Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia In The UK - Chat Thread 3

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

Its getting blustery here

Wind 17.7 km/hr SSW - 56.3 km/hr ( 5:59 )

Wind (10min. av.) 16.1 km/hr

Pressure 986.4 mb Rising Slowly

Edited by Red Raven

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I don't mean in general, I mean locally - in south west winds it really is sheltered - the winds will die back a little before it turns west in late afternoon. That said you are more exposed than here so maybe you will get some stronger winds

Yep we are certainly more exposed. Right next to the Mersey. Especially up the hills around here. Probably be gusting to 50mph later in the day. :)

Posted

Extremely windy here in the West of Ireland!! wind has really picked up in the last half hour (we are now on the southern flank of the storm centre). Trees are taken a good battering, leaves flying everywhere.

Posted

I would urge people not to be lulled into a false sense with Katia here.

The winds at gusting pretty high in some areas that were not forecasted i.e the winds are further south than thought.

Aberdaron(wales) sutained winds of 58mph and gusts to 70mph, the forecast by GFS was 35mph, Shap 44mph, forecasted 23mph, the same story in Portland, Rissinglinton in the midlands etc

Both Barra in Scotland and the M4 bouy off Ireland have a pressure of 972mb which indicated a larger and lower centre than that forecasted, we won't really know though until we get some obs from the centre. But the lowest pressure forecast form the NAE for the M$ bouy was 974-975mb

So to recap for me the story so far is winds stronger, particularly in the west and Wales, with the worst still to come, gusts upto nearly 90mph pressure probably lower than thought.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

The winds at gusting pretty high in some areas that were not forecasted i.e the winds are further south than thought.

Aberdaron(wales) sutained winds of 58mph and gusts to 70mph, the forecast by GFS was 35mph, Shap 44mph, forecasted 23mph, the same story in Portland, Rissinglinton in the midlands etc

Both Barra in Scotland and the M4 bouy off Ireland have a pressure of 972mb which indicated a larger and lower centre than that forecasted, we won't really know though until we get some obs from the centre. But the lowest pressure forecast form the NAE for the M$ bouy was 974-975mb

So to recap for me the story so far is winds stronger, particularly in the west and Wales, with the worst still to come, gusts upto nearly 90mph pressure probably lower than thought.

The Beeb forecast last night mentioned strong gusts from Mid Wales into the Midlands upto 70mph then the further north you go the worst the winds will be so they did predict strong winds last night?

Edited by Paul-Michael

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

Morning all, very blowy here this morning. Pressure has dropped to 986mb and we have had gusts of 39mph. I hadn't actually noticed how surrounded by trees our new house is until I heard a load of crab apples dropping off some of them this morning. First bad weather we have had since we moved so fingers crossed the trees all stay where they should!

Posted

0800am rainfall radar makes for interesting viewing, seeing any convection within the system literally being sheared with the winds aloft. http://www.metoffice...ather/uk/radar/ just wait until those upper winds make it to surface level throughout the day, thats when ex-Katia starts to make an impact.

Wind shear not in places you might expect either:

blwindshear.curr.1500lst.d2.png

and really surprisingly for today, Scotland may not get the biggest winds after all:

sfcwind0.curr.1500lst.d2.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

With one reading at 969 its definitely coming in with a lower pressure and as you suggest perhaps a larger centre too.

Posted

The larger centre is what is probably pushing the high winds south atm (still will cross scotland though), I agree that the BBC might have called it right it's more that the models are probably still wrong.

The lowest reading I've found so far is 967mb but there is noway of knowing whether that was coincidence that the bouy passed directly under the centre or the lowest pressure were nearer the 965mb mark.

Posted

The larger centre is what is probably pushing the high winds south atm (still will cross scotland though), I agree that the BBC might have called it right it's more that the models are probably still wrong.

The lowest reading I've found so far is 967mb but there is noway of knowing whether that was coincidence that the bouy passed directly under the centre or the lowest pressure were nearer the 965mb mark.

Yeah you are probably right Iceberg, I can say the winds are starting to gust here already and it's nowhere near the projected time for high winds to start! The local news this morning started with "expect storm forced winds across the region" so it's made the news here as well as the weather. I am expecting some trees down later but as to how bad it gets - well that's anyone's guess!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Become very blustery now here too. Looks like east of the Pennines we could be the hot spot for wind today... as the winds transfer east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

right hubbies off work and supply cupboards are fully stocked, starting to feel a little nervous now...

Posted

Wind shear not in places you might expect either:

blwindshear.curr.1500lst.d2.png

and really surprisingly for today, Scotland may not get the biggest winds after all:

sfcwind0.curr.1500lst.d2.png

Good thing I put large stone slabs on my wheely bins then. Though I must admit it's pretty funny to see them flying down the streetlaugh.png

Posted

Quite gusty here already with Shoreham airport reporting winds at 210° at 26 knots (48 kph) Gusting to 36 knots (67 kph)

http://www.checkwx.com/wxmain/code/EGKA

http://www.shorehamairport.co.uk/webcam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Things starting to pick up here in Fife now. Temp 15.2c, curr wind 20.7mph, gust 39.1mph @ 8.54am, pressure steady @ 981mb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Not windy at all this morning , although the pressure is dropping like a stone , currently at 976.4mb.

Edit , However just to my east near the coast

"A1 Haddington, both ways at A198

A1 East Lothian - Strong winds on A1 in Haddington at Thistly Cross. Approach with care"

Edited by Calum

Posted

right hubbies off work and supply cupboards are fully stocked, starting to feel a little nervous now...

I promise I'l remain in Sussex then! unsure.png

Posted

Become very blustery now here too. Looks like east of the Pennines we could be the hot spot for wind today... as the winds transfer east.

Yes could well be although I think the main area of gusts are projected to be the eastern side of the north Pennines so Durham, Darlington northwards. This is a developing one so nowcasting is going to play a big part in today I think. Saying that the winds are already gale force across Wales so as they transfer you could be in for a treat (if you like gales that is!)

Posted

Yup, the North Pennines particularly at risk. Wonder what it will be like come rush hour in Newcastle!

Edited by Aaron

Posted

it's starting to get a worrying roar about it now

How long you been having these winds for Peter? Just had a pretty strong gust here in Newcastle?

Edited by Paul-Michael

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Ever closer to the mainland on current analysis, pressure 969mb.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

It's just wind, I've actually walked in that 1987 ex hurricane and people are concerned over this?