Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 7th December 2011 Onwards

Coast

Posted

have you guys seen the storm watch video ! It takes the worst of it over scotland with the centre much to the north can some one clear this up ?x

Guys don't forget this storm is known as #HurricaneLauren - get it trending on twitter please!!

thats my name lol

Posted

Could anyone give me the highest gust recorded in London area and when? can't find it .Was wondering if it reached more than 1999 in Paris?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

My phone and broadband are down! driving me mad. using my mobile so excuse typos! I was rather shocked to view the gfs charts for next friday.

Last two runs have hurricane force winds over the irish sea! with 70mph sustained winds and 100mph gusts for my location. erm... i don't think so, thankfully it will highly likely be gone come the morning. Stormy week coming up. hope my broadband is fixed soon! grrr...

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Jane Louise, December 10, 2011 - Fed-up with his picky posts just because we like storms.He really shouldn't be in this thread.I'm also noticing it on other parts of forum to!
Hidden by Jane Louise, December 10, 2011 - Fed-up with his picky posts just because we like storms.He really shouldn't be in this thread.I'm also noticing it on other parts of forum to!

really hope we dont get any more bad ones here yesterday was a nightmare x

I hope so as well aggy. But I'm afraid the idiots won't agree. And I suspect I've been in more storms than the rest put together.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I hope so as well aggy. But I'm afraid the idiots won't agree. And I suspect I've been in more storms than the rest put together.

I'm afraid I will have to bite the bullet here and say prepare yourselves. .Not because I wished upon a star, but because main agreement is for a storm on a similar path as before.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Getting a bit worried about this one now, 3 runs in a row its been upgraded. Don't think I've ever seen a gradient this tight

gfs-0-150_eqe8.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

GFS 00z has Tuesday's low further north and the gradient not quite so tight despite a similar central pressure. Southern Scotland and the far north of England would get the strongest winds if this track is correct, elsewhere it would be very windy but nothing as exceptional as the 18z was suggesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

This side-discussion on whether or not one can find killer-weather exciting or thrilling... my tuppence-worth:

Humans are programmed to get a rush from adrenalin, which can be exhilarating and make you feel very alert and alive - that's the purpose of adrenalin, to sharpen up every sense in a situation where one may need every sense to stay alive. I think whether one enjoys the rush pleasurably or whether one gets tense unpleasurably may perhaps depend upon one's level of awareness of potential consequences. And that, in turn, may perhaps depend upon one's previous experience, since at times of adrenalin rush, very little conscious thinking happens, but plenty of unconscious, so a book-learnt awareness may not be present, but an experience-learnt awareness may well be.

But also, even those of us who have learnt-experience may still find extreme weather thrilling. I have a sibling with alocholic liver disease, dying only in their 40s with two children under 21 and two parents over 70, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a drink or three. I know exactly, from learnt-experience, the damage that drinking to excess can do, but I still enjoy a good night out with good pals and a few pints and settling down for a long blether on the single malt.

Humans are full of contradictions. It's one of the things that makes us human.

So I don't think it's feasible to expect all people to not-enjoy the excitement and drama of a building storm coming in, because of how we, as people, are made - but I can understand why some people find it difficult to hear/read of other's pleasure at a great storm.

Sorry, a bit clumsily-phrased, but I hope that may help stop it polarising into two sides and ne'er the twain shall meet!

BleakMidwinter

Posted

Got to agree with that BleakMidwinter. These forums would be very dull if we didn't show enthusiasm for types of weather than can kill or cause hardship: be it snow, ice, heat, fog, heavy rain, lightning, drought, gales, tornados, hurricanes or even sunshine.

Perhaps there should be a seperate thread discussing risks associated with these gales and leave this one for people to get excited by extreme weather without feeling guilty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

There's nothing wrong with liking stormy weather. Liking it or hating it is not gonna change things! Please if anyone is offended by bad weather and excited comments from storm enthuaists, then do create a thread of your own, where you can rant as much as you want. But this thread is purely to discuss any present and future atlantics. Thanks :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Some really interesting lows developing over the Atlantic this week, could we see another 1987 scenario? Certainly the winds in Scotland on Thursday where on a par with it for most and obviously up in the mountains where those 150-160mph gusts where recorded it was much worse, I mean thats as strong as Hurricane Andrew. :excl: We must have had gusts in access of 50-60mph here for a short spell during the evening rush hour there where trees down in Chelmsford which isn't far from mine.

Firstly Monday night into Tuesdays low is 1 to watch with interest over the this weekend with widespread Gales or Severe Gales hinted especially for the south-west although some modules indicate that the north-west is in the firing line again, then there's another deep looking low for Thursday/Friday which actually looks like the most severe of the lot at this stage, GFS has already predicted gusts in access of 60-70mph for the London region on Friday. :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Are the Mon-Tues low and the Thurs-Fri low part of the same 'thing', meteorologically, as Thursday's, or are they completely separate? It's not unknown for Scotland to get gale-force winds, storm-force maybe less common, but it's this three-in-a-week thing that feels unusual.

Or is it kind of weather-hiccups and the low/ high/ low pattern is just a repeating stutter in the pressure?

Jane Louise: aye, aye, cap'n. My father (who paid no attention to the storm at all...) did look at me in an old-fashioned way on Thursday afternoon and said accusingly, "you're enjoying this, aren't you?" to which I could only grin and admit 'yes'!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Jane Louise: aye, aye, cap'n. My father (who paid no attention to the storm at all...) did look at me in an old-fashioned way on Thursday afternoon and said accusingly, "you're enjoying this, aren't you?" to which I could only grin and admit 'yes'!

Lol BleakMidwinter , as you know ,like many other members I do like my thunderstorms,( not that I get any) :lol: and I think common sense prevails regarding bad weather.Some of us do enjoy watching and taking photographs in the safety of our own homes and as long as we are safe I see no reason why we can't enjoy it. :) Anyway, back on topic, It is looking rather wild, and I'm going to be watching it all safetly indoors when it does happen.

Posted

Time for a new thread before all the excitement of next week????

0007.gif

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/71866-atlantic-storms-12th-december-2011-onwards/