Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia In The UK - Chat Thread 3

Coast

Posted

i wish people would stop banging on about how 'disappointing' and 'over-hyped' this storm was. what some people either forget or fail to realise is that weather forecasting is dynamic. this means it is ever-changing and updated as data is received and processed. in situations of severe weather, forecasters have to go with the 'worst-case scenario' potential of a weather system, in order to give warnings and make people aware of the dangers. in this situation, the storm did not end up as bad as it could have been. as i said, the weather is dynamic and could just as easily have gone the other way and created a large amount of damage and loss of life.

people should know by now that the media will always over-hype the potential of severe weather because it makes a good story.

my advice is to ignore the media and listen to the forecasters, bearing in mind, they will always err on the side of caution where bad weather is concerned.

Spot on.

Posted

Some pretty strong gusts occuring here in the last 15mins, perhaps the strongest it been all day which is a bit strange because normally in these situations, you expect the wind to decrease a bit once the sun goes down. Even though it has been another quite windy day it was not to the levels of yesterday evening.

The low delivered what I was expecting 60 nearly touching 70MPH gusts, it could of been stronger if earlier model projections came off and we could of added another 10-15mph onto those gusts but people must remember this was generally a low filling at around 970MB once it properly reached us. Either way, it was an pretty strong low for early-mid September

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

Wind isnt more than 40mph here tonight, but as we have already lost some roof tiles ive got my fingers crossed we don't lose anymore that may have been loosened yesterday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

I loved the build up to this, all the forecasting / nowcasting, looking at charts and the 'banter'....who cares if it wasn't the greatest storm ever, at least it brought lots of people who are intersted in the weather together and come on guys, it's only mid September, plenty more to come including the snow cool.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The January 2005 storm named 'Erwin' was the worse I can ever remember, Katia was a mouse compared to this lion!!

A sting jet occured over Cumbria bringing the upper level winds to the surface with 104mph gust on the Cumbrian Coast.

http://www.wiseweather.co.uk/id84.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The January 2005 storm named 'Erwin' was the worse I can ever remember, Katia was a mouse compared to this lion!!

A sting jet occured over Cumbria bringing the upper level winds to the surface with 104mph gust on the Cumbrian Coast.

http://www.wiseweather.co.uk/id84.html

Would love a repeat, we had 72 miles per hour winds here, with plenty of other days exceeding 60 mph!

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Would love a repeat, we had 72 miles per hour winds here, with plenty of other days exceeding 60 mph!

As much as I love severe weather I would never wish for a repeat of that night, frightening in one word with not one wink of sleep as the wind sounded like a low flying jet, the house was shaking and the ridge tiles were peeling off and crashing down.

No thanks, but if it were to happen again then I'm sure there would be an element of excitment among the fear.

Posted

As someone pointed out at work today, the guy who was killed worked as a volunteer bus driver for the local Butterwick Hospice in Bishop Auckland. His duties included collecting donations of stuff for the hospice from local companies. He has collected from my company and I think i'd spoken to him before in the past. Thoughts are with his family.

Please spare a though when craving destruction from weather events that some people lose their lives tragically because of them. Forecasters are only trying to prevent this happening by giving warnings that some may see as excessive. If that upsets you, then that's just sad. :-(

Very good post. We all love the weather, and often the extremes, but when it costs lives then the enjoyment of the weather is curtailed. R.I.P.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

and people have fell for it hook line and sinker . Someone on youtube yesterday claimed he was excited as he had never experienced a hurricane before. i politley said "and nor will you ever as you live in the uk"

He went on to call me an idiot and because he got 80mph winds it was a cat 1 hurricane and the 87 storm was a cat 4 hurricane

Someone getting their gusts mixed up with their sustained fool.gif

Very true, the sustained winds are much higher in a true hurricane although in 1987 storm the sustained winds where simular to those in a category 1 hurricane with gusts touching a strong category 2 but Katia was no more then what Americans would call a strong breeze lmao :) Compared with what they have to endure!

my advice is to ignore the media and listen to the forecasters, bearing in mind, they will always err on the side of caution where bad weather is concerned.

Urm, 1987 anyone? lol :) That was a cautious forecast if I ever heard one. "Abit windy up the channel" hahahaha!

When they say it was the worst storm for 15 years, what storm are they referring to in 1996? And they are presuming people have very short memories - forget the Jan 2005 (Erwin) & 2007 (Kryill), they don't matter despite the fact that they more way more destructive and deadly... I can't believe they think the public are that stupid

Edit: Ah yes it was the "last hurricane to strike the British Isles" in 1996 - Lili. Of course laugh.png

Actually the last ex-hurricane to strike the British Isles was Gordon back in 2009 but Lili in 96 was far more extreme it was a category 3 hurricane only 4 days before it arrived in the UK so it still had alot of power when it arrived with gusts in-excess of 90mph. :p The media also seem to have forgotten about the December/January storms of 97/98 in the ill Nino winter and the October storms of 2000 and 2002 in southern England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I've got a video for you guys.

Well the wind last night was VERY bad. This video proves it:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Awesome video, thanks for posting it! Was that being measured in MPH?

Posted

At about the same time we got a 47.9 Mph gust, got more lively than I thaught it would

Posted

Awesome video, thanks for posting it! Was that being measured in MPH?

Yeah it sure was :)

Posted

i wish people would stop banging on about how 'disappointing' and 'over-hyped' this storm was. what some people either forget or fail to realise is that weather forecasting is dynamic. this means it is ever-changing and updated as data is received and processed. in situations of severe weather, forecasters have to go with the 'worst-case scenario' potential of a weather system, in order to give warnings and make people aware of the dangers. in this situation, the storm did not end up as bad as it could have been. as i said, the weather is dynamic and could just as easily have gone the other way and created a large amount of damage and loss of life.

people should know by now that the media will always over-hype the potential of severe weather because it makes a good story.

Totally disagree. This is a forum for the purpose of discussion and as such folk have just as much right to 'bang on' about how disappointing or overhyped this storm was as anything else.... as long as they are polite and respectful to other members that is.

Posted

Totally disagree. This is a forum for the purpose of discussion and as such folk have just as much right to 'bang on' about how disappointing or overhyped this storm was as anything else.... as long as they are polite and respectful to other members that is.

well, it is your right to disagree but i think you may have missed the point. the general public always blame the forecasters for getting it wrong. however, this is a weather forum and we are members because we have an interest in the weather and how and why it happens.

i would have thought that due to the wealth of information and experience available on the forum, some members would be a little better informed than your average joe. my comment was aimed mainly at those who seem to think that the forecast was wrong, rather than look at the circumstances as to how the forecast was formed.

there is no problem with being disappointed as to how the weather turns out, but some then go on to blame the forecasters.

sometimes they do get it wrong but in this case, as with many situations, it was difficult to call, therefore in the interests of public safety, they erred on the side of caution

Posted

Here is a video taken from around 3 hours of footage taken whilst on Hayling Island beach. I had intended to go to Southsea sea front but due to a problem I had with a print job I missed high tide so just headed to Hayling Instead. I have subsequently seen some quite dramatic images from Southsea sea front so am gutted I did not get down there and missed high tide.

The footage was caught on a GoPro HD Hero. The sound is not great because I had the camera inside the fully waterproof housing. I mounted the camera to a 6 foot boom arm so I could push the camera out over the sea wall, this worked well and I am going to investigate longer boom arms. The one problem I had was holding the camera steady on the end of the boom arm in the high winds but the footage is not to bad. The knocking sound you can hear from time to time is the boom arm hitting the sea wall.

I forgot to put RainX on the lens hence why the water has beaded on it. I will remember to add RainX next time then the water drops should just run off.

I also forgot to pack some anti-fogging stuff so stuffed some tissue into the housing to try and stop it fogging up when hit by the cold sea water, which worked well but by the end of this clip you start to see that the housing has started to fog up. The tissue did work for about 2 hours though. Because it was nice and windy I could open the housing and the wind would take away any condensation.

It was no where nearly as stormy as I have seen it from other storms but then I did not really expect it to be that bad down her on the south coast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr2_LTIwffs

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Here is a video taken from around 3 hours of footage taken whilst on Hayling Island beach. I had intended to go to Southsea sea front but due to a problem I had with a print job I missed high tide so just headed to Hayling Instead. I have subsequently seen some quite dramatic images from Southsea sea front so am gutted I did not get down there and missed high tide.

The footage was caught on a GoPro HD Hero. The sound is not great because I had the camera inside the fully waterproof housing. I mounted the camera to a 6 foot boom arm so I could push the camera out over the sea wall, this worked well and I am going to investigate longer boom arms. The one problem I had was holding the camera steady on the end of the boom arm in the high winds but the footage is not to bad. The knocking sound you can hear from time to time is the boom arm hitting the sea wall.

I forgot to put RainX on the lens hence why the water has beaded on it. I will remember to add RainX next time then the water drops should just run off.

I also forgot to pack some anti-fogging stuff so stuffed some tissue into the housing to try and stop it fogging up when hit by the cold sea water, which worked well but by the end of this clip you start to see that the housing has started to fog up. The tissue did work for about 2 hours though. Because it was nice and windy I could open the housing and the wind would take away any condensation.

Hold it steady, man!

Wonderful video Adi!

Posted

I've got some in the garage?! unknw.gif

Nice vid Adi!!!

Posted

Cheers Guys.

I actually had RainX in the car but I just did not think about it. I think I am going to invest in an off camera digital sound recorder with fluffy wind shield to catch the best sound quality possible.

Posted
I've got a video for you guys.

Much more impressive on this video apart from the quality!!

My own video taken Monday evening, regular gusts to high 50's and a few over 60mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E48JwlkVrVk

My bad, just realised the video was yesterday not Monday like mine!!! :(

Posted

Cheers Guys.

I actually had RainX in the car but I just did not think about it. I think I am going to invest in an off camera digital sound recorder with fluffy wind shield to catch the best sound quality possible.

Good video Adi, it doesn't look as though it would take too much to breach that sea wall though, or is it misleading ? Oh and thanks for the technical info about the boom arm etc. I have never heard of rain ex, that sounds very useful for weather photography, any idea where I can get it from please ?

Posted

I have never heard of rain ex, that sounds very useful for weather photography, any idea where I can get it from please ?

lol, halfords! its for car windscreens but i suppose it could be useful for a camera lens good.gif

Posted

Much more impressive on this video apart from the quality!!

My own video taken Monday evening, regular gusts to high 50's and a few over 60mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E48JwlkVrVk

My bad, just realised the video was yesterday not Monday like mine!!! sad.png

Pfft Monday.

Tuesday is where it was at!