Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia In The UK - Chat Thread 3

Coast

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

well folks I am going to have to go its been great reading other people posts however this was no more than a normal stormy day for my

Neck of the woods sadly the wind didn't quiet reach its potential

for all those still being battered stay safe drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Well what a letdown.

Way below expectations here, nothing more than an average windy day. I drive around the NE for work and have seen nothing to indicate severe weather, no broken fences, uprooted trees or snapped branches, just a few bendy trees and rubbish blowing around.

Oh, I did hear that the Tees Flyover at Middlesbrough had been closed due to the wind but absolutely nothing I wouldn't expect a couple of times a year.

Never mind, here's to a long cold snowy winter (fingers crossed), I just wish the Met Office weren't so damned sensitive about pushing out unneccessary warnings in order to justify their income/super computer !fool.gif

I am with you on the long cold snowy winter cant wait for the first snow fall,if we get it lol.But to be honest i would rather the Metoffice put out warnings and it not come off then if they gave us no warnings and we were not prepared and something awful was too happenhi.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Well we have had a disaster! A little news headline stand has blown over. I spose I am in the south...

Posted

I am with you on the long cold snowy winter cant wait for the first snow fall,if we get it lol.But to be honest i would rather the Metoffice put out warnings and it not come off then if they gave us no warnings and we were not prepared and something awful was too happenhi.gif

Agreed to an extent but I think they are too quick sometimes . There again it could just be the people who post on Netweather.

Reading through some of the posts last night you'd think it was a warning of Apocolypse Now and everything would be flattenned today with death and destruction all around, instead of a fairly ordinary winter-type storm ( I know, it's only Autumn) that has caused minimal travel disruption and probably common inconvenience to a good few people, which is not unusual !!

Edited by snowmackem

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Correction it wasn't the roof of the big tree pub Woodseats that blew off but the top of the tree outside. http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRAMMANN/DSCN1038423.jpg

Posted

Had a break in the weather about an hour ago with even a glimpse of some blue sky. Sky has darkened again and the winds have picked up a little but I would think the worst of it is over. Highest gust at Strathallan was 52mph. Still raining which should add a lot more to the already full rivers locally. Power outages in Ayrshire and Dumfries but expected to be back on again by 10pm.

This has certainly been nothing special for this part of Scotland and as somebody said it got the coverage due to the fact that a named hurricane was its origins. I am sure we will have far worse over the next few months.

I think the main cause of concern here now will be the rain as it is still forecast overnight and into tomorrow. Looking forward to the snow and usual power outages here through the winter but with a new wood burner going in next week I can watch the snow in relative comfort from the window and with a Landy in the drive can at least get to the local shops !!

As you can say I am a new member but can I just say that this has been a very informative site and I have enjoyed reading all the posts with regards to this weather event and hopefully I will be staying around and learning more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Well what a letdown.

Way below expectations here, nothing more than an average windy day. I drive around the NE for work and have seen nothing to indicate severe weather, no broken fences, uprooted trees or snapped branches, just a few bendy trees and rubbish blowing around.

Oh, I did hear that the Tees Flyover at Middlesbrough had been closed due to the wind but absolutely nothing I wouldn't expect a couple of times a year.

Never mind, here's to a long cold snowy winter (fingers crossed), I just wish the Met Office weren't so damned sensitive about pushing out unneccessary warnings in order to justify their income/super computer !fool.gif

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't unknw.gif

It's only a letdown though if you get caught up in all the hype and believe me I know I'm guilty of that sometimes especially when snow is forecast.

So yeah very windy day here, a few branches snapped off trees in the park but nothing major here. Not the end of the day. smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

anyone got a link to find the forum for following maria? finding the main forum page very hard to navigate and find things.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/70934-tropical-storm-maria/page__pid__2129361#entry2129361

Don't worry you'll soon find your way about. Click on Worldwide weather then hurricane watch.

Posted

aye upto now nothing out of the ordinary,but better prepared than sorry.

Yeah, suppose you're right Pete.

Heehee, I'm already looking forward to your withering winter put-downs when confronted with hype/hysteria over a few flakes in the regional thread. Makes me laugh every time but I nearly always agree with you, lol,

Karlrofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

I think I spoke to soon in thinking it was over. House is bouncing, good old howl/roar from the wind too!

Same here Acchos, it has become very lively again in the last hour. Lamp posts are swaying like Friday night drunks....and the house is creaking and groaning again. Just been watching the rooks trying to land in the tall trees behind us - poor things are being blown all over the place and needing several attempts to make contact and stick to the branches.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Although nothing to compare with winter gales today produced just about the strongest wind ( regarding the mean speed ) in September here in the last 30 years although a gale in 1988 and another in 1998 were almost equal and the one in 1998 produced a gust 1 mph higher than today.

To put it into perspective regarding all gales there have been 93 days with stronger winds here since 1996.

A lot of leaves blowing about and a few sticks in the roads but no significant damage to report, then again it seems to take something truly exceptional to cause any damage here. The last time there was any notable tree damage was in January 2007 and the last time there was any significant property damage was January 1990.

The last time there was serious property damage in this area was Feb' 1962; things are built to last around here.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted

Apart from a brief lull around lunchtime, it's been notably windy here all day but not exceptionally so - just about what I was expecting really.

It's also been mostly suny from the afternoon onwards. A lovely sunset here now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

For September this storm beats everything that has gone before, at least since 1973!!!

What About xHurricane Charlie in 1986...???search.gif

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

What About xHurricane Charlie in 1986...???search.gif

August

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Worth baring in mind that I'm some way away from Evesham (50 miles or so)

Just breezy here & occasionally gusty, nothing special whatsoever

Fair enough. With Staff in Lichfield, me and other local reports saying strong winds its surprising you seem to miss out but things like that happen, especially here in this land of nothingness usually. Lol.

Posted

Just you wait for theese terrific storms in the next few weeks... :D

Fair enough. With Staff in Lichfield, me and other local reports saying strong winds its surprising you seem to miss out but things like that happen, especially here in this land of nothingness usually. Lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

It's got me thinking, I wonder if topography has made a difference....Penkridge is actually in a basin, surrounded by higher ground to the North (Wildwood) to the south (the Brimingham Plateau) to the east (Cannock Chase) and to the west (The Wrekin hills)