Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia To Hit The Uk - Chat Thread 2

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Thanks for the reply guys sorry if it was a dumb question hi.gif

Hey, not a dumb a question at all, you only learn if you ask, and I am sure I have asked many questions on this site! lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

For those of you in the north, enjoy and stay safe!! It's going to be the best storm for a long while for you northerners!!

For those of us in the south, don't worry, there is always Hurricane Maria!!!!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Its going to cross northern Scotland, probably the far north.

Posted

Thanks for the reply guys sorry if it was a dumb question hi.gif

Don't be silly, far from a dumb question, that's the point of being on a forum so you can ask if you aren't sure :D

so is it going to be windy enough down here in the south west .. i need to get my washing out pmsl smile.png

The gusts may be strong so I wouldn't advise on it!

Here is the Chief Forecaster's view as posted on UKww:

Chief Forecaster's Assessment

Hurricance Katia has now become an intense mid latitude depression and is heading towards the UK.

The centre of the depression will pass over northern Scotland later on Monday, bringing the strongest winds to the north of Northern Ireland and to central

and southern Scotland, where there are likely to be 60-70 mph gusts even inland, and gusts of 80 mph or more over exposed coasts, hills and bridges.

Powerful gusts will also occur to the east of high ground from mid-Wales northwards with a risk of 70-80 mph gusts for parts of northeast England

and southeast Scotland during Monday evening.

Heavy rain will be an additional hazard for western Scotland, with as much as 50-100 mm in places

70/80mph gusts could cause a considerable number of trees to fall, with knock on effects regarding power etc.

The main issue in this event is that the trees are in full leaf.

Regarding the May 2011 low which hit Scotland the highest gusts mentioned on Met monthly review are 77mph and 84mph.

http://www.metoffice...k/2011/may.html

100mph might have been recorded above 600m asl

Edited by Teesdale

Posted

Its going to cross northern Scotland, probably the far north.

And that's why I'm prepared just in case, garden tidied up, checked batteries in torches, gas for camping stoves, chainsaw sharpened and fueled up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Met Office don't issue warnings for 50mph wind gusts. I've read the criteria for wind is repeated gusts of at least 70mph.

Posted

Using the comparrison on my site i have looked at the Nae charts for 0000z Monday from forecast periods 06z Saturday and 06z Sunday

The change in 24 hours has been a shift North westwards and a change in pressure from 970mb 24 hours earlier to 962mb at 06z forecast time.

The biggest change came with the 12z run yesterday, subsequent runs have showed the adjustments slightly south and east, however not as far south and east as the first run. It seems that the 12z had a more accurate look at this storm and it might be interesting to see what todays 12z will show.

Posted

Met Office don't issue warnings for 50mph wind gusts. I've read the criteria for wind is repeated gusts of at least 70mph.

I honestly believe they think it's going to be alot stronger than that, wait for their next update and see if they increase their speed predictions!

Posted

Ugh, I hate the Express! And the shoddy sensationalist journalism around these events which misleads the general public to believe that the storm will hit the whole country, when it's actually going to affect mainly northern areas...so on Tuesday there'll probably be loads of people moaning that forecasters got it wrong with cries of 'where's the hurricane?' etc . . .

http://www.express.c...sts/view/270321

I'm coming in a bit late on all this, but on Friday I was saying to my dad that I couldn't wait to see how the Daily Express would cover this and whether they'd do a headline with the traditional '(weather) TO (verb) BRITAIN!' template. Then today I saw Saturday's front page -

http://www.express.co.uk/ourpaper/view/2011-09-10

Edited by Godot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

And that's why I'm prepared just in case, garden tidied up, checked batteries in torches, gas for camping stoves, chainsaw sharpened and fueled up.

I am completely blaming my pregnancy brain but for a moment I was seriously wondering why you needed a chainsaw. Michael Myers flashed through my mind before I realised it was for any trees that go doh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

For those of you in the north, enjoy and stay safe!! It's going to be the best storm for a long while for you northerners!!

For those of us in the south, don't worry, there is always Hurricane Maria!!!!

Seems everyone has a short memory, just a couple of months back we had 108mph gusts in Eastern Scotland. Made for an "interesting" journey back from Dundee to Fife.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/article/14455/tay-road-bridge-recorded-winds-of-nearly-110mph.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Tropical air in Eastbourne without having to go to the Tropics!! clap.gif

Does anyone remember the warm and sticky period leading up to the 1987 storm? whistling.gif

You cheeky devil there Coast ;)

Posted

I am completely blaming my pregnancy brain but for a moment I was seriously wondering why you needed a chainsaw. Michael Myers flashed through my mind before I realised it was for any trees that go doh.gif

Trees?

Nah, it's for the HaggII, they turn nasty when they get the wind up 'em wink.png

Posted

Been raining here most of the day in Perthshire after yesterdays "heat". Keeping a close eye on this one as the eldest has a reasonably long journey to school through the back roads with forestry either side. I see the local offroading experience at a local hotel had some problems after a Landy tried to negotiate a swollen burn resulting in the emergency services having to rescue 7 members of the public !!!

Maitland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I'm coming in a bit late on all this, but on Friday I was saying to my dad that I couldn't wait to see how the Daily Express would cover this and whether they'd do a headline with the traditional '(weather) TO (verb) BRITAIN!' template. Then today I saw Saturday's front page -

http://www.express.c...view/2011-09-10

rofl.gif You were right to look forward to it.

Posted

im thinking we could get some quite strong gusts on the south coast! This is not me hope casting btw. I really think it could get quite windy in the south! obviously nothing like up north but i might see some 40-50 mph gusts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

Trees?

Nah, it's for the HaggII, they turn nasty when they get the wind up 'em wink.png

haggll?

Posted

Well that's the garden furniture and anything else that could pose a risk out of harms way. Not that were expecting anything out of the norm, but it helps to be prepared than wondering why one didn't pack away the summer chairs earlier than allowing them to go through the patio window. Family relative in the services say they are expecting a slight rise in emergency calls during the next two days, but nothing current resources can't handle unless circumstances change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

http://www.express.c...view/2011-09-10

Free loaf though........wink.png

haggll?

Hagissis...

Posted

All eyes to the South West and Southern coast of Ireland as the first front from ex-Katia is starting to encroach into the UK. A warm front so by nature it won't be active convective wise, however it'll bring in yet more plume of moisture to feed precip once it encounters topographic lifting.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_IR.html

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Wind obs may also pick up for a time once the front passes over, Valentia reporting 33mph gusts as of now, the cloud-base over central England as of this time is associated with yesterdays frontal system and will gradually become mixed within ex-Katia.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The models are only saying 50mph gusts because it's not taking in to account the jet stream. That's where human input is vital. There's easy potential for 100mph + gusts on Monday night over the high ground.