Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

UK convective general discussion and forecasts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Alex Deacon mentioned "big vicious thunderstorms" in the NE on BBC Breakfast this morning ph34r.gif

If they're anything like that line of intense storms in Norfolk yesterday afternoon they'll be incredible.......whistling.gif

Wow some people have head a great year so far for storms :)

I dont think ill ever see one again lol

Must of been about 3years now since anything of note.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Alex Deacon mentioned "big vicious thunderstorms" in the NE on BBC Breakfast this morning ph34r.gif

If they're anything like that line of intense storms in Norfolk yesterday afternoon they'll be incredible.......whistling.gif

Really? Can't see that happening here today like but then again I am no expert. All we have currently is heavy rain / showers with a very dark horrible winter sky :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Big vicious thunderstorms? I don't see it, its cool and rainy at the moment.

Posted

Alex Deacon mentioned "big vicious thunderstorms" in the NE on BBC Breakfast this morning

Was that on Sky+ from yesterday? :lol:

Had a quick look see and nothing much showing for the UK today, I'll open a thread anyway for peoples thoughts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Was that on Sky+ from yesterday? :lol:

Had a quick look see and nothing much showing for the UK today, I'll open a thread anyway for peoples thoughts.

http://forum.netweat...on-and-reports/

Har har! Nope because I ain't got Sky rolleyes.gif

PS the intense line of thunderstorms never materialised ;-)

Posted

What we need is a good old Convergence day down in the SE :whistling: Might get shot for that Statement from our friends in the North West and West Midlands!

But.................Never before seen picture I just found on my Old Laptop from the 15th June 2009!

This CZ Line actually produced a Tornado on the Essex and Suffolk Border later this day.

Shot is looking North East from the South Bank with Blackfriars Bridge in the Foreground

:drinks:

post-24-0-68099500-1311195498_thumb.jpg

Harry will appreciate this - In the days we USED To get T-Storms in the Uk

I have photos of a rapidly rotating cell that occured on that very day in suffolk. Never seen anything like it.

Posted

What we need is a good old Convergence day down in the SE :whistling: Might get shot for that Statement from our friends in the North West and West Midlands!

But.................Never before seen picture I just found on my Old Laptop from the 15th June 2009!

This CZ Line actually produced a Tornado on the Essex and Suffolk Border later this day.

Shot is looking North East from the South Bank with Blackfriars Bridge in the Foreground

Just seen you guys on natures fury :) its on itv!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Just seen you guys on natures fury :) its on itv!

arrghhh wish I'd known this was on, catching the last 10 mins grrrrrrrrrr!

Edit: Oooooh finally there is ITV1+1! Guess I will be up for a while yet then :rolleyes:

Edited by Purplepixii

Posted

arrghhh wish I'd known this was on, catching the last 10 mins grrrrrrrrrr!

Edit: Oooooh finally there is ITV1+1! Guess I will be up for a while yet then :rolleyes:

just started on ITV1+1. Gonna stay up and watch this!

Posted

WOW Natures fury was awesome now i really have to go storm chasing in the US,i would do anything to witness storms like that,makes are storms laughable,BUT also seeing what damage these storms bring and the devastation it does to people's lives i really felt sorry for these people,to us the thought of seeing a supercell in this country would be like HELL YEAH bring it on but now after seeing that i dont think i want to as i wouldn't like to have to go through what they did,Im happy with the normal storms this country gets,well if i ever get to see one,Speaking of storms is there any potential for the west tomorrow? After seeing 2 forecasts on tv earliar it seems unlikely and after a quick sweep of the net it looks unlikely but you never know.

Posted

just started on ITV1+1. Gonna stay up and watch this!

Surely a gas station isn't the best place to be during a tornado...?

:whistling:

Posted

Surely a gas station isn't the best place to be during a tornado...?

:whistling:

It is when............

South Road is blocked by Power Lines

West Road drives you straight into a SE Moving Tornado

North Road drives you straight into 135mph RFD Winds

East Road was blocked by overturned Juggernauts!

It was not out of choice :D

Posted

Caught the episode myself I've seen another series with Roger and Stu themselves being caught in Mesocyclonic winds before in the States. Just goes to show as the guys were saying that "nothing good ever happens around Supercells." And that's coming from professional chasers who were 15 mins out of sync with what was happening with this particular storm, I think the presenter was well-standed in saying were pretty lucky here in the UK that were not faced with that kind of threat for 4 months of the year consistently. Then Hurricane Season ontop of that.

Posted

It is when............

South Road is blocked by Power Lines

West Road drives you straight into a SE Moving Tornado

North Road drives you straight into 135mph RFD Winds

East Road was blocked by overturned Juggernauts!

It was not out of choice :D

But a bloody good decision in the end! My comment came after the 1st garage/tornado scene but having just finished watching the programme & seeing you & the guys safe by a garage I take it back!

Am very envious - destructive though they may be tornado-chasing looks like one hell of an experience - hats off to you guys! :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

WOW Natures fury was awesome now i really have to go storm chasing in the US,i would do anything to witness storms like that,makes are storms laughable....

if i minus a tornado then the july 2006 storm was violent here in my part of surrey, on par with French storms, their were levels ones out for us, the storm was continuous fork hitting the ground for two hours ,houses on fire around this areas and severe flash floods with cars floating around not to far from here, now thats not laughable. but i see your point! those storms over there incredible but i do think ours can get to that severity level minus large tornados, but with the rains, hail and even f1 tornados over here, i think our storms can't be compared because we are not tornado alley!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

But a bloody good decision in the end! My comment came after the 1st garage/tornado scene but having just finished watching the programme & seeing you & the guys safe by a garage I take it back!

Am very envious - destructive though they may be tornado-chasing looks like one hell of an experience - hats off to you guys! :clap:

Our car was parked by a row of parked vehicles which forunately protected us somewhat from flying debris ... the other car which Chris was in was more exposed and wasn't so lucky and had one of the back windows smashed. We were very fortunate that the tornado wasn't on top of us (we think, because the winds we blowing one direction the whole time, rather than changing as they would in tornado circulation) - was exhilarating nonetheless to experience such strong straightline winds! Lucky escape.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I believe it was me who took that very photo (not sure if that's why I would appreciate it, lol :D) - sadly I was in London (as per the pic) all day and the most I got was watching it build and build and build and build, to mammoth proportions :D

These were the pics I took on that great t'storm day (15th June 2009)

post-3790-0-36024700-1311240503_thumb.jp

post-3790-0-29774000-1311240514_thumb.jp

post-3790-0-26542200-1311240526_thumb.jp

post-3790-0-66305900-1311240536_thumb.jp

Edited by Harry

Posted

Err

Harry we must have been in virtually the same spot that day as that picture is one of 10 I took outside my shop at the Oxo Tower :whistling::rofl:

I have the others if you want me to put them up. My shot was just on the Corner of Sea Containers House at about 130pm that day, have others on the Millenium Bridge at about 3pm.

Btw if you look in the top left of the Picture mine has an Aeroplane in it whereas your nearly identical shot has not.

Good Positioning though :hi:

post-24-0-37008100-1311244839_thumb.jpg - Back end of the Updraught looking East towards Essex later at 345pm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I remember the 15th June 2009 very well- it was one of those days when most of the country including NE England had sun, showers and thunderstorms but the Tyne and Wear coast "escaped" with low cloud from the North Sea. But for once, I wasn't on the Tyne and Wear coast, I was in Exeter where they picked up quite a big thunderstorm (especially by Exeter's usual standards) with hail and some localised flooding due to a convergence line that formed over south Devon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Err

Harry we must have been in virtually the same spot that day as that picture is one of 10 I took outside my shop at the Oxo Tower :whistling::rofl:

I have the others if you want me to put them up. My shot was just on the Corner of Sea Containers House at about 130pm that day, have others on the Millenium Bridge at about 3pm.

Btw if you look in the top left of the Picture mine has an Aeroplane in it whereas your nearly identical shot has not.

Good Positioning though :hi:

post-24-0-37008100-1311244839_thumb.jpg - Back end of the Updraught looking East towards Essex later at 345pm

Blimey! Yes we must have been - I was coming back from a site in the car when I took mine...not sure the bridge I went over, but it was certainly near Oxo towers (may have been Vauxhall bridge)...the rate the storms developed was impressive by UK standards, and I remember it was a pretty warm and sticky day (27 to 29C I think)...can't say I hold the same optimism for today though lol

Edited by Harry

Posted

Today looks to turn out to be an interesting weather day. Here's the London Heathrow skew-t for 15z

post-5986-0-57782100-1311248628_thumb.gi

First thing of note is that the LI is positive. Lifted Index is the difference in temperature between the LCL and the temperature at 500hPa if a parcel is raised adiabatically. It refers specifically to the stability of the atmosphere at that point - in this case 500hPa, or about 5.5km up.

Now, around about 550hPa we have a dewpoint depression. So just as we run out of convective steam we get a dry punch aiding convection since the atmosphere beneath that point is bouyant.

Also the wind direction changes with height (particularly between 850hPa and 900hPa) so with a bit of surface heating we might well see some scattered thunderstorms utilising that CAPE - certainly heavy showers - but if they turn into storms, they might well be quite picturesque ...

Edited by Sparticle

Posted

Very low chance of anything today, but lets put a thread together for people to discuss it:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Next Tuesday the Lifted index showing some potential, far off and not looked into it yet, just spotted it so il keep track of the potential!

11072606_2_2212.gif

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Not seen one below the line for the complete week for ages!!!!!! Quiet as a mouse in Scotland and the North:

MU_Aberdeen_avn.png

MU_Manchester_avn.png

Agreed on Tuesday for further South, again in an otherwise mega quiet week connection-wise:

MU_London_avn.png

Not going to be a lot of new convection threads this week by the looks of things, all bar Tuesday for the South - lets hope that there's sunshine to keep people happy!!!

Sorry storm fans!!!!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Some pics of a torrential shower near Lampeter on Thursday evening that gave 20mm plus in the area, although only 6mm here:

post-2595-0-56312600-1311420491_thumb.jp post-2595-0-89969700-1311420395_thumb.jp post-2595-0-13215800-1311420417_thumb.jp post-2595-0-47080300-1311420434_thumb.jp

Edited by Tonyh