Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 7th December 2011 Onwards

Coast

Posted

Ship report near 57N 11W was 78 knots sustained at 10z .. ship position had not changed from 09z when 66 knots. May indicate ship is in distress, but wind report is the main item.

Satellite imagery indicates low has begun to shift more to a due east track after rapid deepening phase. Would certainly take all of these as indications of possible 90-100 knot gusts to come in central Scotland. Severe damage possible in places, would take cover soon if exposed to west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Pressure 996.2 and falling rapidly

Posted

Scotland in lockdown as huge storm sweeps in

GLASGOW — Scotland has closed schools and travellers have been warned to expect disruption on key routes on Thursday due to gale-force winds, as Britain's first major winter storm of the season sweeps in. Schools in western, central and southern Scotland are closed after forecasters issued a "red alert" and warned of winds of up 100 miles per hour (160 kilometres per hour).

Police are warning that the strong winds will make conditions on the roads treacherous and have said they may advise against all travel as the day wears on. "By travelling, motorists may be putting themselves at serious risk, such is the severity of the forecast conditions," said police chief constable Allan Moffatt. The storm swept into western Scotland early Thursday, hitting Glasgow. The gales are expected to spread across the country and be at their strongest between 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm, according to the Met Office.

Some snow is expected to fall but it will quickly be followed by heavy rain and stormy conditions, said the forecaster. Although Scotland is set to bear the brunt of the bad weather, strong winds are also expected in parts of England.

http://www.google.co...984d308eeeb.101

Ship report near 57N 11W was 78 knots sustained at 10z .. ship position had not changed from 09z when 66 knots. May indicate ship is in distress, but wind report is the main item.

http://www.ndbc.noaa...&uom=E&dist=250

On the map that is here:

post-6667-0-42079100-1323342422.jpg

So the timing of maximum gusts reaching land (at between 15.00 hrs and 18.00 hrs) are about right

post-6667-0-42079100-1323342422_thumb.jp

Posted

Satellite imagery indicates low has begun to shift more to a due east track after rapid deepening phase. Would certainly take all of these as indications of possible 90-100 knot gusts to come in central Scotland. Severe damage possible in places, would take cover soon if exposed to west.

It's probably just nose into wind and trying to ride it out. Quite what it's doing out there tho considering the forecast has been horrendous for 3 days is another question.

Edited by shedhead

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Rather pathetic cold front just passed!

Wind continues to increase, expecting the strongest winds from 3-9pm.

Hope you guys above the border are safe!

Updated Meto warnings still has my location well into the Amber warning with 70-80mph gusts, south Cumbria into a Yellow warning now and perhaps St Bees weather station may just be a little to far south to record the very strongest winds? Becoming very stormy here now as the wind is veering WSW

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Updated Chief Forecaster's Assessment from the MetO:

A rapidly deepening area of low pressure is moving towards Scotland during Thursday. Gusts of 60 to 70 mph likely to become quite widespread across northern and central Britain, but 70 to 80 mph within the Amber region. Gusts of more than 100 mph are likely in exposed places, particularly central Scotland.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Nice and quiet here so far max gust 49 mph. Cold front has got more active as it approaches this area.

Posted

Its a way off yet but the latest Windguru forecast for next week here in Dorset says 80mph wind speeds and ive never seen windguru forecast wind speeds of that high before! - Windguru is very reliable but being 7 days away this is likely to change but worth noting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Can someone with better access than me, update the folk of scotland when the sting jet is due to pass and where?

and please could someone with better meteorological understanding than me, explain what on earth (or off earth) a "sting jet" is?

It sounds like something from Thunderbirds, but I'm guessing not... it sounds as if i'm about to have it hit my home in a few hours and I'd quite like to understand what's going on...

Posted

that must be the eye making its way over me. Bright, sunny, blue sky overhead, wind dropped to next to nothing and rain off. Local barometer says 968mb and falling and says in last 12 hours dropped -35 mb. Big bank of cloud to the SE of me moving out to sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

and please could someone with better meteorological understanding than me, explain what on earth (or off earth) a "sting jet" is?

It sounds like something from Thunderbirds, but I'm guessing not... it sounds as if i'm about to have it hit my home in a few hours and I'd quite like to understand what's going on...

Not sure if its on here but it can evidently be seen on satellite pics and indicates an area of much more severe winds.

Try this link http://www.eots.co.u...bomb/bomb01.htm

This is better, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sting_jet

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Thankyou, gottolovethisweather. and wow, that is written by someone who really understands how to write clearly and steadily. I think I understood the lot!

...and now i wish I hadn't! :-) A jet stream's basically going to land on us this in the next few hours, eh? Oh well, I'll get the soup warming, then...

Posted

http://www.google.co...984d308eeeb.101

http://www.ndbc.noaa...&uom=E&dist=250

On the map that is here:

post-6667-0-42079100-1323342422.jpg

So the timing of maximum gusts reaching land (at between 15.00 hrs and 18.00 hrs) are about right

I saw a sar helicopter on scene on ship radar but the ships in that area keep disappearing off radar helicopter was defo shown as SAR and details said doing 137NTS which must mean flying with the wind although perhaps thats normal speed for sar helicopters

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Graham from weather events is on his way to the Ayrshire coast to stream live - follow him here:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=weatherevents;sess=

Do we know when he will be up and running paul as im just getting adverts at the moment?

Posted

It's already up and running - no issues here. Although he just reported one of his internet connections is on the blink so it may be a bit patchy at times.

Posted

It's already up and running - no issues here. Although he just reported one of his internet connections is on the blink so it may be a bit patchy at times.

I have been following it for the last hour or so, excellent quality and its great to be able to follow it in this way. Thanks to everyone involved. He is heading to Anstruther.

Lloydyd. The link opens up with an ad but then quickly goes live.

Posted

Working well here. Are the roads normally that quiet or are people heeding the warnings?