Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 7th December 2011 Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

18z GFS same as the 12z with the track of the storm, severe gales battering northern and western Britain from the word go in the morning, increasing to storm force over N Ireland, Scotland And N England after midday. Get ready folks!

Yes I am battening down the hatches as we speak Liam, to be honest I half expected downgrades but this doesn't seem to be the case! Lets see what actually happens in the end!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Yes I am battening down the hatches as we speak Liam, to be honest I half expected downgrades but this doesn't seem to be the case! Lets see what actually happens in the end!

I think that's wise Paul! A GFS super storm which never makes it out of FI.... just did!

Rush hour tomorrow is going to be treacherous from Northern England northards! 18z GFS isotach mean wind km/h, insanely tight isobars and these are plotted every two mb.

post-9615-0-81863100-1323295665_thumb.gi

Edited by Liam J

Posted

I think that's wise Paul! A GFS super storm which never makes it out of FI.... just did!

Rush hour tomorrow is going to be treacherous from Northern England northards! 18z GFS isotach mean wind km/h

Are those gusts? some 100mph+?!!!!

Could be some major damage tomorrow, I wouldn't be overtaking any highsided vehicles tomorrow that's for sure.

Posted

Are those gusts? some 100mph+?!!!!

Could be some major damage tomorrow, I wouldn't be overtaking any highsided vehicles tomorrow that's for sure.

They are the mean speeds in Km/h!! mean speeds of 60-70mph over Scotland, Northern England and Northern Ireland.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

This might seem like a silly question, but anyone like to describe how the isle of man will fair out of this?

Love extreme weather but this looks a tad dangerous!

Posted

This might seem like a silly question, but anyone like to describe how the isle of man will fair out of this?

I'm a former Manxman myself.

The North and West of the Island will be extremely stormy. Peel will be taking a battering. Still stormy in the south west including Douglas and Castletown but they will be sheltered a wee but from the worst.

If you want to experience the worst get up to Jurby head, wouldn't be surprised to see a 100mph gust there.

Posted

The SE part of the Island will be more sheltered as the winds will be westerly at the strongest. 80-90mph gusts possible on the north side perhaps isolated 100mph gusts.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

40 miles per hour and above sustained winds.. that's something I haven't seen since March.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Just looked at a WV image and there is a very dark area to the rear of the low.. indicates dry rapidly descending air which may lead to a sting jet scenario.

Good write-up on such a scenario here:

http://www.eots.co.u...bomb/bomb01.htm

Great find Jim - well worth the read. Dry air all over the latest satellite pic - we have a RACY bomb.

Posted

I'm a former Manxman myself.

The North and West of the Island will be extremely stormy. Peel will be taking a battering. Still stormy in the south west including Douglas and Castletown but they will be sheltered a wee but from the worst.

If you want to experience the worst get up to Jurby head, wouldn't be surprised to see a 100mph gust there.

I'm what the locals would refer to as 'a comeover'! However I have lived here for 20 years now!

I'm in Douglas so a trip to jurby might be a tad risky if I planned on making it home :) Thanks for replying-always good to hear from fellow manxies!

Posted

BBC national weather have just down played the winds now on the 10.35 broadcast saying 70mph+ instead of the 80mph+ they had over Southern Scotland in earlier broadcasts.

Meanwhile my local ITV forecast just ramped this event up, gusts in excess of 80mph affecting D & G and West Cumbria tomorrow afternoon.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Our local BBC weather have widespread mean wind speeds in excess of 40mph with the odd gust in excess of 80mph

Posted

Our local BBC weather mentioned up to 80mph+ in the north and 60 - 70 inland further south. She seemed quite concerned and mention possible property damage and damage to trees etc. Looks bad for tomorrow

Posted

The SE part of the Island will be more sheltered as the winds will be westerly at the strongest. 80-90mph gusts possible on the north side perhaps isolated 100mph gusts.

I did think that the SE would be quietest, tbh though I think this will be an event to remember! Not normal that the island can expect to receive some of the same kind of weather as the rest of the NW-we normally get rain when you get lovely snow!

Here's hoping that the showers that come after will produce some decent snowfall

Posted

Metcheck updated the earlier watch to severe weather warning status

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/warnings.asp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

yeah but they are saying 29mph gusts here,meto are saying 60mph ,big difference,who will be right???

Posted

Bombogenesis is my new favorite word my OH is a pilot and he hasn't heard of that !!!! ha ha

Also it's wheelie bin day tomorrow always clashes with wind must be a thursday thing.

Posted

Metcheck updated the earlier watch to severe weather warning status

http://www.metcheck....EE/warnings.asp

Surprised North East is not under a high risk..