Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 7th December 2011 Onwards

Coast

Posted

Please continue the general discussion on the upcoming Atlantic Storm(s) and how they might, or are, affecting us.

k010.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Perhaps the wrong thread really, but as a consequence of the forecast storm, the MetO have issued this now.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/coldweatheralert/

What's going on?

Surely the storm is not tracking on a more southerly trajectory? The latest satellite image sequence from http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html appears to show the depression on a track further south!

Maybe its just me, let's hope so, us southerners couldn't cope with a mega storm.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted

our local weather woman reckons we will get gusts of upto 85mph by around lunchtime tomorrow coming from the SW before easing down for a bit by dinner time as the centre passes over us and then it will quickly turn northerly and possibility of gusts reaching 100mph until around midnight and then wind changes to NW and gusts still over 80mph and easing down slowly during friday! so why havent the met got a red warning for us in the far north?

Posted

What's going on?

I guess this qualifies why they have been waiting until as late as possible to make further announcements, maybe things are taking a different turn and are far from nailed?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I guess this qualifies why they have been waiting until as late as possible to make further announcements, maybe things are taking a different turn and are far from nailed?

Yes indeed, they certainly aren't hiding away from the seriousness of the situation. :help: Definitely a WATCH, WAIT AND SEE development.

Part of me wants to see something worthwhile down in my neck of the woods and part of me doesn't. :80:

I'm also pinning my hopes on an increasing likelihood on one of those rare channel lows, come next weekend and beyond for us snow starved folk down south.

Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Weather warnings updated on the met office home page. We out of the very nasty area at the moment but any slight shift northwards or southwards of the low track will make a difference. Then after the spin dry it's a deep freeze with some blizzards around.

Posted

GFS always had the low going southeastwards, so little surprise from me that a change in track so early on in its RACY development will have a pronounced effect on just how far southeastwards the track takes it across the UK. A shift even 50 miles then puts the NorthWest into the forecast of 100+mph gusts.

Here's the direction of the jet currently http://www.turbulenceforecast.com/maps/atlantic_turbulence_18.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Glasgow city council has announced it has suspended festive events in the city centre tomorrow.

Posted

Looking at the latest gust chart for 1200 tomorrow I would say the low is between Tiree and Stornaway and pretty near the latter.

Edited by weather ship

Posted

Luckily no major sporting fixtures on tomorrow, but looking at the listings Newcastle Falcons are at home tomorrow against RC Toulonnais. The game starts just when the strongest winds are due overhead so it'll be interesting to see what happens there at Kingston Park.

Posted

hi guys, im still learning as i go and would like someones views on when the storm will hit west scotland and will it dip away then winds pick up again when it changes direction. any help would be much appriciated x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

Perhaps the wrong thread really, but as a consequence of the forecast storm, the MetO have issued this now.

http://www.metoffice...ldweatheralert/

What's going on?

Surely the storm is not tracking on a more southerly trajectory? The latest satellite image sequence from http://www.yr.no/sat..._animasjon.html appears to show the depression on a track further south!

Maybe its just me, let's hope so, us southerners couldn't cope with a mega storm.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

I really hope so! Brighton by the sea could use a good storm! Hey you northerners send this down south when you've had your fun heh?! P.s. Brighton is South of London if you can imagine such a thing!

Posted

hi guys, im still learning as i go and would like someones views on when the storm will hit west scotland and will it dip away then winds pick up again when it changes direction. any help would be much appriciated x

Well in your neck of the woods if things go to plan (and they have a tendency not to) you will get severe winds from the SW until at least the afternoon and then they should slowly veer to the WNW and decrease to about 35mph by 00 Friday. This is not written in stone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House

I really hope so! Brighton by the sea could use a good storm! Hey you northerners send this down south when you've had your fun heh?! P.s. Brighton is South of London if you can imagine such a thing!

You can have it!

Posted

Is there no chance of snow in the east as the low passes through? GFS briefly leaves us with a N/NNW flow on Friday. Uppers look cold enough at -8 with a dam of 518. Surely the strength of the wind would produce convective showers into some extreme eastern locations for a time. Of course this set up would increase the risk of coastal flooding too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Is there no chance of snow in the east as the low passes through? GFS briefly leaves us with a N/NNW flow on Friday. Uppers look cold enough at -8 with a dam of 518. Surely the strength of the wind would produce convective showers into some extreme eastern locations for a time. Of course this set up would increase the risk of coastal flooding too.

Snow in Scarborough? Probably not.. who knows though, depends on how far the precipitation goes inland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A look at the storm 30hrs from now, GEM, UKMO and GFS with excellent agreement.

Northern Ireland, Scotland and Northern England in line for a very serious event tomorrow, just spoke to my mum and her works Xmas party has been cancelled which was due to start about 6pm Thursday.

Looking at the XC wind map chart, 60-70mph sustained winds smashing into SW Scotland and NW England tomorrow evening.

post-9615-0-21079500-1323281081_thumb.pn

post-9615-0-31959300-1323281093_thumb.pn

post-9615-0-33600800-1323281125_thumb.gi

post-9615-0-23638400-1323281466_thumb.gi

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Snow in Scarborough? Probably not.. who knows though, depends on how far the precipitation goes inland

I was thinking more of convective showers from the North Sea rather than from the west. This chart shows a more NNW which has produced showers here plenty of times before.

h850t850eu.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

A look at the storm 30hrs from now, GEM, UKMO and GFS with excellent agreement.

Northern Ireland, Scotland and Northern England in line for a very serious event tomorrow, just spoke to my mum and her works Xmas party has been cancelled which was due to start about 6pm Thursday.

Quite an event I would say and not just for the NW this time! Be safe People this could be newsworthy!!

Posted

Good to see the public are starting to sit up and take notice of this coming event, the BBC weather at 7.30pm was a little held-back in terms of localised gust expectations, but you could tell John Hammond is confident with every run as his eye lit like a beam with the mention of blizzards and 90mph gusts for NE Scotland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Good to see the public are starting to sit up and take notice of this coming event, the BBC weather at 7.30pm was a little held-back in terms of localised gust expectations, but you could tell John Hammond is confident with every run as his eye lit like a beam with the mention of blizzards and 90mph gusts for NE Scotland.

7.30pm weather???? its only 6.15 now lol.

Posted

Tomorrow is also the 125th anniversary of the 1886 storm (lowest pressure reading recorded for the UK)

http://forum.netweat...n-modern-times/

lol, 5.30pm Weather Forecast..sleep deprivation playing tricks again.

Edited by SNOW_JOKE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Tomorrow is also the 125th anniversary of the 1886 storm (lowest pressure reading recorded for the UK)

http://forum.netweat...n-modern-times/

lol, 5.30pm Weather Forecast..sleep deprivation playing tricks again.

Lol maybe catch up on sleep tonight before tomorrow hits :drinks: