Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 7th December 2011 Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

I agree.. yes windy stormy weather can kill... but really... what kills the most.. is them hot heat waves in the summer.. that sun lovers love.. just like some of us like snow and stormy weather.

Good point, i blame climate change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I was surprised we only got 3mm of rain yesterdy. Despite only raining hard for maybe 10 minutes and it drizzling most of the day, i thought we would of had more.

Posted

I don't want to go stoking any fires for next Tuesday (or even Friday!) but the preliminary info points to similar places in the firing line as yesterday, with a little more emphasis further down the country - again the same caveats as my previous post!!!! :lol:

post-6667-0-08665100-1323429281_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-32671100-1323429293_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-65045600-1323429311_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

Why is exactly is it exciting when it put lives at risk?

Isn't mortal danger, one of the things that gets someone excited, on a base, prehistoric level?

Besides, I'm guessing we're all fascinated by weather here, and some of us are as fascinated by extreme weather, as others are by nice warm pleasant summers. Different strokes for different folks.

Met Office have warnings out for the wind for Monday and Tuesday

Western and southern areas of the UK are at greatest risk of very windy weather on Monday evening and during Tuesday which could lead to disruption. At this stage there is a good deal of uncertainty and the public are advised to monitor forecasts over the weekend to keep up to date with this warning.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=4

For,

Northern Ireland

Wales

North West England

West Midlands

London & South East England

Posted

Little birdy tells me Met Office are looking at Tuesday quite closely :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I wouldn't be surprised to see the warning area will either change or expand over the coming days much as it did for the storm we have just experienced, just looking at the latest guidance all areas south of Central Scotland are at risk.

lot's of uncertainty at this range as stated in the warning text.

GFS is progging wind speeds of a similar strength as yesterdays system for West Cumbria.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

What ever you do, don't get excited at next weeks storm potential - you'll get a back lash like I did last night after my innocent comment (although I am sorry if I did offend anyone - that wasn't my aim)

Edited by snow raven

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

What ever you do, don't get excited at next weeks storm potential - you'll get a back lash like I did last night after my innocent comment (although I am sorry if I did offend anyone - that wasn't my aim)

Also, having seen Weather Ship's deleted comment he posted last night - it's probably just as well he deleted it. Vile.

Hey get excited as much as you like,thats what we are all doing on this forum,its interesting weather and also exciting,yes none of us want anyone to be harmed or worse still killed but it wont stop us enjoying whatever the weather throws at us. :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

http://www.metoffice...ings.html?day=4

For,

Northern Ireland

Wales

North West England

West Midlands

London & South East England

Oh no!

If they are issuing warnings/advisories already then confidence in all their model guidance is high. :shok: Its at t+96 or further out currently, but people should begin to take heed of these updates. :acute: The least you or I can do is to inform others of the potential risks at this stage.

Rightly or wrongly like others, I get a buzz from extreme weather, however the above also applies on this occasion. Common sense tells me to keep an eye on the various model runs forthcoming and be prepared for the worst!

Whatever the weather, we have no control over it unless DC and his pals have considered cloud seeding to ease the rainfall deficits.

Personally, I'm liking the trend of the depressions heading further south because it opens the door to better prospects of wintriness.

Regards

gottolovethisweather

Edit: Whoops, I started this posted well before the updates from the ladies, just so folk know. :friends::gathering:Where's the hiding behind the sofa emoticon?

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Little birdy tells me Met Office are looking at Tuesday quite closely :winky:

Do elaborate Coast....

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Do elaborate Coast....

They have put warnings out for Mon/Tue.

Posted

On balance, fans of extreme weather probably save lives. The amount of times I've pre-warned my company, colleagues, friends and family about dangerous weather over the years. If that's multiplied by the amount of posters on this and other forums, then it's fair to say that someone's life has been enhanced by our interest in predicting the weather.

Anyway, do tell Coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Personally I think it's a bit extreme to think being a fan of extreme weather is a bad thing .

People are fans of motosport, boxing, horse racing, football. All of which have unfortunate casualties. Being a fan of extreme weather and wanting it to happen IS NOT the same as wishing death on people. If anything those who are fans of extreme weather are more likely to spot this kind of stuff happening and getting better warnings in place.

Much better to be a fan of the extremities of nature than to be a fan of terrorist extremism.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Met office on the ball with these low pressure systems.

Posted

Well, latest GFS free atmosphere chart for London shows a huge spike for Tuesday, is this really a more Southern version of yesterday brewing?

MU_London_avn.png

Posted

UKMO:

Rukm961.gif

ECMWF

Recm961.gif

GFS offer more time-periods at this range:

Rtavn901.png

Rtavn961.png

A bit too far out to detail windspeed or position, but this is what is currently on offer:

Rtavn1028.png

Then there's Friday to look out for:

Rtavn1621.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Going by what the Met Office are saying the expect the worst winds to be South of the Low centre which will be close to the North of Northern Ireland if this is the case hopefully the North will escape the worst.

:good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Going by the latest charts I would expect to see the warning for Southwest England get taken away over the next few days as the low being shown is again much further north then earlier. Also the isobars don't look as tight for down here.

Edited by wimblettben

Posted

Going by the latest charts I would expect to see the warning for Southwest England get taken away over the next few days as the low being shown is again much further north then earlier. Also the isobars don't look as tight for down here.

That's a big shift to say the least, so I'd be amazed if anything is firmly set in stone right now

Posted

I guess they will firm up things like that nearer the event as the actual location, direction and ferocity become clearer.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Plenty to keep an eye on the coming week. At least nobody should be saying the weather is boring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The current Netweather forecast for me on Monday is Tuesday is no worse than yesterday

Monday

Lowest pressure - 991 mb

Max Pressure - 1010 mb

Max Gust - 52mph

Max Wind Speed - 32.7mph

Tuesday

Lowest pressure - 988 mb

Max Pressure - 997 mb

Max Gust - 45mph

Max Wind Speed - 28.6mph

This was updated at 16:44