Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 7th December 2011 Onwards

Coast

Good post

Sorry to anyone who got caught up in the storms today and had damage to property.

Im not sure what's coming next week! But it's still along way off!

Enjoy the science. I do, but don't wish bad weather on people. Saying an extreme weather event is an incredible act of nature is fine but hoping it happens is immoral I'm sorry I cant agree with you on this. Back on topic just needed to get that off my chest

Distasteful?

It's sad that people die due to adverse weather conditions, but that is inevitable. People on this forum pee their pants at the prospects of snow yet every year when it snows people always die on the roads. It's life, and I find it incredibly hard to feel sorry for every person who dies at the hands of mother nature. If that makes me a bad person, then I guess I am a bad person!

Anyway, back on topic, still breezy here and the pressure is rising rapidly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

What is the point in taking an interest in the weather if you cannot find it exciting once in a while? I guess we will just have to agree to disagree - you think it is immoral to enjoy weather that poses the slightest risk to human life (which, lets face it, most types of weather do) and I do not. :)

Edited by Aaron

We will agree to disagree. I don't post to argue just don't agree with some of what you wrote that's all

What is the point in taking an interest in the weather if you cannot find it exciting once in a while? I guess we will just have to agree to disagree - you think it is immoral to enjoy weather that poses the slightest risk to human life (which, lets face it, most types of weather do) and I do not. :)

Posted

I agree.. yes windy stormy weather can kill... but really... what kills the most.. is them hot heat waves in the summer.. that sun lovers love.. just like some of us like snow and stormy weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

I think a topic on this subject might be a swift option before posts get deducted?

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Yes, extreme weather can kill, but I fail to see how someone wishing for it will change what happens in reality, unless he has a magic genie in a lamp. What saves lives is common sense and preparation for events like today. Accidents will and do happen, weather related or not. Unfortunately that is life. So let us keep this thread upto date mainly with informative information rather than ones preferences. We could save a life.

Winds died down since 6pm here, only the odd moderate gust now. Tuesday could see another potential severe storm and with things still to be 100% verified all the UK are still under the firing line.

A mere 71mph? I'd say that is p retty note worthy.. !

I'd say the two full leaf storms we had this year with gusts of 75mph were noteworthy. 71mph is nothing up here!

Interestingly the NMM 0z on Thurs did seem to take the worst of the winds to the north of the central belt and was proved correct by the resulting gust patterns:

post-2844-0-63014300-1323414619_thumb.pn

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Round 2 next week?

gfs-0-108.png?0

MU_London_avn.png

But this time it's could be further South. A long way to go, but there will be some frenzied model watching this weekend and beyond.

Then it may be round 3! :ph34r:

Posted

Looking at that it's a fair assumption that Tuesday won't be the greatest day for a meeting in Southampton that I'll be flying down to. In the words of Balotelli - "Why always me?"

On yesterday's stormy weather my Aunt had power losses up in Argyle but did get her electric back yesterday evening, which is good news. She lives out in Tarbert on the west coast alone and is in her 70s so we were a bit concerned. She described it as like a Typhoon (she used to live in Hong Kong) and not pleasant but made the day interesting. Bless her.

Posted

It's like a potential conveyor belt of lows for next week and it's going to be compulsive model watching for a few days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Lauren, you will get Hurricane Lauren next week! We will get netweather to get it trending, some very potent storms coming up for the south!!

Speaking of which, I haven't heard the howling sound in 10 years from the wind.

I hope so Robbie.

Mind you it was windy enough to crack and break one of our fence panels. I thought I heard wood split last night, but this morning reveals what it was.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Good agreement for another storm system to cross the UK early next week, slightly further south so most of Scotland would escape the worse apart from the south with much of Northern England, Wales and possible the north Midlands in the firing line. Still a few days away but be aware this is coming and could potentially be round 2 for the same areas!

What a day it was yesterday, real nasty conditions developed late afternoon and for the first part of the night. The max I recorded was 77mph, thankfully only two slates have blown off, garage door really needs attention today the wind blew it in and it's jammed in a strange position.

Posted

Well current GFS trending seems to favour places further down from Scotland:

MU_Aberdeen_avn.png

MU_Manchester_avn.png

Posted

Looking at the data Northern and Central Scotland would escape and Aberdeen is well to the north, any of those charts for Southern Scotland or the borders, Carlisle?

6z would put similar areas to yesterday under threat from more damaging winds, but slightly further south.

Looking very nasty with a huge area of low pressure moving over the UK and seems to become anchored! Prolonged spell of gales/severe gales, this isn't good folks!

post-9615-0-03628200-1323425489_thumb.pn

post-9615-0-90945700-1323425808_thumb.pn

post-9615-0-46478800-1323425816_thumb.pn

post-9615-0-47898700-1323425979_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted

any of those charts for Southern Scotland or the borders, Carlisle?

Nope, UK ones limited to Aberdeen, Manchester and London so only a snapshot of the atmosphere in a particular area I'm afraid

Just a preamble to anything Tuesday brings. I've only got GFS convective charts out to +72 hrs so this is the system coming in from the Atlantic and drawing in some lines that follow the wind direction, this helicity chart becomes interesting...... :unsure:

The caveats here are: yes its only one run, yes its way out, yes it's just GFS and no, I'm not sure what effect the jet stream or other influences may make to it as it comes into the Western approaches of the UK - but it is one to watch

post-6667-0-45601500-1323426818.png

post-6667-0-45601500-1323426818_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I hope so Robbie.

Mind you it was windy enough to crack and break one of our fence panels. I thought I heard wood split last night, but this morning reveals what it was.

It was windy yesterday, 45mph gusts I think. But some potential for something this winter me thinks, we are overdue.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Off all the thousands of people who lost power yesterday, we were quite lucky that ours remained on all night. However, as the peak winds passed at around 8ish in my area (Ayrshire) last night, we got some thunder and lightening, and of all things, it fried our internet hub!

I'm thinking lightening struck a phone line somewhere close by as the flash was visible through the back door and the Hub made a clicking sound as it just blew up. My luck with lightening isn't fairing so good at the moment haha! Between this and the lightening strike last week which I felt... I wonder whats next. :acute:

Posted

Off all the thousands of people who lost power yesterday, we were quite lucky that ours remained on all night. However, as the peak winds passed at around 8ish in my area (Ayrshire) last night, we got some thunder and lightening, and of all things, it fried our internet hub!

I'm thinking lightening struck a phone line somewhere close by as the flash was visible through the back door and the Hub made a clicking sound as it just blew up. My luck with lightening isn't fairing so good at the moment haha! Between this and the lightening strike last week which I felt... I wonder whats next. :acute:

See my post above 416, Northern Britain could be on for another battering looking at the latest GFS!

Posted

Between this and the lightening strike last week which I felt... I wonder whats next. :acute:

Time for some big rubber boots!

lightening.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

It was windy yesterday, 45mph gusts I think. But some potential for something this winter me thinks, we are overdue.

Overdue some good storms too!

Posted

Nope, UK ones limited to Aberdeen, Manchester and London so only a snapshot of the atmosphere in a particular area I'm afraid

Just a preamble to anything Tuesday brings. I've only got GFS convective charts out to +72 hrs so this is the system coming in from the Atlantic and drawing in some lines that follow the wind direction, this helicity chart becomes interesting...... :unsure:

The caveats here are: yes its only one run, yes its way out, yes it's just GFS and no, I'm not sure what effect the jet stream or other influences may make to it as it comes into the Western approaches of the UK - but it is one to watch

post-6667-0-45601500-1323426818.png

This system the GFS is progging moves towards NW Scotland, the cold front will be thrown over the south with gusty winds but the centre of the depression tracks over Northern Britain and becomes stationary for a time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Time for some big rubber boots!

lightening.jpg

Perhaps a gimp suit haha!

In all seriousness though, that was one heck of a storm yesterday. To me, it will be forever known as "Hurricane Bob Agg" (I know it wasn't actually a hurricane).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

Distasteful?

It's sad that people die due to adverse weather conditions, but that is inevitable. People on this forum pee their pants at the prospects of snow yet every year when it snows people always die on the roads. It's life, and I find it incredibly hard to feel sorry for every person who dies at the hands of mother nature. If that makes me a bad person, then I guess I am a bad person!

Anyway, back on topic, still breezy here and the pressure is rising rapidly.

Personally I would be honored to see such a big storm even if it killed me, as long as i got to see it first.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Personally I would be honored to see such a big storm even if it killed me, as long as i got to see it first.

LOL