Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mild Weather

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Its the complete lack of frosts this Autumn that i'm finding most strange. Its unbelievable to think we could make it well into December before i see a single ground frost.

Posted

Its the complete lack of frosts this Autumn that i'm finding most strange. Its unbelievable to think we could make it well into December before i see a single ground frost.

Autumn 2006 and 2009 also saw very little frost, some places had to wait until December for there forst frost in 2009 - so its not that unusual, but the lack of any cold uppers at any stage has been remarkable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Just broke the 'no frosts' club here at last. A very slight one on some roofs and down to 3.2c - the lowest so far this autumn. First time out for the winter coat too - so damn bulky compared to my summer one!

Posted

The chillier morning was quite nice, but 'normal service' looks to be resumed tomorrow onwards.

Posted

Felt incredibly mild this morning when I put the bins out. Check of the weather station revealed 12.6 degC at 0600.

Similar temperatures here around that time, so that extends to two ends of England. Not often we get that consistency at this point in the year is it?

Posted

Absolutely cannot for the euro high to back of over the next few days to make way for more usual conditions for the time of year and hopefully it never comes back to bother us again at least until the spring and beyond. I certainly wouldn't count my chickens on that being the case yet though.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Agreed very odd stats for my area Central Scotland:

2011- October

Avg daily max temp :15.1°C

Avg daily min temp :8.0°C

Growing degrees days :84.5 GDD

Total windrun = 4221.9kts

Frost None

2010 -October

Avg daily max temp :13.7°C

Avg daily min temp :5.8°C

Growing degrees days :56.3 GDD

Total windrun = 3427.6kts

Frost days= 3

November 2011

Avg daily max temp :13.3°C

Avg daily min temp :5.1°C

Growing degrees days :39.0 GDD

Total windrun = 1596.2kts

Frost days= 2

November 2010

Avg daily max temp :8.7°C

Avg daily min temp :0.5°C

Growing degrees days :0.0 GDD

Total windrun = 3104.0kts

Frost days= 14

Posted

Meanwhile, provisional figures suggest the UK could have experienced its second mildest November on record, and its second or third mildest autumn. The average temperature in Scotland for 1-23 November was 8C, which is 3.3C higher than the long-term average, according to the Met Office.

In contrast, last year the average temperature in Scotland for November was 2.8C – which is significantly lower than normal. “We are certainly seeing some quite stark differences from one year to the next,†a Met Office spokesman said.

http://www.scotsman....ekend_1_1986404

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

14c @ 0530 this morning - now that is definitely mild for a late November early morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The temperature contrast between the Novembers of 1993 and 1994 was even starker, with a 5.5C difference in the CET. November 1993 actually began quite mild but became exceptionally cold during the second half with some snow in the east around the 20th-23rd, which stuck around for 7 or 8 days in many parts of eastern Scotland and north-east England. In complete contrast November 1994 was characterised by near-unrelenting warmth with maxima of 10 to 14C, and minima often up in that range as well, the only exception being a brief frosty interlude around the 29th, and thus it ended up as the warmest November on record.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Completely forgot about November 1994.. great comparison.. the following January here gave whopping snowfalls.

Posted

Even though there's still some mild and murky weather around...it looks like we're in for our most interesting week of weather since the last week of September/first week of October.

Personally, I would love one of those very strong cold fronts where it gets stupidly mild just before the front before a sudden squall and plummeting temerpatures...bit like 16th December 2010. (Although one January cold front I witnessed in Ohio was amazing..21C to -2C in 9 hours!)

...I suppose we have a good chance of the squalls this week, and we've already been getting the stupidly mild temperatues...we're just not going to get the plummeting temperatures!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I do like the cold weather......

The recent mild weather throws us back to what we expect of the British Autumn/Winter seasons.

Before '08/'09,mild weather was the norm. It was only on the rare occasion that it got cold,and even then it did not last too long. Well,in the South-West region anyway. I have seen insects flying around on many a Christmas Day,i can tell you.

It looks like the last three cold Autumn/Winter seasons for much of the UK were possibly flukes,all down to the behaviour of the Jet Stream.

Having said that,perhaps the Gulf Stream is slowly losing its strength and capacity,hence the artic conditions of the last three years ?.

It has been said that if that were to happen,Britain would get cold Autumn/Winter seasons.

It is hard to believe now how cold it was this time last year.

Posted

The recent mild weather throws us back to what we expect of the British Autumn/Winter seasons.

Before '08/'09,mild weather was the norm. It was only on the rare occasion that it got cold,and even then it did not last too long. Well,in the South-West region anyway. I have seen insects flying around on many a Christmas Day,i can tell you.

It looks like the last three cold Autumn/Winter seasons for much of the UK were possibly flukes,all down to the behaviour of the Jet Stream.

Having said that,perhaps the Gulf Stream is slowly losing its strength and capacity,hence the artic conditions of the last three years ?.

It has been said that if that were to happen,Britain would get cold Autumn/Winter seasons.

It is hard to believe now how cold it was this time last year.

It snowed on the 2nd dec here last year and can you pop your location in your avater

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

A max of 12.1c so another mild day for the time of year but its quickly dropped to 4.9c so a chilly night in store. Today was my sort of day with a gusty wind but plentiful sunshine so the overnight rain quickly dried out. I really dislike when the dampness hangs around this time of year, even under sunny skies, so i always welcome a brisk drying wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

On course for the 2nd frost of the season here, 0.3C and falling. It is good to see a frost. And the charts at last show something of interest weatherwise. Happy days!

Posted

Skating rinks forced to shut after UK's mild weather causes ice to melt

Britain's unseasonably warm weather is causing outdoor ice rinks to melt.

Rinks at the Westfield Shopping Centre in Stratford, east London, and in Manchester, Tunbridge Wells and Winchester have closed after the ice turned to slush. The meltdown is being made worse by strong winds. Cousins Entertainment, which runs the affected rinks, has had to turn away ice skaters until the weather cools down. Alan Abretti, who runs the company with Dancing On Ice star Robin Cousins, said: ‘This time last year, the country was covered in snow but now we’ve got temperatures of 14C (57F). ‘It’s a nightmare. We’re doing our utmost to get the rinks re-opened but warm weather and high winds are being forecast for the next few days.’ Brian McAteer from Tunbridge Wells Borough Council, Kent, where one of the rinks has been shut, said: ‘It is an act of God – there is absolutely nothing we can do. ‘We are disappointed for customers and doing our best to get things up and running but we’re not sure when that will be.’

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

At least the skating rink in Leeds doesn't arrive until January..!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

What a interesting story, ice rinks outside force to close because of mild weather, who would of thought that a year ago aye!

Posted

At least somebody is doing alright out of the mild weather:

The warmer autumn weather has boosted sales for Kingfisher, the home improvement retailer, which has reported a 13 per cent increase in group operating profits during its third quarter, beating analyst expectations. The owner of DIY chain B&Q said that sales of garden furniture rose 68 per cent in the 13 weeks to October 29, whilst sales of lawnmowers at its French DIY business, Castorama, rose 17 per cent, compared with the same period a year ago.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c2bfce8e-1bef-11e1-9631-00144feabdc0.html?ftcamp=rss#axzz1fIFltQT7

Posted

wasp_hover_sm_wht11.gif Be on your guard in the loft!

Warm weather brings wasp alert

Homeowners are being warned to beware of wasp nests when getting out their Christmas decorations - after mild weather means the stinging insects still think its summer.

With one the of the warmest Novembers on record, worker wasps are still beavering away building and tending to nests, when normally they would have been killed off during frosty weather. Only the queens survive through the winter and normally re-emerge from hibernation in the spring to start a new colony.

But because of the unnaturally warm weather in October and November - the warmest autumn since 1659 - there are still three times the normal number of wasps around, a leading pest control company has warned today (Tue). Paul Bates, the boss of Cleankill Environmental Services, said his workers were being inundated with call outs for wasp infestations in homes. He said that as temperatures have remained nearly 3C above average, worker wasps are 'confused' and have not yet died off in the cold. He said: "There are still lots of worker wasps around and we're being called to an unusually high number of extremely active nests in roof spaces.

"By this time in November we've normally had several hard frosts which kill off the workers leaving only the queens to survive through to the next summer. "What we're seeing now is very rare and we've had three times as many calls to wasps nests this month compared to last year. "I can't remember this many calls in November in the 30-plus years I've been in the pest control business." Mr Bates said that people should beware when retrieving their Christmas decorations from loft-spaces and attics, saying wasp nests - as well as mice and rat nests - could have taken up residence.

http://www.telegraph...wasp-alert.html

Posted

So this is where Nazaneen Ghaffar has been hiding!

November each year is now commonly known as Movember as it's responsible for the men (or women...let's not be sexist!) in our lives who have grown their upper lip hair to sport a moustache for the month with the aim to raise vital funds and awareness for men's health, specifically prostate cancer and other cancers that affect men.

Now in the meteorological world, November 2011 will also be be known as Movember (unofficially of course). 'Why?' I hear you ask. Well because November this year has been the mildest since 1994, and so in my attempt at trying to be witty I have decided it shall now be known as Movember 2011.

So as I said the warmest November (since records began) was back in 1994 with an average temperature of 8.8 degrees celsius. But we were not far off that this year, in fact with a central England temperature of 12.5°C this autumn (September to November) has been the second mildest since records began back in 1659. The record central England temperature for autumn was back in 2006 at 12.6 degrees.

And what a difference a year makes. Around this time last year large parts of eastern England and Scotland were hit with heavy snow with around 10-15 inches recorded in Lincolnshire during the night of November 30th into December 1st. Many places that night were well below freezing with some parts of Scotland as low as minus 10 celsius. This year has been a lot milder with temperatures ranging from zero in Scotland to 10°C in the south of the UK.

So what's in store for the start of this winter? Well as we head into the weekend and for next week as well, it will turn colder will strong winds and frosts. We'll also continue with the unsettled pattern of outbreaks of rain in between dry and sunny periods. Most of the rain will be across north western parts of the UK, where there'll be some snow over the hills in the north and particularly significant snowfall over the Scottish mountains with accumulations at lower levels possible too. Temperature-wise it looks like we'll be below the monthly average, especially in the north. Southern parts will be close to the average but still feeling cold. Eventually temperatures should recover but we'll still suffer cold nights of frost and fog.

So in the mean time, apologies in advance Movember gentlemen, you'll certainly feel the cold on your freshly shaven faces over the next few days!

http://blogs.news.sk...5b-f0bfd25b3690