Posted

SKYWARN UK SEVERE WEATHER WARNING #040

ISSUED: 1000UTC SATURDAY 6TH AUGUST 2011

SKYWARN UK HAS ISSUED A SEVERE WEATHER WARNING FOR THE FOLLOWING REGIONS:

CENTRAL SCOTLAND

EASTERN SCOTLAND

NORTHERN ENGLAND

IN EFFECT UNTIL 1200UTC SUNDAY 7TH AUGUST

DEVELOPING SURFACE CYCLOGENESIS UP THE EASTERN SIDE OF THE UK STALLING A FOCUS OF CONVECTIVE RAINFALL

SEVERE WEATHER IS EXPECTED IMMINENTLY, OR OCCURRING, SOMEWHERE WITHIN THE REGIONS INDICATED. THREATS WITHIN THIS WARNING INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:

HEAVY RAIN...PERSISTENT RAIN...FLOODING...STRONG GUSTS

DISCUSSION:

THERE IS STRONG MODEL CONFIDENCE OF A SEVERE RAINFALL THREAT TO THE WARNING AREA. DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON AND EVENING, STORMS ALREADY EVIDENT WILL CLUSTER INTO A DYNAMIC RAINMASS WHICH BECOMES STALLED OVER THE SOUTHERN UPLANDS AND AREAS WITHIN 50 MILES OF THERE. RAIN IS EXPECTED TO BE HEAVIEST OVERNIGHT AROUND EASTERN PORTIONS, BUT NONETHELESS ACCUMULATIONS ABOVE 40MM ARE EXPECTED FOR THE AREAS CONCERNED WITHIN THE PERIOD, WITH UP TO 100MM POSSIBLE OVER HIGH GROUND. FURTHER RAINFALL IS EXPECTED TO LAST WELL INTO SUNDAY MORNING. THERE EXISTS A DEFINITE THREAT OF FLOODING IN STEEP CATCHMENTS, AND SURFACE FLOODING ELSEWHERE. PLEASE MONITOR WEATHER AND TRAVEL INFORMATION REGULARLY.

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS REQUESTED AND SPOTTERS ARE REQUESTED TO REPORT ALL FACTORS EXCEEDING ACTIVATION CRITERIA

http://www.skywarn.org.uk/current.html

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

On-going thunderstorm for over 30 mins now just off the coast. Very loud deep rumbles and lightning observed on several occasions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Very overcast here, I am glad someone is hearing thunder. I cannot hear any distant thunder due to noise pollution from some roadworks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Still nothing decent in Darlington, just steady light rain, is there anything heading my way as the beeb say's there will be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Rain? What rain. It has been dry here all day as is so offern the case. We have a strange clymet around here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Same here, overcast and the odd spot of rain and drizzle over here too after that heavy rain earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Overcast here with the odd spot of rain

Posted

got a monsoon here.

Any thunder?

Posted

Gone very dark here and looking at radar things are goin down hill

Flash Bang Thunderstorm in Cramlington

TONY

Edited by topsweep1506

Posted

Thunder and rain now over Darlington, it's got very dark in the past 5 minutes looks as if something is coming our way, the sky is getting ready to explode.

Posted

grr I am being surrounded and still nothing, I am being teased :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Its getting alot darker here but theres nowt on the radar

Posted

WOW!! What a huge crack of Thunder we've just had in Darlington, we had a big lightening strike as well.

Posted

rainfall rate showing 28mm/hr

That last crack of lightning in Darlington was something else drunk.gif, really getting intense here! Best storm for years!!! drinks.gifvery scary at times ph34r.gif LOL!!!

Posted

That last crack of lightning in Darlington was something else drunk.gif, really getting intense here! Best storm for years!!! drinks.gifvery scary at times ph34r.gif LOL!!!

Tell me about it, it was a huge strike, it looked really close to some houses but it appears to of missed them.

Posted

Got fog rolling in now. I think I may have heard a very distant rumble of thunder.