Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Not Snowed Club 2011-2012

ZONE 51

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Im going for a snowless winter IMBY. With just under 12 weeks to go it could be a good bet.

looks that way south of Stockport under 200m, back to reality after last Dec

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

1971-2000 average met office snow lying days (annual) for towns/cities in the UK:

P.s. if you want your location's, just ask :)

Oxford, please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Oxford, please?

Yes! Oxford Please! Another fellow Oxonian, hope your well enforcer?

Posted

Last snowfall and snow lying 7th Jan, last airfrost 7th Nov (only one this autumn/winter).

2011 thus far:

Snow falling 1, Snow lying 1

Ice days 0

Thunder 4 (overhead 2)

Warmest day: 1st October (2010 was 23rd May- thought summer was Jun/Jul/Aug!)

Number of boring. boring, dull, dry, neither warm nor cold months: at least 6- lost count!

Posted

Yes! Oxford Please! Another fellow Oxonian, hope your well enforcer?

Yes, thanks as well as could be expected. Has it been a good year for ballooning? To avoid outoftopicness, I shall report that lowest temperature of winter 11/12 to date is the one airfrost of -1.6C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

1971-2000 average met office snow lying days (annual) for towns/cities in the UK:

Aberdeen, E Scotland: 16 to 18

Glasgow, W Scotland: 10 to 12 (larger uhi effect)

Edinburgh, E Scotland: 12 to 14

Dundee, E Scotland: 14 to 16

Newcastle, NE England: 12 to 14

Manchester, NW England: 8 to 10

Liverpool, NW England: 6 to 8

Leeds, Yorkshire: 12 to 14

Sheffield, Yorkshire: 12 to 14

Birmingham, Midlands: 10 to 12

Nottingham, Midlands: 8 to 10

Cardiff, Wales: 4 to 6

Swansea, Wales: 4 to 6

Plymouth, SW England: 0 to 2

London, S England: 4 to 6

Reading, S England: 6 to 8

Southampton, S England: 0 to 2

Norwich, E England: 8 to 10

Cambridge, E England: 6 to 8

This means the average amount of snow lying days in a year, is your town beating the average of your area? As you can see, snow lying days are in fact rather rare, and in most cities, a snowless December would in fact be the most likely option!

Way down, no doubt. January was average temperature wise but dry.. high pressure dominated, frosty nights and sunny days.

Still, we did better then elsewhere in England snow wise, even better then the Pennines.

Oh, and it's great to live in the north. If I lived in Southampton or Plymouth I would go mentally insane!!!!!!!

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I have not seen a flake of snow since jan 7th when i had a light covering for a few hours, 11 months is a long time.

In 2010 i had 30 days of lying snow.

2011 a few hours of lying snow and a light covering at that,the snow gods have deserted me this year thats for sure.

Roll on 2012...........................

Posted

Yes, thanks as well as could be expected. Has it been a good year for ballooning? To avoid outoftopicness, I shall report that lowest temperature of winter 11/12 to date is the one airfrost of -1.6C.

That's good then, Yes its been a better year this year, we had a good start in April/May and then June/July were poor, August/September were mixed before a good end to the season in October before a extended period in mild November :) We sometimes fly from The Doghouse Pub, Frilford just outside Abingdon, heard of it?

Back on topic, we usually get at least one decent snowfall in Oxford each winter, February 2008, April 2008, February 2009,January 2010,December 2010. So here's hoping the 2nd half of the winter will be special.

Edited by Mark Neal Ballooning

Posted

Thats good then, Yes its been a better year this year, we had a good start in April/May and then June/July were poor, August/September were mixed before a good end to the season in October before a extended period in mild November :) We sometimes fly from The Doghouse Pub, Frilford just outside Abingdon, heard of it?

Back on topic, we usually get at least one decent snowfall in Oxford each winter, January 2007,February 2008, April 2008, December 2009, January 2010,December 2010. So here's hoping the 2nd half of the winter will be special.

So what's a decent snowfall for you? 3cm, 5cm, 7cm, 10cm, 15cm...

Posted

February 2008- 8cm, February 2009- 16cm, January 2010- 20cm, December 2010- 22cm.

So decent snowfall for us would be something above 15cm, but im always satisfied with anything more than a few cms ;)

Posted

We sometimes fly from The Doghouse Pub, Frilford just outside Abingdon, heard of it?

Back on topic, we usually get at least one decent snowfall in Oxford each winter, February 2008, April 2008, February 2009,January 2010,December 2010. So here's hoping the 2nd half of the winter will be special.

Yes, my sister held her wedding reception there.

Depends. For many years it was a struggle to get even 1cm. If my memory serves me correctly, Jan 2007 - 6cm; Apr 2008 - ? (absent); Feb 2009 - 9cm; Jan 2010 - 18cm; Dec 2010 - 10-12cm.

Posted

Yes, my sister held her wedding reception there.

Depends. For many years it was a struggle to get even 1cm. If my memory serves me correctly, Jan 2007 - 6cm; Apr 2008 - ? (absent); Feb 2009 - 9cm; Jan 2010 - 18cm; Dec 2010 - 10-12cm.

Yes you are fairly unlucky, just 12 miles north-eastwards and we have seen bigger accumulations, i can remember february 2009 the snow just stayed with us, while further south it had stopped- very lucky. December 2010 we had 22cm, the heaviest part of the band stayed above us for 30 minutes- was my finest snowy moment to date :) More of the same this year i hope!

Posted

looks that way south of Stockport under 200m, back to reality after last Dec

Well last December it was cold here, no snow to talk of really, only a slight covering. Jan 6 2010 was better, 8 inches.

Edited by weathe20

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

Sorry just want to show my frustration of no snow in the pipeline for the southern region :(

Posted

Aberdeen, E Scotland: 16 to 18

Glasgow, W Scotland: 10 to 12 (larger uhi effect)

Edinburgh, E Scotland: 12 to 14

Dundee, E Scotland: 14 to 16

Newcastle, NE England: 12 to 14

Manchester, NW England: 8 to 10

Liverpool, NW England: 6 to 8

Leeds, Yorkshire: 12 to 14

Sheffield, Yorkshire: 12 to 14

Birmingham, Midlands: 10 to 12

Nottingham, Midlands: 8 to 10

Cardiff, Wales: 4 to 6

Swansea, Wales: 4 to 6

Plymouth, SW England: 0 to 2

London, S England: 4 to 6

Reading, S England: 6 to 8

Southampton, S England: 0 to 2

Norwich, E England: 8 to 10

Cambridge, E England: 6 to 8

This means the average amount of snow lying days in a year, is your town beating the average of your area? As you can see, snow lying days are in fact rather rare, and in most cities, a snowless December would in fact be the most likely option!

Can I request Watford please Isolated Frost? Thanks. B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

April 08: 5-8CM

Feb 09: 10-12CM

December 09: 15CM

January 10: 8-10CM

December 10: 20-25CM (40CM on south downs!)

So a decent snowfall for me is about 3-5CM, amazing is 10CM+

Despite it being not normal appantly for December to have snow this far south, it is much more strange to have no snowfall whatsoever throughout 2010! which might happen here for the first time since 2002!, last snow was the 21st last year I think. strange because 2010 was the snowiest year i've ever had here, with over 5 days of snow in Jan a few in feb, and around 10 in November/December

Posted

Oxford 5-7 days but over 10 in the nearby chilterns. Bristol 4-6.

Cheers for that Isolated Frost! Sounds about right :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I do like the cold weather......

Were the last three cold Winters that gripped the entire UK one off events. Will Winters in the UK revert back to the mild weather that we are accustomed to now.

I recall a BBC weather forecaster saying last year that cold Winters were a trend we need to get used to,was he wrong with his prediction and outlook.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well last December it was cold here, no snow to talk of really, only a slight covering. Jan 6 2010 was better, 8 inches.

Slightly puzzled at your post. We had quite a decent all overnight 17th/18th which lasted on the ground until 27th, plus another light fall on the 20th that added an extra cm or two. There are pictures to boot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Slightly puzzled at your post. We had quite a decent all overnight 17th/18th which lasted on the ground until 27th, plus another light fall on the 20th that added an extra cm or two. There are pictures to boot.

The snow last December was quite localised really, and for the most part the month was dry if very cold. January 2010 was much better for snow in our region and I would take that over a repeat of last december to be honest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

I honestly don't think December 2010 was particularly snowy, just exceptionally cold. I think January 2010 was much snowier (but not as cold).