Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2011/12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Great to see the snow taking a real boost recently. However I think the UK will be staying Green for some time yet. CFS is pretty much saying no to winter until January at the earliest but of course its not the most reliable of models but it has been consistent. There is a good chance I say of people down here of going over a year since the last snowfall!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Yes, as others have said it's looking good for much more build up of snow on the continent. We certainly need to keep a closer eye on developments over eastern europe and initially Scandinavia in terms of where we go from here into winter proper. Personally I like this slowly developing situation and it would not surprise me to see snowfall in the north as early as during the working week of 21st November, which hopefully in time can transfer its way south and southwestwards. It is all a long way off but then, so is winter proper and I take heed of the words of Old Met Man, in that things, when they want to, can change quite rapidly indeed.

Whether, there's a intrinsic link between a snowy near-continent and subsequent snowy prospects for us, I do not attain to know. However, I feel it can only be viewed as beneficial. Out of interest, an easterly/southeasterly is projected to occur for a few days, at least for folk down south, so maybe this could be seen as a portent to this type of setup in future. :search: For now, the westerlys aren't exactly battering our coasts and hills and personally I see this as an opportunity EVENTUALLY, for a predominant wind from the North/Northeast as in recent winters.

There's many more global indicators/factors than those I've mentioned above :acute: but I'm hopeful that a pattern change will show in the not so distant future.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Met office 30day outlook forecasts wintery showers for the start of december that was yesterday.

Posted

Be very , very careful when looking at GFS charts that far out!

It's a place that people on here lovingly refere to as 'Fantasy Island' (FI), where all kinds of snowey and ice age type synoptics always live!

And 95% of the time, that's where they should stay as they hardly ever verify.

We shall get some 'cooler' weather next week, but be careful of the detail, it can lead to immense toys out of pram throwing and hissy fits. :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Be very , very careful when looking at GFS charts that far out!

It's a place that people on here lovingly refere to as 'Fantasy Island' (FI), where all kinds of snowey and ice age type synoptics always live!

And 95% of the time, that's where they should stay as they hardly ever verify.

What GFS FI is well known for is its seemingly default position of overcooking lows coming in from the Atlantic. I'm not sure why it does that but, if you want zonality, GFS is usually a better bet.

Edited by ukpaul

Posted

Good to see prospects for scandi are looking much better in the coming days - hopefully some healthy snow cover in the next few days.

I'd love to be in Kola peninsula in the coming days...

Hoping we may see one or two dots of snow over northern britain before the month is out - it would be quite unusual for the highlands not to see any snow during November - we have seen some in sept and october already. Also quite unusual for the lakeland fells not to receive at least a light temporary dusting before the month is out. If the atlantic moves in it will bring some cooler uppers - evaporative cooling will then have the chance of bringing some snowfalls just as it did around the 18th October.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer & Snowy Winter

:cold: woohoo. So how cold is that going to get?

Don't know..

Do you think we going to get some snow?

gfs-3-192.png?6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Don't know..

Do you think we going to get some snow?

gfs-3-192.png?6

No, I would say very unlikely, save for far North. However, IMO, this is the beginning of a period, from w/c 21st November, that I am watching closely. From this period onwards, it looks likely there will be a few alternating Polar and Tropical Maritime air masses.

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Afternoon all!

Well here's today's update, look at the negative anomoly over Scandi'!

13thnov2011.gif

13thnov2011na.gif

13thnov2011anom.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

A massive potent front is moving down Scandi as we speak, currently teetering across northern Norway, into Alta, Vadso and Kirkenes, expect lowering dewpoints and snowstorms as uppers in Finnmark were around -1c/-2c at 6pm, but at midnight are projected to be around -11c/-12c, some areas in the kola peninsula should have -16c/-17c uppers tomorrow.

Webcams in northern Norway and the scandi mtns should be lovely in the morning- hopefully some rogue showers might hit lapland, very cold air is funneling southwards as we speak.

Posted

Alta airport at 3c with rain showers, snow. Kirkenes at 3c and mostly cloudy, Vadso at 4c and mostly cloudy. Pulse of showers moving down into nw finland. Scandi mtns are getting a pummeling, as is the nw coast of Norway, no showers getting into swedish lapland.

Posted

We certainly do need more snow in Scandinavia.

Looking at the archives, during mild winters here in the UK snow cover over Europe was more to the South and East in places like Turkey...

However in colder winters in recent times the empthasis on snow cover was to the North and West over Scandinavia and less snowcover in the South and East (Turkey for example).

At the moment, it looks like the cold and snow is further south and east with less snow in Scandinavia however there is still time for that to change.

Posted

Webbkameror.se (possibly) and the finnish road cams site would also be quite good from now until Wed, so would a Murmansk cam, cannot provide any as on phone currently.

Scattered pulses of rain and snow expected throughout the night in Finnmark and maybe north-east lapland.

Would a lack of snow in the Alps have any affect on our weather this winter?

In itself not really,however if we were to get Easterlies any lack of snow generally across Europe wouldn't help in terms of the temps of those Easterlies.

There are also links at times between their weather and ours, e.g at the moment, but us and the Alps are experiencing mild weather for the time of year.

Posted

In itself not really,however if we were to get Easterlies any lack of snow generally across Europe wouldn't help in terms of the temps of those Easterlies.

There are also links at times between their weather and ours, e.g at the moment, but us and the Alps are experiencing mild weather for the time of year.

Thanks.

Posted

NORWAY 950pm GMT

-1c light snow, Hammerfest

2c showers in the vicinity, Alta

3c mostly cloudy, Kirkenes

2c rain and snow, Tromso

2c mostly cloudy, Vadso

FINLAND 1020pm GMT

3c light rain, Ivalo

2c light rain, Enontekio

2c mostly cloudy, Kittila

-1c mostly cloudy, Rovaniemi

Interesting picture as you can see- should be very snowy in some cams by the morning, Tromso and Hammerfest the best to look at I'd imagine, but with -15c uppers arriving through the night, no marginal stuff is coming. All snow from 3am onwards.

Posted

NORWAY 950pm GMT

-1c light snow, Hammerfest

2c showers in the vicinity, Alta

3c mostly cloudy, Kirkenes

2c rain and snow, Tromso

2c mostly cloudy, Vadso

FINLAND 1020pm GMT

3c light rain, Ivalo

2c light rain, Enontekio

2c mostly cloudy, Kittila

-1c mostly cloudy, Rovaniemi

Interesting picture as you can see- should be very snowy in some cams by the morning, Tromso and Hammerfest the best to look at I'd imagine, but with -15c uppers arriving through the night, no marginal stuff is coming. All snow from 3am onwards.

Good to see some snow in Scandinavia. Is there any more forecast for the next few days?

Posted

Yes I remember the difference between the easterlies of early dec 95 compared to early dec 02, in 95 we saw snow showers thanks to a much colder continent with good snow cover, however, in 02 we just recorded very wet sleety snow showers barely covering the ground thanks to much less snow cover and hence a warmer continent.

Last Nov and Dec saw northeasterlies over good snow cover in scandi which combined with warm north sea produced the snowy goods.

Easterlies in March have a much greater probability of delivering snow than easterlies in late nov and early december. Northerlies and northeasterlies are the best direction for snow until we reach mid december when easterlies and northwesterlies also become directions for snow.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Finnish lapland and NE Norway should see some tomorrow and maybe Tuesday, another northerly flow appears on Thursday/Friday, expect slight dustings.

http://ekstra.htg.no/webcam/img/alta_fullsize.jpg

Cannot link as on phone, but here is Alta in northern Norway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Finnish lapland and NE Norway should see some tomorrow and maybe Tuesday, another northerly flow appears on Thursday/Friday, expect slight dustings.

http://ekstra.htg.no...ta_fullsize.jpg

Cannot link as on phone, but here is Alta in northern Norway.

A fair bit of snow there.