Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 12th December 2011 Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
This is how I feel. If people didn't enjoy things that killed people, no one would enjoy anything Of all the things that people enjoy, weather has got to be pretty low down on the lst of things that kill.

A bit of a dark post there Lauren and slightly off topic: Atlantic Storms 12 December onwrds. So tomorrow. How are we feeling tomorrow is panning out? As far as I can see it lloks quite pleasant for Newbury tomorrow.

Posted

As far as I can see it lloks quite pleasant for Newbury tomorrow.

I hope so I have a guy coming to finish off laying my patio, before the rains starts on Tuesday.

Posted

im not saying thurs/fridays storm will be a non event but if we look at mon/tues storm it seems that over the weekend it has been pulled further n/w on every run and has lost a little of its intensity i think same might happen with the thursday storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

The World Health Organisation has estimated that the extreme heat of 2003 caused more than 15, 000 excess deaths in France, Portugal and Italy alone. It is also the biggest natural killer event in the US. There was an interesting interview with an elderly trawlerman from Peterhead on the radio this morning regarding being at sea in these storms. I can empathise with his comments. I was in the Clyde in 68 when half of Glasgow disappeared and men drowned not far from where we were. As it was we nearly ended up in Gourock high street. I should add I don't think trawlermen are ignorant but extremely brave.

Yes but most of those deaths were not from heat alone, but the consequences of it. For example, people not drinking enough water, not seeking shade etc. In many weather related deaths, it's not the weather itself that kills but people not taking the correct precautions.

Posted

The World Health Organisation has estimated that the extreme heat of 2003 caused more than 15, 000 excess deaths in France, Portugal and Italy alone. It is also the biggest natural killer event in the US. There was an interesting interview with an elderly trawlerman from Peterhead on the radio this morning regarding being at sea in these storms. I can empathise with his comments.

Heat - lots of folk love it. Cold and snow - lots of folk love them. Both are mass murderers but it's OK for us to crave them in their respective seasons,but it's seen as slightly sick by some for wishing Friday's much vaunted storm comes to pass. Why's that then? I hope it hits my locale with more violence than any can comprehend. No,really. Que Sera etc. I'm insured,so's the car and house. Folk will be forewarned - whether they take heed or not is their lookout. Won't happen tho',guaranteed - never does around here and I'm left watching wistfully the news footage of someone else having all the fun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

I hope so I have a guy coming to finish off laying my patio, before the rains starts on Tuesday.

Oh well I hope it goes well and your patio is in place. Just checked my week of weather via our lovely netweather and on my birthday 14th we could have icy rain? So is this part of the mix of the Tuesday low?

Posted

Right, let's get back on topic now folks. :D

nice try Jane

I had thought I might post a realistic look at the models in here but it seems as daft in here as the model thread.

I'm too old for all this-maybe I'll retire to the technical thread?

Posted

bobbydog, i couldna agree with you more about ignorance causing injury. i am absolutely furious about some of the things that happened last thursday. My neighbours ken fine that the week before a few pig and sheep shelters blew over in 80mph winds and then they ken that an even bigger storm is coming and they tie nothing down!! I spent the next day cleaning up all their stuff that blew onto my croft. Some of it damaged one of our buildings badly and do i even get an apology? Naw! I pulled a plank of wood out of the ground sticking straight up in the air buried stabbed two feet into the ground. Imagine what that woulda done if it hit someone?? My other neighbour is absentee and has the entire roof of a metal barn sitting on top of the roof of the house which is mega damaged but, i tried txtin, phoning this neighbour and nothing. Next wind it may hit somebody elses hoose! Deciding whether i phone the council about it or not.

Posted

I know what you mean and I do sometimes have two sides to my self where one side wan't to see the shear power of winds actually getting above 60mph, but then the other side realises that it would likely cause damage to peoples homes including mines. And I also realise that some of the nice trees we have around here would likely be damaged or uprooted and that would upset me as well.

If only we could find a way to make everything invincible against storm force winds, that would be my dream come true as I could see as many storms as I wanted, but without the downside of damage that comes with it.

Very sensible response .....

Posted

bobbydog, i couldna agree with you more about ignorance causing injury. i am absolutely furious about some of the things that happened last thursday. My neighbours ken fine that the week before a few pig and sheep shelters blew over in 80mph winds and then they ken that an even bigger storm is coming and they tie nothing down!! I spent the next day cleaning up all their stuff that blew onto my croft. Trailer loads of it! Some of it damaged one of our buildings badly which is the only real damage we had and do i even get an apology? Naw! I pulled a plank of wood out of the ground sticking straight up in the air buried stabbed two feet into the ground. Imagine what that woulda done if it hit someone?? Coulda hit one of my coos too. My other neighbour is absentee and has the entire roof of a metal barn sitting on top of the roof of the house which is mega damaged but, i tried txtin, phoning this neighbour and nothing. Next wind it may blow off and by the looks take the hoose roof with it and may hit somebody elses hoose! Deciding whether i phone the council about it or not. it not like high winds are a freak occurence in caithness, tie yer stuff down people! Sorry, rant over. :roll:

Posted

Downgrade on the 18Z - hope it heralds a downgade all round. much less intense and much more southerly.

Posted

Thanks for the bump up Jane :-) Still none the wiser though :-( Could you reccomend a thread to re-post in please? Don't know how to copy and paste on my new phone, so I will have to type it all again :-0 It seems to be getting a little off topic in here lol :-D

Posted

nice try Jane

I had thought I might post a realistic look at the models in here but it seems as daft in here as the model thread.

Don't retire John lol just smile and be happy and know you have the luxury of knowledge on your side.

Posted

I do like the look of this image for Thursday though.

Edit: oh the chart didn't come on, what did I do wrong?

Oh well ,cant do it so it is the GFS UK wind speed chart for Thursday 21:00

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Please keep this thread to the original discussion. :) You can always discuss your views on severe weather on the link below. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

There you go lads and lasses you got your wish. Next week doesnt half look exciting!...............................not!

Posted

There you go lads and lasses you got your wish. Next week doesnt half look exciting!...............................not!

Looka good for the South coast on Thursday. :clapping: I expect it will change when it comes to it though.

Posted

nice try Jane

Since when has this meant to be a "technical thread", to the exclusion of talking about anything else connected to Atlantic storms? Coast's introduction to it raised the possibility of next doors wheelie bin ending up in the next county... does that fall into the "technical" category?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

I almost hate to say this but I am kind of relieved that the storms have been downgraded. I am responsible for responsive maintenance on 3200 houses in the South Lakes and was starting to get jittery at the thought of two major storms coming through.

We are still patching up from Thursdays blow and that only produced gusts around 61 mph

Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Thanks for the bump up Jane :-) Still none the wiser though :-( Could you reccomend a thread to re-post in please? Don't know how to copy and paste on my new phone, so I will have to type it all again :-0 It seems to be getting a little off topic in here lol :-D

Hi Jo,

have a look on the last page of the Welsh regional discussion thread hopefully it may be of help to you.

If you have any problems accessing it on your phone let me know. :)

Posted

Please keep this thread to the original discussion. :) You can always discuss your views on severe weather on the link below. :)

http://forum.netweat...severe-weather/

An odd comment as you posted this, And I suspect my views are fairly obvious.

"This is how I feel. If people didn't enjoy things that killed people, no one would enjoy anything Of all the things that people enjoy, weather has got to be pretty low down on the lst of things that kill".