Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 7th December 2011 Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

yeah but they are saying 29mph gusts here,meto are saying 60mph ,big difference,who will be right???

Netweather says up to 60mph gusts Brighton (coastal) and i would go with that. Obviously more if your up North near the coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

tomorrow will be interesting.

Look forward to your updates - be safe on the front line !

This link is excellent for toying with the satellite work, thanks to M hugo.

http://www.eumetrain.org/eport/euro_18.php?width=1280&height=1024&date=2011120718

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I am wondering, if anything will hit the south. Tomorrow is a tad windy down south but I am wondering if this Busy Atlantic Winter will bring us anything down south.

Whilst fantasy Island, this is probably one to watch as it looks to affect the south.

airpressure.png

384978_10150404666758341_735173340_8419279_972384582_n.jpg

ukprec.png

hgt300.png

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Looking at the t+00 fax for 18z this evening and the t+24 fax for 18z Thursday - there's almost a 40mb drop in pressure within 24hours (992mb - 956mb), this is very rapid deepening!

post-1052-0-54889800-1323302246_thumb.pn

post-1052-0-41439000-1323302255_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I am wondering, if anything will hit the south. Tomorrow is a tad windy down south but I am wondering if this Busy Atlantic Winter will bring us anything down south.

Whilst fantasy Island, this is probably one to watch as it looks to affect the south.

Thats over a week off, very likely to change. I would also like to see some more unsettled weather down in the South, mostly for some precipitation as for many it has been a very dry autumn and here in Oxfordshire it has been no exception! :nonono:

Edited by Mark Neal Ballooning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

That's kind of surprising..!

Posted

Wow, even making breaking news on bbc 2 just now :-0

better now then never.. even if its a bit late. when most people are asleep

Edited by lfcdude

Posted

Well I had a few hours kip, up and ready awaiting what happens in the coming 12 hours.

So much to look out for weather-wise, the RACY itself, Storm Surge, Blizzards, Cold Front convection, temperature gradient, 100+mph winds for a huge swathe of northern areas. And that's assuming the system doesn't throw any surprises in the works aswell.

The RACY looking quite well on the NOAA feed

http://en.allmetsat.com/images/noaa_nsbern_n1b800.php

Posted

Is anything likely to hit the SW of England as local forecasts didn't really mention anything apart from some wind and rain but didn't give a lot of info so thought I'd ask here.

Posted

whats breaking the news?

Schools advised to shut.. in parts of Scotland... even tho someone posted on here hours ago.. that there will be half days.. if im not mistaken.. bbc bit slow..

Is anything likely to hit the SW of England as local forecasts didn't really mention anything apart from some wind and rain but didn't give a lot of info so thought I'd ask here.

You not see ians forecast on points west earlier? just bit of rain and gusts between 50 and 60.. but he made a point of talking about scotland..

Edited by lfcdude

Posted

I think the charts and discussion pretty much tell you the answer to your question. It's hidden in your post as well. :winky:

Posted

Todays haha :D Batten down your fricking chuffing hatchets!!!!!!!

CNN isnt that america wow, thats big!

isit? sweet wonder what the yanks are saying... putting it on now... anyone from south west drive? fancy some petty money? lets go see some winds :D

Posted

Well I had a few hours kip, up and ready awaiting what happens in the coming 12 hours.

So much to look out for weather-wise, the RACY itself, Storm Surge, Blizzards, Cold Front convection, temperature gradient, 100+mph winds for a huge swathe of northern areas. And that's assuming the system doesn't throw any surprises in the works aswell.

The RACY looking quite well on the NOAA feed

http://en.allmetsat.com/images/noaa_nsbern_n1b800.php

Oh my, u r excited lol. Enjoy :-)

Oh yes, todaya haha

CNN talking about wind speeds and possible airport closures/delays

Edited by jo200199

Posted

Interesting temperature contrast behind the Cold Front later on this evening. 14'c in the channel with Scotland barely above 1'c - 2'c

post-8763-0-96878300-1323305656_thumb.jp

Posted

isit? sweet wonder what the yanks are saying... putting it on now... anyone from south west drive? fancy some petty money? lets go see some winds :D

I can't drive, but if you get a lift, could you pick me up on the way please? Haha

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/westhighland/westhighland_latest_pressure.html

Blizzards: Heavy snow and gale force south or southeast winds in the morning above 300m leading to blizzards.

Storm force winds: Winds of around 100mph possible over ridges and summits, particularly Argyll and the Trossachs.

Severe chill effect: In storm to hurricane force winds.

Wind Chill is expected to be around -14'c with the strongest winds (100mph) as they make it to ground level in Scotland. Anyone venturing into the mountains seeking 'adventure' in all this had better start making their last rites, but I don't think anyone is that stupid to be climbing Munroes today in this kind of weather. More or less the same weather extremities to be expected around the Lake District aswell.