Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3rd Aug 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast Discusion And Reports

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Some lovely looking convection N and NE of London!! Lovely pileus on one of the big towers!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Thing have really got going here in the last 30 mins, huge shower clouds going up in every direction and distant but loud thunder, the sky to my south west is jet black looks like it could be a direct hit unless the sea breeze (which has weakend) destroyes it as it comes to the coast

Posted

Indeed it is Harry! Fully fledged storm now over Chelmsford according to my eyes and radar, its starting to push out an impressively thick anvil. There's further explosive development to its South which no doubt will become a storm within the next 10 minutes, looks like the convergence zone driving these storms may extend into Southern Essex and maybe down to the Thames. I'd be up the A12 in a shot for want of a car. :(

Edited by Noctilucid

Posted

Winds from the sea has back builded the line of storms into doncaster. A cell just exploded here with 1.7mm in 4mins. Loud thunder too. Rotation is visable here too :o

Posted

Hard to tell if something is developing around Manchester or these parts. Air went oppressively humid for about a hour & half just earlier with the clouds building substantially again now. Deepening bases as they do so.

Posted

There will be nothing south of Chelmsford now.

Spot On

Clear Blue skies to the South of Chelmsford - Not a cloud to be seen apart from something in the haze way way off to the North West which is the Chelmsford Cell!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Im moving to Southampton about 2 mins from the sea on September the 19th hopefully the weather is better down there :whistling:

I hate to wee on your fireworks but the Southampton area used to be great for storms - but no more :cray: Any of the techies on here know why the predominant storm areas have changed? Does it have anything to do with Global Warming...?

Oh and hello Adamjas in the north of the county, welcome to the forums and lets hope we can prove to your nipper that dad is telling the truth! :D

Edited by Purplepixii

Posted

Constant thunder from the storm just hitting Worksop, only about 3miles from it. Just been to far west so far today, still, theres time yet.

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted

Spot On

Clear Blue skies to the South of Chelmsford - Not a cloud to be seen apart from something in the haze way way off to the North West which is the Chelmsford Cell!

I think you need to take another look. Massive CB growing with pileus (although not in these pics taken 3 minutes ago) The skies are completely clear to my south, these shots are to my N/NE/

post-12190-0-78724600-1312393558_thumb.j

post-12190-0-75795300-1312393586_thumb.j

Posted

Slightly cloudier here, shower gone off around 30 miles SE of here, but sky looks totally settled here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

well that was enjoyable :D An hour's worth of heavy rain with reasonable thunder and lightning every 5 minutes or so, narrowly beating the 15 minutes worth on June 28th drinks.gif

Anyone east of here should be getting some significant rainfall shortly :D

Posted

Does like nice that NE London convection! Bugger all behind it though!

Sweaty calm night ahead before swathe of mess moves in tomorrow.

Fingers crossed the front might kick off any remaining instability. GFS keen for heaviest stuff to pass south and east ATM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Hello, I'm new here and I think it's time for me to join the No Storms Club. So far here in Farnborough I've heard one distant rumble of thunder this year - and that's it. Much as I love the hot sunny weather I would LOVE a proper thunderstorm - and need to convince my 4 year old that they do exist outside of The sound of Music!

Hi Adamjas , welcome to Netweather :)

Good luck with any storms, I'm in the same boat as you. If you do pop along to the NSC (which I hope not) You'll find Phil on the door handing out memberships. Hope we don't get to see you there :)

Posted

Constant thunder from the storm just hitting Worksop, only about 3miles from it. Just been to far west so far today, still, theres time yet.

ive missed out on the big ones by 20miles. Had a cell here though!. Development has moved west as that wind from sea is forcing on the back edge!

Posted

Huge anvil in front of Chelmsford cell by the looks of it. Hard to make out but looks as if tower might be trying to build west ( I think ) of the towering CBs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I hate to wee on your fireworks but the Southampton area used to be great for storms - but no more :cray: Any of the techies on here know why the predominant storm areas have changed? Does it have anything to do with Global Warming...?

Oh and hello Adamjas in the north of the county, welcome to the forums and lets hope we can prove to your nipper that dad is telling the truth! :D

Same thing for our area. People say the storms haven't been less, but I swear they have. We used to get at least a couple of overnight MCS every year and several more big storm days, but we haven't had that for years and years. My family used to document the storms and there has been a clear decline.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & sunny in summer, cold & snowy in winter, love a good thunderstorm

Hi Adamjas , welcome to Netweather :)

Good luck with any storms, I'm in the same boat as you. If you do pop along to the NSC (which I hope not) You'll find Phil on the door handing out memberships. Hope we don't get to see you there :)

Thanks to you and Purplepixii for the welcome! Instead of moping about storms I think I'd better make the most of a warm sunny evening and then pop into the NSC later on for a commiseratory G&T. Hampshire's turn will come.... possibly smile.gif

Posted

Same thing for our area. People say the storms haven't been less, but I swear they have. We used to get at least a couple of overnight MCS every year and several more big storm days, but we haven't had that for years and years. My family used to document the storms and there has been a clear decline.

There clearly has Lauren, I totally agree. The "storm drought" deniers will tell you otherwise, but it's clear!'

Posted

I live a few miles away and didn't get the hail but knew whoever was getting it must be getting a battering as the thunder was near constant for about 10 mins

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9175821.Storm_described_as_the__worst_in_memory__brings_chaos_to_Dunnington/

Posted

Oh and there's defo towers trying to build behind the Essex cells! Let's see how far it manages to get :)

Posted

I think you need to take another look. Massive CB growing with pileus (although not in these pics taken 3 minutes ago) The skies are completely clear to my south, these shots are to my N/NE/

post-12190-0-78724600-1312393558_thumb.j

post-12190-0-75795300-1312393586_thumb.j

Lol as a rule of thumb you can see the Cb's between 15-30 miles away and NE Of you is........Chelmsford, so you are looking at the Chelmsford cell to your NE Which is my NW :lol:

Posted

Hello all,

Just had some incredibly heavy rain and thunder pass through here around 10 mins ago. Lasted around half an hour with almost contant rumbles of thunder, still quite humid out though. Location- Worksop, North Nottinghamshire