Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

El Gordo! - Spanish Plume Thunderstorm Discussion 6

Coast

Posted

Are you sure its low level cloud? the only SW vectors coming up for Southend on sea is the 1000hpa flow (18000ft) which would be the cirrus layer being thrown out ahead of the CF. Everything else underneath is still moving NE however.

Hi snow,

It was low level cloud moving SE, getting a heave on too, you could see the higher level stuff moving NE.

cheers,

Steve.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

My God terrific storm and look at the radar to see what is coming!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder & Lightning, Snow, Wind

1st of 2 videos shot at 720p. Shortly after starts shotgun lightning, tho doesn't sound same on camera.

Edited by MPfreeUK

Posted

There is rapid updraft growth in the clear area behind the Chatham storm, towers really shooting up to my South. 'Ground strokes' of the non-tennis variety occuring to my East. :)

EDIT: Storm to my East is now rumbling continously without any breaks!

Edited by Noctilucid

Posted

Got to go out and pick up Miss Shoreline from Brighton now, might be a chance to chase on the way home!!! :whistling:

Posted

Are you sure its low level cloud? the only SW vectors coming up for Southend on sea is the 1000hpa flow (18000ft) which would be the cirrus layer being thrown out ahead of the CF. Everything else underneath is still moving NE however.

Yep. These clouds cannot be more than about 500-1000ft above and moving in an E/SE direction.

Posted

Thunder more frequent now, heavy rain but no lightning as of yet from this cell.

Posted

The clouds in different directions.

It is my understanding that what you are seeing is what Torro referenced in this paragraph..

Local convergence zones may develop along the east coast and close to the Thames Estuary. Such a development would increase low-level shear locally, and bring a low risk of a tornado. As this threat appears to be conditional on the development of sea breezes, the a SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH is deemed more appropriate.

The NE main direction, and East/south east onshore breeze plus the storms pulling in the lower air flow creates localised convergence lines, wind sheer and helicity. Hence the reason why Torro gave the warning for isolated tornadoes.

Edited by SnowBear

Posted

jeez! havent seen lightning like this for awhile!! amazing! and its s till not over i dont think! havent looked at the radar for a while! oh hold on sun is coming out!

Posted

Must have been that small surface low I was looking at earlier on. Same thing happened to me yesterday near Peterborough where the clouds were going all over the place and I was certain it was this and the other. In the end it wasn't until I got home and looked back at the NW Radar & subsequent vis satellite loop it was evident what actually was going on overhead.

Posted

Third storm of the day now underway, some very impressive lightning on Reigate Hill (Surrey) during the second. Still extremely humid.

Posted

Where are all the moaners from yesterday now then........? :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Woohoo! that's more like it. 2 VERY close strikes and lots of other strikes with incredibly loud thunder, lot's of thunder and torrential rain.

haven't seen stuff like this in years.

I haven't got a you tube account and don't really want to start one, but I'm happy to share the video i just captured with you all if anyone would be so kind as to put it up on their account and I'll send you the video.

Posted

The clouds in different directions.

It is my understanding that what you are seeing is what Torro referenced in this paragraph..

The NE main direction, and East/south east onshore breeze plus the storms pulling in the lower air flow creates localised convergence lines, wind sheer and helicity. Hence the reason why Torro gave the warning for isolated tornadoes.

My eyes are glued to the low level cloud now.

Searching for any signs of rotation!... :whistling:

Posted

The sun is out again now, temp pushing 21C and feeling very pleasant. Very amazing clouds though, lower levels travelling SE, upper levels NE. Starting to see the mahoosive CB's responsible in the slowly clearing skies!

Still rumbles of thunder too.

Posted

wow! these storms passed over quick but they were pretty impressive!! we are having alot of rain here! for a moment i thought the sun was coming out but its clouded over again and rain rate increased again! im thinking i might get one more round??

Posted

Where are all the moaners from yesterday now then........? :whistling:

It missed me! It missed me by 6 miles! no lightning! I am not happy ... not happy at all ...

that better ... ;-)

Posted

Gone quiet here now, not heard a rumble for around 15 minutes, skies are brightening up as well. Hope there is some more on the way (not that I am greedy :whistling: )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Living in Hull must be incredibly annoying today! The storms have skirted past for hours now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

More thunder, and heavy rain - me mate's turned up to fix the annex boiler, I had to drag him out of his van :D