Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

A.J

Posted

well reading some of the prevoius posts, I definatley should be seeing some snow again, Cheshire Gap streamers usually catch this area very well, but if some have said there is a more Westerly component to the wind then should still do well as

the showers blow through West to East, all in all should be ok,

never do very well out of direct Northerlies though.

GFS currently shows rain clearing through with uppers from -5 to -8 in my location, could catch back edge snow thursday.

ppn charts show plenty of heavy showers piling in from the West, Liverpool Bay area, with uppers again at -7 to -8,

temps around 2 to 3 on GFS, BUT still plenty to watch for.

:smilz38:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

IB is notoriously pessimistic wrt to snow chances so I wouldn't worry too much there. I think it could be interesting but not signiicant - ie some snow showers but not accumulations (imby!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

well reading some of the prevoius posts, I definatley should be seeing some snow again, Cheshire Gap streamers usually catch this area very well, but if some have said there is a more Westerly component to the wind then should still do well as

the showers blow through West to East, all in all should be ok,

never do very well out of direct Northerlies though.

GFS currently shows rain clearing through with uppers from -5 to -8 in my location, could catch back edge snow thursday.

ppn charts show plenty of heavy showers piling in from the West, Liverpool Bay area, with uppers again at -7 to -8,

temps around 2 to 3 on GFS, BUT still plenty to watch for.

:smilz38:

Yeah, your area looks perfect for Cheshire Gap activity, especially with elevation, feel a repeat of the dreadful 20th Dec 2009 happening, 8 inches for Stockport, not a flake for me, http://wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2009/Rrea00120091220.gif

Posted

If nothing else, we'll get a good view of the anvils to the north in the blue skies.

And we'll get some of that beautiful and crisp winters sunshine. Perfect walking weather.

It won't be grey, it won't be murky and it won't be mild.

Now who wouldn't have taken that last month?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

With respect Mark, but sometimes your weather mood goes up and down more time than a nuns knickers, and with respect again, whilst Ian has a good knowledge of synoptic modelling, it's fair to say that there is often an underlying mild bias to his posts, remember last winter?..they'll be no snow near Stafford?..ring any bells? If memory serves me correctly you were quite vocal in disagreeing with his posts, and you were right!

100% agree. I think Mark with do disrespect you can make things seem a lot more than what it is. How many times have you mentioned washout this year? Dont think its even happened. :lol: But I can see where your frustration comes sometimes but right now I wouldnt have nay for Friday/Saturday right now. Definitely a better chance than yesterday and Sunday I feel.

Posted

Anyone think coventry could have some snow on friday?

welcome to the forum.

10 inches for coventry

;)

Posted

welcome to the forum.

10 inches for coventry

;)

Hahahhahahahahh Be warned, not all forecasts will be based on anything other than a wing and a prayer!! LOLXxx

Posted

Anyone think coventry could have some snow on friday?

I think it's very possible we'll catch a couple of centimetres from this set up, enough to white things over and make it look like christmas :D

The wind will cause drifting too, so there may be snow piled up in places, especially the further north in the region you go.

Staffordshire moorlands could get rather alot imo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

18z fairly similar to previous runs. The Low a little further North but if the upper winds are to be believed that will drive the showers, still a brilliant direction for a Cheshire Gap streamer if it decides to play ball! :)

Posted

I disagree about the Cheshire gap potential. Given that winds blow slightly inwards towards the centre of a depression, the direction showed would send the showers North of us towards the peaks & North Derbys. We really need more of a pure North Westerly, even North West by North to deliver.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Hey morning guys. What r the chance of seeing snow in the centre of birmingham on thursday friday and in to the weekend? Thanks in advance.

Posted

Still an amazing cold zonality this morning, with The Midlands in a very good place for snow.

The dew points and 850's are all fine for snow, excellent in some models, now all we need to do is pray for precipitation.

But there are rather alot of troughs, shortwaves and fronts being show all in diffrenet places by different models..........we shall see!

Anyway, make sure you charge your cameras up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

With respect Mark, but sometimes your weather mood goes up and down more time than a nuns knickers, and with respect again, whilst Ian has a good knowledge of synoptic modelling, it's fair to say that there is often an underlying mild bias to his posts, remember last winter?..they'll be no snow near Stafford?..ring any bells? If memory serves me correctly you were quite vocal in disagreeing with his posts, and you were right!

Aye, Browny is a pessimistic one, not seen him on this thread yet though.

As I said yesterday.. I fully expect Cheshire gap showers to affect some of if not all of these regions at some point on Friday...

Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Rutland, Warwickshire, Staffordshire and probably Birmingham and surrounding areas.

The FAX chart for Friday is now showing a tasty trough along with NW winds.

PPVJ89.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Some interesting debate on this thread re. cheshire gap streamers...It should be noted that overnight for example we had surface and upper winds of a WNW origin which one would expect to take showers away to the far north and east of region, when the eventuality was that we got pummeled by heavy shower after heavy shower blown through from NW Wales

Posted

Aye, Browny is a pessimistic one, not seen him on this thread yet though.

As I said yesterday.. I fully expect Cheshire gap showers to affect some of if not all of these regions at some point on Friday...

Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Rutland, Warwickshire, Staffordshire and probably Birmingham and surrounding areas.

The FAX chart for Friday is now showing a tasty trough along with NW winds.

PPVJ89.png

Hope you are right, but seems to topple too quickly, and westerly winds, Stockport place to be, then going ESE towards Buxton, I feel the majority in this thread are too far south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Struggling to see the westerly flow there Mark TBH, looks bang on NWerly to me..The trough if forecasted correctly will sink SSE pepping up shower activity as it does.....Ok changing the emphasis of attention away from snow potential now to wind potential, the next 36 hours or so are going to see some unusually strong winds as a deep low tracks to the north of Scotland then into the north sea and even in the generally placid Midlands, it would not surprise me to see gusts in excess of 60 mph in exposed places, one to most certainly watch out for

Posted

into deep FI, gfs shows an unusually cold westerly and snow next wednesday, really cant see it being that cold

Today winds look on perfect angle for cheshire gap mind you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
Posted · Hidden by Derbyshire_snow, December 7, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by Derbyshire_snow, December 7, 2011 - No reason given

Picture Taken from Stanedge Edge yesterday on the way back home from Grindleford.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I have to be honest, it doesn't look terribly exciting at the moment but I do think some areas will see some snow on Friday, but only showery and given we have heavy rain moving through tomorrow, I guess the ground will be quite wet? But just seeing a flake would be nice wouldn't it? I'm a bit too far south in the midlands but I think Staffs, North Birmingham and Derbys would be good areas to see more activity than here in Stratford.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Had some beefy Hail Showers here in Dronfield North East Derbyshire today with sleet/snow thrown in for good measure aswell 4 days now with at least wintry precipitation! which is good considering it wasn't long back people were writing this winter off already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I am desperate for some snow on Friday !!!!

Same!

Could be a chance of the snow shield breaking in parts on Friday. Although it's likely to be mostly dry here, Netweather go for a 45% snow risk chance. Met Office also expecting a light snow shower at some point this Friday. :) Yey!