Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I was hopeful evaporative cooling would come into play, but there's bugger all on the radar for me at all. Wake up you stupid sea... -.-

As the cooler uppers arrive over the warmish irish see, shower activity should increase.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Temperature rising at 0.6C P/H 5.8C atm. Dewpoint 1.3C, rising.

Nothing on the radar.

Game over.

Dunno what radar your looking at but i see loads after a break. And we always get a good dumping from "nothing". Look at last november and the january before that. We were spoilt by the Irish seas convective charm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees, thunderstorms and heavy snow

??

To be fair, I'm telling the truth, it was always gonna be a non-event for me. As usual really.

Me too :-(

Posted

??

To be fair, I'm telling the truth, it was always gonna be a non-event for me. As usual really.

i know mate we have hail and sleet at the mo but then again we are more inland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Dunno what radar your looking at but i see loads after a break. And we always get a good dumping from "nothing". Look at last november and the january before that. We were spoilt by the Irish seas convective charm.

O.o

Last November I didn't see a flake of snow. It wasn't till mid-December I saw anything. We got a good 10-12 inches but that was it. No more snow for the rest of the Winter.

Posted

I was hopeful evaporative cooling would come into play, but there's bugger all on the radar for me at all. Wake up you stupid sea... -.-

Not till late would I expect the reemergence of showers

Here is doing well though (surprisingly) didn't expect this much shower activity till late.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

As the cooler uppers arrive over the warmish irish see, shower activity should increase.

Uppers have already almost bottomed out. -4.6C over the Irish Sea atm.

i know mate we have hail and sleet at the mo but then again we are more inland

We'd probably be seeing some snow if we can get some good heavy showers. Evaporative cooling would allow the temperature to drop right off.

I see nothing heading for my location on the radar at the mo.

Surprisingly, the Mersey estuary is pepping up the showers. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Temperature rising at 0.6C P/H 5.8C atm. Dewpoint 1.3C, rising.

Nothing on the radar.

Game over.

The night is still young Backtrack, lets just see what happens. I'm not that far away from you and my current temp is 2.6c and dropping at -0.8c /hr, dewpoint 2.1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

I don't thin the NE will benefit because the wind nearly always has a slight northerly element. We really need west to east with a southerly element.

A direct westerly is best for Newcastle. In December 2009 we had a streamer which ran from Haltwhistle-Hexham-Newcastle through that gap in the Pennines, giving us an additional inch of snow.

Places such as Leeds, Newcastle, Middlesborough etc usually only get snow when the wind is between WNW and W rather than between NW and WNW.

So things look okay for me based on that as it has the slight northerly element what alza suggested?

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Temp 0.4C

Dew Point -2.8C

Wind Chill -3.6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

O.o

Last November I didn't see a flake of snow. It wasn't till mid-December I saw anything. We got a good 10-12 inches but that was it. No more snow for the rest of the Winter.

That was it 12" tops thats a foot

Posted

you should be happy you have a chance backtrack :p :smilz38:

Edited by willkani

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

That was it 12" tops thats a foot

7cm was the best i got last year :lol:

Posted

O.o

That can't be right, I live in Runcorn and first dumping of snow I had did fall in late November.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Well the uppers aren't set to get much if any lower than they are currently are -5 to -6c, so unless you live above 200m+ elevation I doubt you will see any lying snow at all. you may see wet snow falling like I did earlier, but that's it.

22 miles inland my mate says it was just heavy sleet and wet snow @ 150m ASL, thats with the uppers having bottomed out.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Temp 1.c dp 0.c, on and off snow, nice to see temperatures dropping despite cloud cover and PPN.

Posted

Sadly your way too close to the Irish Sea, uppers are somewhat marginal even inland but probably by 00z they go the right side, as per usual in coastal areas they stick to the wrong side of marginal. I obviously can't rule out some snow in heavier precip but I wouldn't bank on it.

By the way uppers WILL drop about 2C yet...and importantly dew points are also set to further fall as will temperature, as I said ECM shows NO settling snow before 9pm and little till about 3am.

May not sound like much but those small drops will make the world of difference to people inland.

Posted

Well the uppers aren't set to get much if any lower than they are currently are, so unless you live above 200m+ elevation I doubt you will see any lying snow at all. you may see wet snow falling like I did earlier, but that's it.

22 miles inland my mate says it was just heavy sleet and wet snow @ 150m ASL, thats with the uppers having bottomed out.

850's currently -4, expected to get to -6 from early morning onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Not many showers about in Tyne and Wear/Northumberland at the moment, as per the GFS precipitation predictions.

The latest GFS run suggests that shower activity should pep up across the region during the early hours of tomorrow morning, not dying away significantly until the early hours of Tuesday morning, so some of us may see some snow showers tomorrow and a covering in Cumbria and upland parts of Lancashire, perhaps a dusting in parts of the North East. But we'll have to be patient tonight as the clearer area is sinking slowly southwards now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

850's currently -4, expected to get to -6 from early morning onwards.

They are fine for lying snowfall inland and elevation, way to marignal for low lying coastal regions. -9c to -10c 850's would see snow falling and settling @ sea level with a westerly wind off the Irish Sea.

Lower areas may see falling wet snow but don't expect any accumulations.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Theres a few showers packing into SW Scotland now

Posted

Lower areas may see falling wet snow but don't expect any accumulations.

I think the snow level for accumulations is probably around 150M...it probably decreases a touch the further inland and north you go but thats probably a good guide looking at the models IMO.

Indeed I think the showers are probably a good guide as to where the colder air is, they are probably developing there due to slightly higher lapse rates.

Posted

-5 Wind chill now