Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Been a very humid cloudy spell of weather until today for what seems most of the summer, last night was the first cool night in ages its been horrid getting to sleep with nights of around 15C

Another hot plume for the weekend with cloudy skies and no thunderstorms sad.png

If you find 15c too warm to sleep in don't ever head anywhere south or east of the UK during the summer months - or ever visit the tropics!

Really it's been no where near too warm to sleep as the general lack of sunshine has kept building temperatures lower than they would be. Not that my house ever struggles to keep cool - quite the opposite much to the tirade of moaning from my good lady!

Agree with the dryness - it really is parched in places out there. Keep it like this till late Sept then the weather can do anything it likes as far as I'm concerned.

Posted

I'm seriously starting to believe that there is a specific region of the midlands that has become a 'dead zone' in regards to precipitation.

Almost all of the snow and rain over the past 3 years, has missed this prt of the midlands, getting to within around 10 miles of here and then parting like the red sea.

The rain atm is doing the same thing?

deadzone.gif

you run this radar loop and check it out for yourself...

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

I'm seriously thinking of starting a thread to investigate this phoenomenom.

Posted

Also to the west of Birmingham, across Shropshire and Herefordshire too. I think it's simply the rain shadow from the Welsh mountains? I don't think it's particularly a 'phenomena', remarkable as the different annual rain totals between North Wales and the Midlands are.

Posted

Oh my gosh as if its actually happened again! the weekend was showing potential to be GORGEOUS for V Festival yesterday and i knew that was impossible, wake up today and i see all charts showing a washout on Saturday and temperatures never higher than 19c all weekend, what a surprise if it doesnt change back now.

AND on top of that since coming back off holiday 9 days ago ive not had one day, not one hour in the garden and now tommorow which was looking a lovely sunny day along with thursday have been swapped for trash.

Worst Summer for sunshine ever.

Edited by conor123

Posted

The misery continues here. Yet another utterly foul summer evening. Wet, murky, and miserable with an easterly wind.

11th consecutive day of rain in this putrid August and the 74th successive day below 21C in this stinking summer, smashing the previous record by 5 days and no end in sight. It really says something when even in the 1960s summers the lack of warmth was never this marked.

These are the statistics for here for mid-July to mid-August which should be the peak of warmth for the summer.

Mean max: 2.5C below average

Rainfall: 220% of average

Sunshine: 55% of average

A truly sickening set of statistics. Thankfully I was abroad for two weeks. It was bad enough having to endure just over half of it. Pretty much as dire as it is possible to get. The sunshine and rainfall would be worse than average even for October bad.gif

Getting any sort of poor summer after the shocking rubbish of recent years would beggar belief never mind one as diabolical as this. It's a pity Philip Eden hasn't updated the regional figures on his website. I would imagine rainfall for Eastern Scotland to be running somewhere around 400% of average for the first half of August.nonono.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Be good if we could loose the cool evenings and have a some proper warmth like we did the other week. Wanna get some air through the house in the evenings again before its too late!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Oh my gosh as if its actually happened again! the weekend was showing potential to be GORGEOUS for V Festival yesterday and i knew that was impossible, wake up today and i see all charts showing a washout on Saturday and temperatures never higher than 19c all weekend, what a surprise if it doesnt change back now.

AND on top of that since coming back off holiday 9 days ago ive not had one day, not one hour in the garden and now tommorow which was looking a lovely sunny day along with thursday have been swapped for trash.

Worst Summer for sunshine ever.

Seems like you missed the sunshine we had again today. It was cloudy for a few hours around afternoon but Mid morning and mid to late afternoon onwards have been great!

Just 8mm of rain in the past month here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I cant believe thursday, going to be a washout torrential rain all day, but as soon as evening comes it dries up, north midlands is a horrid place, folks in south midlands wanna come here for rain, certainly after tomorrow

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I cant believe thursday, going to be a washout torrential rain all day, but as soon as evening comes it dries up, north midlands is a horrid place, folks in south midlands wanna come here for rain, certainly after tomorrow

Not anymore, the West Midlands will miss much of the rain. East Midlands and SE having much of it again. You cannot deny its been very very dry lately around here. The Grass isnt growing at all now!

Posted

Not anymore, the West Midlands will miss much of the rain. East Midlands and SE having much of it again. You cannot deny its been very very dry lately around here. The Grass isnt growing at all now!

Notice how the rainfall is mirroring the winter precipitation courses for this part of the world.

It really does feel like we are in a whole new weather era now doesn't it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I wondered in here and thought "why is everybody moaning"...I came in expecting to be offered a nice glass of Chardonnay and to discuss corkage......then I realised, its the wrong kind of 'whine'....doh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well the rather dismal August continues. It's even more frustrating when you think that if day and night were reversed, his month probably could have been a really decent month. Countless nights have brought clear spells only to be replaced by cloud and rain throughout the day only to clear again by the evening.

Posted

Summer 2011 has been to summer what Winter 1991/92 was to winter.

Dry, boring, dull, never too much on the "wrong" side for temperature (it hasn't been really cold, as winter 1991/92 wasn't especially mild) but it has been totally devoid of the things you expect in summer, ie heatwaves, warm sunny days, and thunderstorms. In the same way that winter 1991/92 was absolutely devoid of both snow and the gales and flooding that brought something of note to the many of the mild winters.

Winter 1991/92 had its frosty nights, just like summer 2011 has had its pre-8am and post-8pm blazing sunshine. 1991/92 had some freezing fog without either snow or record low temperatures- summer 2011 has often had trying humidity without either sunshine, record high temperatures, or thunder.

I have posted this in 2 different threads BTW- mods feel free to delete which one it's less appropriate for!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Usually I consider a heatwave as anything where temperatures surpass 28C for at least 2 days, ideally 3; a warmwave when its between 24-27C so a coldwave I would say when the daytime maximum does not surpass 18C for at least 2 days.

That's here though, I appreciate that it's the norm in places much further north.

Posted

Cold & grey - and still no rain!

Feels like early October with temps around 16c. Grim grim grim.

Posted

Forecasting seems to have got worse the GFS 6z has rain all over central england at 8pm tonight but it is already clearing up now

and what a shock this mini heatwave for the weekend has downgraded.

oh look what do we have here http://nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20110818/06/276/ukmaxtemp.png

Posted

I'm glad the potential heatwave has been downgraded, as it would have inevitably led to cloud and rain here. It says a lot when you're a heat-lover and you start dreading potential heatwaves.

Posted

Cold feet getting into bed, shivering when using the toilet in the night, any exposed skin becoming icy cold when in bed, windows soaked in condensation, no fresh air, struggling to get up in the morning having to the leave the warmth of the bed and shortly having to wear a jacket to ride to work.... All the crap that makes the colder season that bit more of a pain in the backside. And when that cack invades mid August it truly deserves a proper whine!

This mornings living room temperature: 18.1c, min desired temperature 20c. 11.7c outside right now. Cycling coat threshold 13c.

Hopefully the sun will warm everything up before tonight - another cold cloudy day followed by a clear cold night would result in the heating going on. No right in August - get enough of all this for months on end without it spreading further!

Posted

Cold feet getting into bed, shivering when using the toilet in the night, any exposed skin becoming icy cold when in bed, windows soaked in condensation, no fresh air, struggling to get up in the morning having to the leave the warmth of the bed and shortly having to wear a jacket to ride to work.... All the crap that makes the colder season that bit more of a pain in the backside. And when that cack invades mid August it truly deserves a proper whine!

This mornings living room temperature: 18.1c, min desired temperature 20c. 11.7c outside right now. Cycling coat threshold 13c.

Hopefully the sun will warm everything up before tonight - another cold cloudy day followed by a clear cold night would result in the heating going on. No right in August - get enough of all this for months on end without it spreading further!

While the Peak District was suffering from a build up of cloud from 9am onwards, following of course blue skies, it was very warm in Nottingham centre today, with rather a lot of sunshine. Only to return to slate grey skies and some drizzle here. I assume this is often the case?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

4 Augusts on the bounce,i really am getting deeply depressed now diablo.gifhelp.gif

I always think August by many is an over rated month, especially away from the SE, probably because the whole month is holiday (summer) holidays, June and July the real summer, by august generally starts becoming autumn

Posted

While the Peak District was suffering from a build up of cloud from 9am onwards, following of course blue skies, it was very warm in Nottingham centre today, with rather a lot of sunshine. Only to return to slate grey skies and some drizzle here. I assume this is often the case?

Today was a rare one here. It was sunny during the afternoon making our office very warm indeed. I can remember very few afternoons like this during this summer as it has very frequently been cloudy especially in the afternoons (when we catch the sun). Did turn out into a nice day despite my earlier whine - temperatures shot up and this evening feels pleasant again at 19c still. Much better than yesterdays 14c at this time.