Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tuesday 6th Sept - Storms, high winds and rain

Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Winds look to have already peaked, although they seem to be picking up slightly here. A station just off the South East coast is reporting a sustained wind speed of 47mph. Now that's intense!

I'd be very surprised if it was sustained winds of 47mph. I'm a few miles inland from the coast and my readings aren't far off of Bournemouth airports, and i'm only managing 20mph in a 10 minute gust reading. So i think 47mph is a bit over the top! lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I'd be very surprised if it was sustained winds of 47mph. I'm a few miles inland from the coast and my readings aren't far off of Bournemouth airports, and i'm only managing 20mph in a 10 minute gust reading. So i think 47mph is a bit over the top! lol

There are 5 stations just off the Southern coast registering 45-47mph sustained. Don't forget they're out to sea and it's likely to be very rough. Is your area built up?

Posted

Yep, Sandown Pier on the IOW (well what's left of it!) reporting 46 mph with higher gusts:

post-6667-0-13767500-1315309017.jpg

post-6667-0-13767500-1315309017_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

There are 5 stations just off the Southern coast registering 45-47mph sustained. Don't forget they're out to sea and it's likely to be very rough. Is your area built up?

I still don't believe that's correct. Sustained winds are an average either over a 10min period, or a 1min period. In either case, that would make it pretty close to a tropical storm.

Posted

Just a tad breezy here - Meto probably got this one right with the non issueance of Weather Warnings for the more built up areas inland in the SE. Coasts obviously will be under greatest threat due to the locality to the Sea and the South Western Approaches

Posted

Unofficial figures from my AWS showing average windspeeds of 32.7mph and a gust of 49mph just after midday. ( Fairlight/Hastings).

Is anyone elsea having trouble getting into UKweatherworld? I can get onto main page but cant access anything else all morning. I keep getting a 404 error.

Edited by Bluebreezer54

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I still don't believe that's correct. Sustained winds are an average either over a 10min period, or a 1min period. In either case, that would make it pretty close to a tropical storm.

You'd better believe it, The mean wind speed can be much higher than that in the uk, 47mph sustained is only just into Severe gale force 9 on the beaufort scale.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Unofficial figures from my AWS showing average windspeeds of 32.7mph and a gust of 49mph just after midday. ( Fairlight/Hastings).

Is anyone elsea having trouble getting into UKweatherworld? I can get onto main page but cant access anything else all morning. I keep getting a 404 error.

theyve been updating the forum by the looks of it :)

Posted

Drive down here and you will see that those speeds are almost certain to be correct.

By the way, I am just half a mile from the seafront so do feel the winds badly.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

so do feel the winds badly.

f015.gif

Posted

I have just been for a drive around and their are a number of road closers due to trees down around Chichester, Selsey and Bognor. I went down to the beach but the tide was out so no nice wave breaking over the sea walls. Some kite surfers where out having fun. I am going to pop over to Hayling Island in a bit.

It is quite frustrating driving around some of the roads with little old dears driving at 15/20 mph with there lights on full beam just getting on every ones nerves. I am sure if the MetO had issued warning most of them would have stayed at home. And police officers closing roads half way along the road with the tree down and not blocking the road at the junction!

I have just found out my kestrels anemometer bearing is rubbing so I am not recording the true wind strength, I was only recording 24mph on Selsey Bill and I am sure it was stronger than that.

Didn't see much to warrant taking any photos although the amount of debris from trees in the road would have made a couple of good images but where it was really bad I had no where to stop.

Posted

f015.gif

Haha poorly put indeed! rofl.gif

As to reply to Adi F, I have certainly seen the debri around and CHIMET can prove your poor anemometer has a major problem. Like me, perhaps it is getting older and slower. I so much hate those old people driving at a snail pace just because the wind is gusty, even if it is very gusty. Just stay home!!!

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

I've just sent two of our lads down to Arundel, I hope they make it and don't have to book overtime!!!!! rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Great to hear what's happening around the country but is there supposed to be some strongs winds again for the north later this afternoon? I thought it was all going to die away by then?

Posted

Great to hear what's happening around the country but is there supposed to be some strongs winds again for the north later this afternoon? I thought it was all going to die away by then?

The winds will strengthen over the north later this afternoon into the evening, the centre of the low will be passing through Scotland with the strongest winds to the south of the depression and as it exits into the north sea.

Posted

Haha poorly put indeed! rofl.gif

As to reply to Adi F, I have certainly seen the debri around and CHIMET can prove your poor anemometer has a major problem. Like me, perhaps it is getting older and slower. I so much hate those old people driving at a snail pace just because the wind is gusty, even if it is very gusty. Just stay home!!!

Yeap I need to get a new blade for it. It has done me well though. I think a month in the Jungle killed it to be honest but i am sure its only the blade that needs replacing, everything else is working fine.

I've just sent two of our lads down to Arundel, I hope they make it and don't have to book overtime!!!!! rolleyes.gif

Give them the overtime, or I will go and whisper health and safety in their ear ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

The winds will strengthen over the north later this afternoon into the evening, the centre of the low will be passing through Scotland with the strongest winds to the south of the depression and as it exits into the north sea.

Cheers Mate, wind is starting pick up here that's why I was asking as it wasn't too bad earlier! Got a huge oak tree in the grounds at work here and the branches are swaying all over the place now.

Posted

Aren't they likely to book overtime anyway as Arundel is a nice place to stay? wink.png

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

Was on my way back from school, a tree fell on the metropolitan line blocking it while iwas in the train

Posted

Aren't they likely to book overtime anyway as Arundel is a nice place to stay? wink.png

Not in this weather! nea.gif

I'm still getting sustained winds of 33.6 mph out of the office window.

Posted

Squally showers here torrential rain and hail mixed in ,accompanied by very gusty winds. The keswick Launch Company has cancelled all there ferry trips round the lake due to the conditions.

Posted

Still pretty windy out there!

post-6667-0-16875400-1315314170.jpg

post-6667-0-16875400-1315314170_thumb.jp

Posted

Squally showers here torrential rain and hail mixed in ,accompanied by very gusty winds. The keswick Launch Company has cancelled all there ferry trips round the lake due to the conditions.

The depression has a central pressure of 976mb shown on latest observations off the NW isles of Scotland, slightly lower than progged but not by much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

The best gust here or near here is 61mph Solent http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/solent_latest_weather.html all the walnuts have blown off my tree and a wheelbarrow took off, I got it back from the hedge.

Welcome to Autumn.