Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 7th December 2011 Onwards

Coast

Hi everyone been out sweeping the streets around my area today and the last hour or so the wind has really squaled up, it must be gusting 50 perhaps even 60mph here so I dread to think what it's like in Scotland and Northern England :-( All I can say people is stay safe, this is clearly 1 of the biggest storms the UK has seen for a few years if we've only caught the edge of it and even I was getting concerned at being out in it. Is it true that somewhere in Scotland I'm assuming at high altitude recorded 165mph? If so surely that's close to being a UK record, thats on a par with a category 5 hurricane :shok:

Yeah Cairn Gorm Mountain recorded 165mph and very close to the record which is 173mph set on the 20th March 1986.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Meto have delayed the strongest gusts on the latest forecast update for my location, gusts around 80mph @ 9pm

Very very windy here.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Anyone got an ETA of the time the squall is dut to hit North Kent?

I have a nasty feeling it may hit between 7.30pm and 8pm when I will be in an enclosed building with no windows :(

Posted

I believe the squall is due to hit south east coast at around 8:30 or 9pm judging by met office rainfall forecast.

On a side note could anyone please explain the technical reasons for the squall becoming so defined and producing extra strong winds?

A selection of some of the highest winds recorded around the UK on Thursday are:

Cairngorm Summit: 165 mph

Aonach Mor: 145 mph

Tiree: 90 mph

Dunstaffnage: 86 mph

Aberdaron: 81 mph

Church Fenton: 73 mph

Glasgow, Bishopton: 71 mph

Edinburgh, Gogarbank: 69 mph

St Bees Head: 74 mph

Mumbles Head: 62 mph

Above by the Met Office.

Edited by weathermaster

Posted

The squall line struck south Nottingham about 3.10 pm earlier. Never been caught outside in anything quite like it before. Talk about scary. Very scary trying to drive to collect kids from school in it especially with a lot of old folk trying to drive out of supermarket carpark. Unbelievable heavy rain and very gusty winds. So pleased I was in the car. If it hits you later in the south east stay indoors.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Just for anyone who doesn't know the site (most of you will do) http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Sustained winds of 59mph at Leuchars, East Scotland, gusting 76mph. From memory, I think on that's Severe Gale force, and not far off storm force!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.
Posted · Hidden by Flipflop, December 8, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by Flipflop, December 8, 2011 - No reason given

Chris Johnson and David Edwards are streaming live from Sunderland area for http://ukstormscapes.net

http://ukstormscapes.net/live.html

Has anyone got any information about this, potential other storms coming on the 14th and 18th? When I was in a field taking my dog a walk, it's on top of a hill which is roughly 120m above the Firth of Forth. I'm positive there were gusts over 100mph, when inside the housing area gusts felt around 60mph max.

pre_1323366481__untitled-8.png

Edited by Josh Gaffney

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

I heard about that Wind turbine incident earlier today, can't believe it blew up lol! Irony. 1-0 to Hurricane BobAgg.

Was driving around Ayrshire this afternoon. A few Lorries blown over in front of me, loads of debris across all the roads. The last few hours have seen the strongest sustained winds of the day so far across Ayrshire. Gusts well in excess of 70-80mph. Was in Prestwick during a very large wind surge which brought large hail stones.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

There's a sequence of 24 pics of that turbine, from spark to charred remnant, here http://www.flickr.com/photos/md93/6477415019/in/set-72157628334022703/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

The squall just passed here, heavy rain at 60mm/hr and winds gusting to 50mph. Temperature beginning to plummet aswell, dropped from 11.6c to 7.8C in the space of 5 minutes.

Posted

Well pretty 'squally' here in Surbiton right now, strong winds and heavy rain hitting the windows; pretty noisy too. Basketball stand shivering resolutely in the wind!

Posted

Good squall here. Hail and torrential rain, wind is rattling the back door. Wish it wasn't dark.

Posted

Chris Johnson and David Edwards are streaming live from Sunderland area for http://ukstormscapes.net

http://ukstormscapes.net/live.html

Is anyone else watching this link ? Its an embaressment to storm chasing to be honest. Sorry but it has to be said. Quite apart from anything else they're a danger to themselves and other road users.

Walking up and down the middle of an unlit road in bad weather with traffic at a standstill on their side, and passing them inches away in the other direction. Two of them in dark clothing from head to toe. Sheeeesh.

Edited by Bluebreezer54

Posted

Squall came through after dark here in Corscombe outside Yeovil around 1820. Drove up the top of Tollar Down ridge behind us and watched it come through (pic 1 - getting wet as it hit!). On the tail end of the line as it was illuminated by the streetlights of Yeovil was whats in pic 2. Sorry for the lockness-like vague image but it was after dark. It looked like either a wall cloud or maybe even a funnel?

Either way was a great experience :)

post-15403-0-26059500-1323372544_thumb.j

post-15403-0-86411400-1323372560_thumb.j