Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

6th Aug 2011 - Storm/convective Forecasts, Discussion And Reports

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Newcastle United vs Fiorentina has been called off, that club is so unlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

No gone very quiet for now after a couple of forked lightning displays about half an hour ago, not sure that I will see anymore but been a fab day like, the flooding is not going to be the focus!

I have a little pool of water in the garden too - but I guess other places will have some major flooding.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Is there anyone able to give an update on the potential (or lack of potential) for later today & tomorrow down here?

To be honest I can't see much happenning for the rest of today for our area. Showers are intensifying one minute then weakening the next as they move up from the SW - something may crop up but at the moment it just doesnt look like it. Tomorrow, supposedly there is a better chance of catching some thundery showers. However I think its going to be a similar story to today. We will just have to see how things do, or dont develop. The Met Office are still currently saying thundery downpours will be more widespread for us tomorrow afternoon.

Edited by Bugganuts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

The thunder was great in that last storm, started off rolling and ended in a rather loud boom.

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14431625

Darlington, Durham, Consett and parts of Northumberland are the worst hit areas, with some homes flooded. The Environment Agency warned areas across the north of England could face disruption, predicting up to 50mm (2in) of rain on Saturday night.

Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue service said conditions were "severe".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Rain intensifying again here, looks like a very wet night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

just found this on youtube....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYHKQYTm7nA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

All has calmed down for the past 30 minutes, but i only have to look south of Darlo to see what's on our way.

:help:

Posted

Couple of odd flashes in the North Sea recently

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

chester le street, canny video from earlier on YouTube:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

To be honest I can't see much happenning for the rest of today for our area. Showers are intensifying one minute then weakening the next as they move up from the SW - something may crop up but at the moment it just doesnt look like it. Tomorrow, supposedly there is a better chance of catching some thundery showers. However I think its going to be a similar story to today. We will just have to see how things do, or dont develop. The Met Office are still currently saying thundery downpours will be more widespread for us tomorrow afternoon.

I think showers will be the order of the day tomorrow, nothing thundery.

Posted

Talking of showers. Got that convective feature from Wales about to hit here within the next 5 mins, prepped up on radar somewhat so keeping my eyes on the screen and out the window for now.

Posted

A bit of the clearance with cloud breaking slightly. Still the odd spot of rain, but birds are singing in the tree and the blackbirds are tucking into the worms.

Talking of showers. Got that convective feature from Wales about to hit here within the next 5 mins, prepped up on radar somewhat so keeping my eyes on the screen and out the window for now.

Same here!

I'll say it again - convection looks great today, lovely hazy feel to the clouds, even though it ain't that warm and there is nothing especially severe nearby, it looks good out there :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well, yet again the 6th August has brough memories of severe weather. This time it's for NE England, SE and no doubt C and E Scotland later also.

Turning out to be quite a memorable date!

Posted

Well, yet again the 6th August has brough memories of severe weather. This time it's for NE England, SE and no doubt C and E Scotland later also.

Turning out to be quite a memorable date!

I was thinking that to myself earlier! hehe

Posted

post-8763-0-37011400-1312648803_thumb.jp

Well that was quite a nice surprise from that cell which just passed. 5.25pm I was looking towards Ladder Hill (southwards from my location towards Buxton) and noticed this feature popping out the clouds that inevitably turned out to be a Funnel Cloud. I wasn't able to get a good depth or height scale, but it was quite a substantial feature and obviously not scud. The 3rd Funnel sighting locally for myself now in as many years, and for some reason they seem to favor this location to the South (could be just variables and depth perception however.)

The cricketers I could see at the other end of the valley (on the hill to the left) weren't phased by it, so were oblivious to what was rotating above their heads. I had to edit the origional image somewhat to limit the filesize and to bring out the structure more, but this shows more depth & structure anyhow.

Posted

Lost the lightning activity now according to the radar. Gone quiet again and a little chilly too

Posted

Rain is once again falling in Darlington, not heavy for now................

Spot of rain here too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Sounds like its been an intense day up there in the North so far. Back down here in the SW, personally I havent seen anything at all bar a few fluffy clouds, and tomorrow has now been slightly downgraded as the 'heavy showers' are predicted to be more scattered than originally predicted. The more widespread stuff seems to have been pushed down to Cornwall/The Channel in updated precipitation chart forecasts. I doubt anything exciting will happen for me. I feel a bit guilty wishing to see a storm and then watching the problems it can cause with flooding etc! But would love to at least get something before summer ends...

Edited by Bugganuts