Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 7th December 2011 Onwards

Coast

Hello from the stormy western isles,

So far its been an amazing morning weather wise I saw the heaviest shower I've ever seen with winds over 70mph at the time with some thunder as well.

Wind is continuing to get stronger.

Hmm but the locals don't think much shops are open and one of my neighbours are getting new windows put in :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I am most dissapointed thisd thread was not called Storm Lauren :(

But seriously, keep safe folks, it's gonna be a bad one.

Posted

Carol kirkwood on N24... 109mph with some height in W scotland 15 mins ago. Didn't say how high up though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Hello from the stormy western isles,

So far its been an amazing morning weather wise I saw the heaviest shower I've ever seen with winds over 70mph at the time with some thunder as well.

Wind is continuing to get stronger.

Hmm but the locals don't think much shops are open and one of my neighbours are getting new windows put in :rofl:

Whilst it's not quite as bad in Cork, I can see some welding going on on the rough across from my apartment. As ridiculous as that is, I'd love to be up there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Carol kirkwood on N24... 109mph with some height in W scotland 15 mins ago. Didn't say how high up though.

And given, as far as I'm aware, the worst is expected later today, isn't that a little worrying ?

Edited by Pennine Ten Foot Drifts

Posted

And given, as far as I'm aware, the worst is expected later today, isn't that a little worrying ?

Bloody scary... Just had a out of the blue 51 mph gust here, just rescued the wheelie bin from up the road. Why o why do these storm events always occur on bin collection day. This happened in the jan storm in 2007, my bin went over then and it was full. We had thrown a large out of date watermelon in it (one of those big green muthas with yellow stripes) It bounded off up the road and I never saw it again!

Edited by Richie V

Posted

Its not even here yet! Rains going sideways, and its LASHING down. Tis quite something to watch it race along the hill outside in blankets! Water can barely reach the drain out in the garden, its getting blown back from it!

And now its gone clear apart from looking west. Never seen CB's move THAT fast in my life!

Edited by acchos

Posted

LMAO weathermaster! Bloomin hard lot oot there! "Och it's jist a wee bitty of a breeze oot e day."

meto had me for 90mph at 21:00 tonight. It's jumped down to 88mph now. Thinking it may go back up yet before it hits though. Raining and breezy here the now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Gusting to 50mph here

LMAO weathermaster! Bloomin hard lot oot there! "Och it's jist a wee bitty of a breeze oot e day."

meto had me for 90mph at 21:00 tonight. It's jumped down to 88mph now. Thinking it may go back up yet before it hits though. Raining and breezy here the now.

Yeah we get a lot of windy weather so were used to it. Met Office had 105mph gusts for me last night! But now its been pushed down to 96mph gusts.

Still stormy here the waves are getting bigger in the bay and its hard to tell if its raining or the spray coming off the sea. The wind has changed direction in the last few minutes and thankfully I'm more sheltered from this direction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Gusting 60-70mph inland over Northern Ireland, Belfast for example 69mph which is nearly double the progged wind speed for that area. I imagine it's causing lots of problems there atm with 90mph gusts recorded on the exposed north coast.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Location: Crocketford nr Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway 124m a.s.l
  • Location: Crocketford nr Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway 124m a.s.l

Gust of 68mph at Portpatrick at 10:01.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Really picking up here now, clouds are streaming past at a rate of knots, am on the flight path here and aircraft taking a sharp turn away from the incoming storm.

Trees getting rattled and debris in the air in places.

Wouldn't like to be flying today !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Neither would I.. Leeds Bradford airport (the highest airport in the UK) is probably going to be closed, for the millionth time this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House

Up high on a west facing hill in Ayrshire here and its getting outrageous .. I think I'll just climb into a cupboard with my ipod up loud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

107mph Aonach Mor

103mph Glen Ogle

Top gusts so far according to http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/

All this before the sting jet comes across. :help:

People, only go out unless you absolutely have to, I would say is the best advice currently for exposed parts of Ireland and Scotland.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Very strong jet streak over N England and S Scotland, any chance these winds could reach the surface as very powerful gusts?

post-9615-0-14249200-1323340240_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Sounds nasty up in Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Islands inbetween. Stay safe everyone up there.

Here in East Leeds it's just raining and a little breezy as can be seen on my old webcam. I suspect it's going to get worse later this afternoon.

Posted

PowerNI, Reporting interruptions to power supplies already affecting some areas here, Its getting extremely wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House

Just had my first structural damage. Big white piece of UPVC flew off one of my upstairs windows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Very strong jet streak over N England and S Scotland, any chance these winds could reach the surface as very powerful gusts?

Yes I would imagine, not sure but does the feature you show, tie in with the sting jet?

Can someone with better access than me, update the folk of scotland when the sting jet is due to pass and where?

Edit: Live UK storm chase streaming has started guys n gals.

http://www.netweathe...therevents;sess=

Regards

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

The Cold front moving southwards could be sufficient enough to bring down any upper winds in the 850hpa region, depending on the amount of convection required for precip cells along the boundary. One such thing i'm watching out for myself in that isolated SLW gusts can be an added factor to today's gust recordings.

Tiree METAR:

METAR EGPU 081020Z AUTO 26052G72KT 230V290 5000 HZ FEW012///

SCT019/// 08/05 Q0974 RERA=