (even when average or above) no need to constantly remind us, thanks.:whistling:

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

In any case I should consider emigration if you want mean maxima of 27c, you will continue to feel persistantly disillusioned living not only in the Peaks, but in the UK full stop!

Edited by Tonyh