Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia In The UK - Chat Thread 3

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Strange just drove back from my sisters house and the wind has really picked up again. Branches have snapped from trees now and there's loads of debris all over the road... wind is howling at the minute...I expect it to die back soon though but over the past hour or two it seems to have been the windiest all day! lol

Posted

Wind is literally gusting to gale force the walls are shaking in my flat. Just been on to the balcony and parts of the roof are lifting some more, how come it's intensified more than earlier on? confused.com...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
Posted · Hidden by Liam J, September 12, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by Liam J, September 12, 2011 - No reason given

Still very windy here, gusting 55-60mph eased off to what it was earlier this afternoon (74.5mph)

Heres a video I took about 8pm, onions quality - it was getting dark and the weather wasn't helping

regular gusts here over 50mph with one gust 61.9mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E48JwlkVrVk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms
Wind is literally gusting to gale force the walls are shaking in my flat. Just been on to the balcony and parts of the roof are lifting some more, how come it's intensified more than earlier on? confused.com...
Now pulling away, strongest winds on southern and western flanks, therefore worse on east coast

Posted

Now pulling away, strongest winds on southern and western flanks, therefore worse on east coast

Thanks forgot about that explanation! ;-)

Edited by Paul-Michael

Posted

The wind has really got up again here too in the last hour or two, some gusts seem stronger than some we were experiencing earlier today.

Edited by Martin M

Posted

Still very windy here, gusting 50-60mph but has eased off from the strength it was late afternoon (74.6mph)

Heres a video I took about 8pm, excuse the qaulity as it was getting dark and the wind was blowing me around!!

1.13mins long so you can get a good idea of averages, gusts 50-60mph with one gust on the video to 61.9mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E48JwlkVrVk

Posted

Still very windy here, gusting 50-60mph but has eased off from the strength it was late afternoon (74.6mph)

Heres a video I took about 8pm, excuse the qaulity as it was getting dark and the wind was blowing me around!!

1.13mins long so you can get a good idea of averages, gusts 50-60mph with one gust on the video to 61.9mph.

Whats the device your using to record the wind speed? Shows what a difference the Cumbria coast makes, its been windy here, but just 20-40mph gusts, looked very rough out west.

Posted

Whats the device your using to record the wind speed? Shows what a difference the Cumbria coast makes, its been windy here, but just 20-40mph gusts, looked very rough out west.

It's a HoldPeak HP-816A

It has been very windy here today, lots of fun here on the Cumbrian coast in storms :)

Posted

Remaining very windy through tomorrow with gusts around 55mph or more possible, the shortwave need watching as the GFS shows potential for very strong winds into South and West Scotland into Northern England for a time tomorrow afternoon, NAE less intense with the feature but it is there.

A pretty stormy day by any standards, most of the gusts were 55-65mph and the strongest gust was 75mph and this literally took my breath away and knocked me over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Remaining very windy through tomorrow with gusts around 55mph or more possible, the shortwave need watching as the GFS shows potential for very strong winds into South and West Scotland into Northern England for a time tomorrow afternoon, NAE less intense with the feature but it is there.

A pretty stormy day by any standards, most of the gusts were 55-65mph and the strongest gust was 75mph and this literally took my breath away and knocked me over.

Yeh agreed, 60mph was the top gust at Crosby today (closest to me). Since I dont have reliable wind readings I would have to estimate around this value give or take 2 or 3mph.

I have been watching this secondary feature (for later on Tuesday) since the weekend and it was fairly potent on the NAE late yesterday, and today it seems somewhat weaker. But the GFS has a more intense feature as you say, so too does the ECM. Personally, I think it'll turn out to be a fairly potent feature with a much shorter period of very strong winds than today. I'll expect gusts to equal that of today (here anyway), and even exceed that if it's a strong feature as I'm more exposed from that wind direction.

Interesting to see what'll happen. Regardless, another very windy day on the cards for tomorrow. Wind still howling outside atm, not really decreasing a whole lot I have to say.

Edited by chris93

Posted

Completely calm outside now, not a breeze rustling the hedges in stark contrast to some 12 hours ago when I was outside in what felt like a 'hair-drier' facing 50mph gusts ontop of the reservoir bank and hilltop. Maximum gust now is a near-still 15mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

this feature(trough disturbance) keeping watch on for tuesday.

more later!

post-11361-0-89278600-1315869126_thumb.p

Posted

Agreed to an extent but I think they are too quick sometimes . There again it could just be the people who post on Netweather.

Reading through some of the posts last night you'd think it was a warning of Apocolypse Now and everything would be flattenned today with death and destruction all around, instead of a fairly ordinary winter-type storm ( I know, it's only Autumn) that has caused minimal travel disruption and probably common inconvenience to a good few people, which is not unusual !!

Not sure about that. Durham was badly affected today (yesterday). The roof crushing the cars in Langley Moor; a guy nilled between Barny and Stainmore when a tree fell on his car; numerous trees down; a tree felled the cables on the line at FErryhill causing HUGE disruption to all train services on the ECoast mainline for the rest of the day (I should know, my train was due just after it happened, so it's taken me 9 hours of buses and unorthodox routes to get to Cardiff!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

From tuesday morning..

looking at models just drawn up what i think is coming for tuesday-indicating on charts like this makes it alot easier to explain! so in northern areas some potentially very strong gusts especially shown by GFS 18z.

NAE indicates some very heavy downpours over for instance Scotland(could shift abit to south for example) GFS showing some unstable air over Scotland especially so thunder possible i would think , also we have some very cold upper temps covering all areas on tuesday, this in the south helping to build up some downpours which could become thundery with strong gusts possible here but should not be like in the north where the strongests winds are likely tuesday.

post-11361-0-53883200-1315874053_thumb.ppost-11361-0-37920200-1315874208_thumb.g

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

(note - some northern areas are in for another battering from the winds on tuesday, looking at the models i would be a bit concerned actually because we are talking potentially damaging gusts again)