Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia To Hit The Uk - Chat Thread 2

Coast

Posted

I agree with most of you in believing that this will be just a autumnal deep pressure storm, nothing that we haven't seen before. I live in London so here defo will be just a breezy day ... The only thing I see it unusual is the freezing level; for London on Mon afternoon is about 4700m which is very high for this latitude and time of year, but that will be probably the only sign for us in south that an extra tropical storm will bypass us. Interesting by Mon night the freezing level due to drop by 2500m at 2200 as result of the cold front behind. Normally such sudden drop in freezing levels in short time is acompaniate by gusty winds or heavy rains/thunderstorm...don't think will b the case now ...anyone has other opinion on this? Sorry for bad typo I write this from my phone with predictive on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

Big hugs Becky, stay safe as well, Im sure Plockton will close early if they feel its dangerous. xx

And yes it an extra tropical storm just about to deep I assume because of slightly warmer moist air to the south and then deepen. So dont be surrpised if it pulls a surprise... Its and extra tropical featuring misbehaving!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

any chance it will track low over Dorset? we need it really

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Although a very potent depression on the strong side and slightly earlier in the season than one would expect it won't be exceptional in terms of wind speed, you can expect a few storms during autumn and winter to deliver 70-80mph gusts.

However predicted wind gusts in the worse affected areas of 70-80mph must not be taken lightly, expect damage to trees with uprooted trees blocking some roads, damage to structures also a very real possibility resulting in a risk of injury from flying debris.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Tried hunting up the old thread on Atlantic storms ahh here it is worth a read I've just bumped it up by the way.

I'm going for 50 mph here possible 55 mph on Tuesday. Since my bin isn't very full I'll leave it in Tuesday don't want to cause an accident by it going into the road. The bin men have got out of the habit of putting them in a safe location.

For those who didn't see this mornings forecast you shouldn't really be criticising me for passing the information on. If you didn't see it you can't really comment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Hi, I'm new. I'm at 1000ft in the border hills and we get a lot of wind. We've had wind, rain and lightning the last few days and are getting tidied up for Katia now. I will be glad of this forum when the winter comes for the snow forecast - we get a lot of snow here and once it lies it stays ! Last year we were at four and a half feet of the stuff and ran out of places to put itrofl.gif Just wondering when this storm is to hit and how long it's expected to last? TY.

OMG! Can I move in with you??????????? biggrin.png

I LOVE snow!!!!! and stupid-poxy-Nottingham got a lousy 8-9" for the ENTIRE winter last year. and only 3" the year before!!!!! sorry.gif . We also never get any decent storms, just a few thunders and a couple flashes and in fifteen minutes its all over.....

I am totally praying to all the storm gods to have Katia cartwheel a 90 degree angle south and drift across the scottish borders so the midlands get some decent wind!! tongue.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Tried hunting up the old thread on Atlantic storms ahh here it is http://forum.netweat...__fromsearch__1 worth a read I've just bumped it up by the way.

I'm going for 50 mph here possible 55 mph on Tuesday. Since my bin isn't very full I'll leave it in Tuesday don't want to cause an accident by it going into the road. The bin men have got out of the habit of putting them in a safe location.

For those who didn't see this mornings forecast you shouldn't really be criticising me for passing the information on. If you didn't see it you can't really comment.

I saw the BBC breakfast weather this morning. The presenter did say 70 mph in Scotland, but did mention gales are possible elsewhere too but much less extreme.

Posted

I saw the BBC breakfast weather this morning. The presenter did say 70 mph in Scotland, but did mention gales are possible elsewhere too but much less extreme.

I was waiting for the possible up to 90 mph which for me would put it in the exceptional cat. Maybe later. Another question since the main strength has been delayed a bit how does it now tie up with the the tides?

True, but the pit is definitely NOT an expert lol I've been reading this forum for a while and he's clueless

If you say so pity I'm quoting the met office forecast.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

i've just managed to get my roof back on ,it's now strapped down with metal as well ,

our local council have issued a statement about it

just a pic to remind people what happened in a normalish storm for us

stormdamage007.jpg

so i'm watching this one carefully

also has anybody any ideas about tornado's with this one

i saw 2 on tue over the moor ,cookie missed them

trying to find as many updates as i can ,

seems we are amber

Edited by milkmaid

Posted

Meto update to location forecasts for my area has sustained wind speeds of 40mph and gusts over 65mph enough to cause local problems, so very windy even south of the Scottish Border here.

Posted

Met Office Mountain Forecast

Peak District: Frequent gusts of around 50 to 55 mph are likely, especially in the north and west of the area.

Yorkshire Dales: Frequent gusts of up to 60 mph are expected over all high ground, giving considerable buffeting.

Snowdonia: Southwesterly winds of 40 to 50 mph above 500 m, regularly gusting 50 to 60 mph over the summits.

Lake District: Southwesterly winds expected to gust around 75mph over ridges and summits

East Highland: Southerly or southwesterly winds expected to gust around 80mph over ridges and summits

West Highland: Southerly or southwesterly winds expected to gust around 80mph over ridges and summits

Posted

Lake district Mountain forecast for Monday, sustained winds of 70mph with gusts to over 100mph. I won't be venturing up any mountains!!

http://www.mwis.org.uk/boicybiogh/LD.PDF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Welcome new members to Netweather,smile.png

If you haven't done so yet, please could you pop your locations in your profiles.

Thank you.biggrin.png

Posted
Meto just updated warnings. Amber warnings now extend into N England, no mention of wind speeds. http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Interesting only just been done perhaps Scottie knows the speeds.

Now the country file forecast winds gusting to 70 possibly 80 for Scotland and northern England gusty further south. There words not mine. Now that's pushing it towards one of the more notable storms in the autumn.

Off to xcweather too see if they've updated the average speeds at all.

Posted

Looks to me the Met Office are shifting the amber warning in correlation with the populated areas likely to be effected by this. By definitions going from wind speeds Cumbria should also be in this 'zone' yet they decided to lower it into the NE due to the populated areas I would imagine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Interesting that the Met' Office advisories have been shifted slightly southward. The exact track of this depression is obviously still open to debate and another shift southward of 100 miles or so would make things a bit exciting.

I'm expecting a stormy day tomorrow being in the Western Isles. But from my point of view some people are going a bit over the top with some wind speeds. I've seen forecasts say worse than this and we just manage to hit around 80 to 90mph gusts. It won't really be a problem in the Western Isles with trees since we don't have any. As for the mainland of Scotland it is more concerning at the moment they look to get the worse of it and with tree's in full leaf it's rather worrying. In February this year a storm a lot worse than this hit Western Scotland however further north. 80mph to 90mph gusts were recorded and Cairngorms hit 110mph before the station went offline.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Yes this will be a case of the MO updating warnings a matter of hours prior to the event as wind speeds become more apparent.

Would not be surprised to see reds issued for at least western Scotland come tomorrow morning.

Looks to me the Met Office are shifting the amber warning in correlation with the populated areas likely to be effected by this. By definitions going from wind speeds Cumbria should also be in this 'zone' yet they decided to lower it into the NE due to the populated areas I would imagine.

I would imagine its more to do with lee wave gusts off the N Pennines.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

How common are 80mph gusts in Scotland in September?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I would imagine its more to do with lee wave gusts off the N Pennines.

That's what I was thinking. In March this year we got considerable lee wave gusts. In the city centre of Leeds it can get pretty darn windy, especially since it sits in a narrow valley.