Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Why Do Some Feel It's Wrong To Like Severe Weather?

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I do agree with the "careful what you wish for" line under one specific circumstance- i.e. where people wish for a certain magnitude of extreme weather while being largely unaware of the magnitude of risk involved, in which case if it happens they might regret that they'd wished for it. However I wouldn't call that selfish- naive would be a better description. If they are aware of the magnitude of risk involved then I don't think the phrase works, as they are already well aware of the pros and cons of what they're wishing for.

I don't wish for destructive tornadoes primarily out of fear for our own safety (including my own) but I actively wish for European-style thunderstorms on a regular basis, knowing that for most people they will entail nothing worse than a bit of short-term disruption. However, that doesn't cause me to condemn storm chasers who hope for potentially dangerous tornadoes- perhaps their tolerance of risk is higher than mine, and in any case if the tornadoes happen away from populated areas the risk to life may still be low.

But regarding risk thresholds, many of those who condemn storm chasers for hoping for destructive tornadoes similarly condemn those who hope for snow flurries in the second week of May, as if the negative impacts of the latter are somehow remotely comparable, and that puts me off the cause somewhat.

Posted

Yes, it is and we could go round in circles like this forever but your never going to stop enthusiasts being fascinated and excited by extreme weather.

But that's the point. I'm not trying to stop enthusiats being fascinated, merely putting my point of view. And I don't think you help your argument by cherry picking bits of my post that influence your bias. I've seen a number of posts in this forum which state 'I hope'. Need I say more.

Edited by knocker

Posted

I'm sorry there is a lot of nonesense here. I hope to win the lottery, but my hope has no influence on whether I will or not. We are just making the best of a bad job. Hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, extreme heat & severe cold will happen, whether we hope for them or not. The loss of life is regrettable & tragic, but entirely outside of anyone's control

This is an argument about semantics & philosophy. I will not feel guilty about enjoying severe weather (although December 2010 made me think I'm getting a bit old for prolonged severe cold), it will happen regardless & to pretend otherwise or to imply that people should feel somehow guilty for admitting it is daft.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I don't know if I'm being misinterpreted, as I don't generally condemn stormchasers. Far from it and I do appreciate that they add to our knowledge and can save lives down the line.I also very nearly went myself, six or seven years ago.

I just didn't feel comfortable watching one storm chaser's report on one of the documentary channels recently and also if I was to witness massive destruction close up, I really wouldn't like it - another balance of risks I suppose.

Posted

I hope for a massive snowstorm next winter which will cut power for days and drop 1-2 feet of snow, I know the implications but that still does not stop me from hoping.

Not worth dignifying that with a reply otherwise Jane will be taking the cane to me again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't know if I'm being misinterpreted, as I don't generally condemn stormchasers. Far from it and I do appreciate that they add to our knowledge and can save lives down the line.I also very nearly went myself, six or seven years ago.

I just didn't feel comfortable watching one storm chaser's report on one of the documentary channels recently and also if I was to witness massive destruction close up, I really wouldn't like it - another balance of risks I suppose.

My post wasn't aimed at you in any way, just to clear that up- I thought your description of yourself as a young child fitted the "careful what you wish for" case quite well, but it was purely coincidental that I quoted storm chasers as an example of a group that traditionally get condemned for wanting potentially high-risk weather.

As it happens I'm actually among those who would feel somewhat uneasy at witnessing massive destruction close up, but it also underlines, for example, the strength of my objections to being condemned for wanting things like a French-style thunderstorm or snow in May by association with heavily destructive events despite neither of those desired events being capable of causing even one-hundreth of that amount of destruction.

Posted

I'm sorry there is a lot of nonesense here. I hope to win the lottery, but my hope has no influence on whether I will or not. We are just making the best of a bad job. Hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, extreme heat & severe cold will happen, whether we hope for them or not. The loss of life is regrettable & tragic, but entirely outside of anyone's control

This is an argument about semantics & philosophy. I will not feel guilty about enjoying severe weather (although December 2010 made me think I'm getting a bit old for prolonged severe cold), it will happen regardless & to pretend otherwise or to imply that people should feel somehow guilty for admitting it is daft.

Your missing the point. Who has said you should feel guilty. I find it rather amusing that people argue about something which hasn't been touched upon. I don't think it's nonsense so tough. Anyway it's hardly an argument it's me against the rest of the field.

Edited by knocker

Posted

My post wasn't aimed at you in any way, just to clear that up- I thought your description of yourself as a young child fitted the "careful what you wish for" case quite well, but it was purely coincidental that I quoted storm chasers as an example of a group that traditionally get condemned for wanting potentially high-risk weather.

As it happens I'm actually among those who would feel somewhat uneasy at witnessing massive destruction close up, but it also underlines, for example, the strength of my objections to being condemned for wanting things like a French-style thunderstorm or snow in May by association with heavily destructive events despite neither of those desired events being capable of causing even one-hundreth of that amount of destruction.

Who exactly is condemning you TWS?

Posted

Having given it some thought I don't think I'll bother to post to this forum again. I feel I don't think I can add anything to it. And obviously this is shared by many. Sorry if I have caused offence but that's the way it goes.

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

If there is not risk there is not severity? i had said about the film studios in an earlier post, if we could experience severe weather without the risk of harm then that would be good, it is not possible for it to be that way, risk is everywhere, i'm sure there are people that don't get excited by weather events and think those that do are bad but then they might just drive around on the roads at speed for no particular reason and risk hitting people or drink drive. As i said in another post(that i have now deleted as i realised i had wrote the bit about studio weather effects wrong)If the weather was created in an effects studio then this would not be the same, although they can make it pretty extreme you are not feeling the same as you would outside in the real.

If i was in a middle of a landcape with no towns/homes experiencing the severe weather then that would be how i want it, the weather has always been there and it comes a long across our towns and cities. So as i said before, i don't wish for, but if something turns up then i experience it.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Low amounts of snow could cause more risk then deep snow i would have thought, large snowfalls stopping people driving? which is a more extreme snow event.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Having given it some thought I don't think I'll bother to post to this forum again. I feel I don't think I can add anything to it. And obviously this is shared by many. Sorry if I have caused offence but that's the way it goes.

We need some kind of discussion that involves disagree/agree, some offices sit round at a table, they have a big debate on whatever that might be, it can get heated, but they remain friends and get on with there job, no ones view is meant to be the 'winner' on here, it's not about that, we may find that our view become isolated, that is the way it is, it is a discussion. So please stay on the forums, there is no reason for you to go! smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

This is the same circular discussion. Of course we can't influence it but we don't have to hope for it. Ask the people in the NE US at the moment for their opinion. Are you fascinated by extreme heat with no AC?

Aren't both 'sides' of this argument pretty-much circular in nature, knocker?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Aren't both 'sides' of this argument pretty-much circular in nature, knocker?

I think he's gone search.gif

Posted

Well the expression 'needs help' was suggested towards me first by one of the enthuisasts so perhaps your showing a little bias here.

I must admit I did overlook/forget that when tying the comment, but I did not intend to show any bias though it's probably true that due to my position I'm not the most unbiased person you could find on the matter.

I find watching things like lightning or torrential rain sweeping along a road in sheets interesting/fascinating/exciting to watch. Although I would not wish for something as extreme as a cat 5 hurricane, or tornado through my house, or storms or heat like parts of the eastern USA saw recently. I wish for weather to experience the conditions that I am fascinated by, but at the same time hope there are as minimal as possible negative consequences as possible.

I do understand others not sharing the same interest/enthusiasm for interesting/severe weather, like all things in life, and for them the potential negative consequences are all they see really, so may not understand some people being interested in/enjoying such conditions. Also I understand why such experiences like Knocker has had on weather ships may put him off, although I'd want to experience such conditions from a safe place if that was possible, I would not wish to be out on deck in the middle of the Atlantic faced with a 40ft wall of water!

I guess us all having this discussion is not going to change anything though, I doubt those that think it is 'wrong' to wish for severe weather will change their opinion, and neither would those that are very interested by such weather like me. For me to not enjoy certain 'severe' weather and also 'wish' for interesting weather from time to time to keep some interest, you would probably have to physically change my brain.

I've ran out of my 'like this' allowance, but this is a brilliant post. good.gif

Thanks, It's nice to know what I type actually makes sense and comes out as planned!

I am going to Holland tomorrow until the 10th of July, and thunderstorm chances are looking pretty high on the 4th especially, along with nice warmth. I am indeed hoping I get to experience a thunderstorm or two when over there (especially as chances where I live are usually pretty rubbish). Though I wouldn't expect any of them to be bad enough to cause too much disruption or any loss of lives, they could still provide a good show.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

Who exactly is condemning you TWS?

Nobody has condemned me personally in this thread, but there have been posts condemning those who wish for extreme weather, and in my experience "extreme weather" can be defined very widely.

I recall one instance where I got a strong ticking off for hoping for snow showers in the second week of May 2010 on the basis that they might kill birds and cause crop damage. Over the years I've also had a lot of exposure to the argument that "normal" people want reliable dry, settled weather and aren't too bothered if it's cloudy as long as they don't get wet- on this basis I get criticised for preferring sunshine and showers to dry cloudy weather, for being perverse/weird and wishing disruption upon people's lives.

On the other hand, I can understand why some may have an issue with people wishing for weather that may cause significant problems, particularly if they've witnessed it themselves- I don't necessarily agree, but I can see why people get sensitive over it. I think there has to be mutual respect from both sides here- extreme weather enthusiasts should take care when it comes to imposing their enthusiasm on others, but should not be made to feel guilty for enjoying or hoping for particular types of weather. However I don't have any sympathy for the "people need to work but they don't need to enjoy themselves" sort of line that I described in detail in earlier posts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Good post TWS.

I have had people moan at me for "wishing" bad weather. But apart from ignoring them, I tend to reply with the fact that me "Wishing" will make no difference to what happens.

If your informed you are also prepared. So if severe weather is on its way, i always ensure things are sorted at hyome ( Stuff cleaned up outside, car in garage etc.. )

Just because I wanted high winds etc doesnt make me the cause.

Edited by Lynxus

Posted

Because like most genuinely fun and exciting things such as racing and contact sports it involves danger and that danger can lead to injuries and fatalities, which of course makes it a magnet for the millions of joyless crybabies and attention seekers out there who write to TV / radio networks every day bleating on about nothing. "Moan moan moan moan moan moan"

That's why in a nutshell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

My big question is, why do some people take an interest in weather when the only weather they ever want is warm and sunny? Talk about monotonous.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Aaron's post reminds me of my irritation at how the model output thread becomes a high pressure watch at this time of year, but I think that's a symptom of the "seasonal" preferences that dominate among the regular contributors- a fair number of weather enthusiasts appreciate notable weather events in the winter half-year, but just want settled and preferably warm sunny weather for outdoor activities in late spring and summer.

I doubt that there are many weather enthusiasts who take an interest mainly for pleasure who only want warm sunny weather all year round, but there will be many who take a strong interest in weather because of how it affects their business who will take that line, if reliably warm sunny weather gives them the best income (which will be true of many tourist-related businesses for example).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Most members of the general public like warm and sunny weather or at least some boring benign easy to live with rubbish, these folk aren't generally interested in meteorology. So how can you be a weather fanatic and show a keen interest meteorology then turn round and say you don't like severe weather (the very aspect that many of us live for) and to quote it's wrong that people wish for and become excited over a severe weather occurrence, I wouldn't be on this site or any other if that was the case. Unless of course my business etc were very dependant on a certain weather type, even so I'd likely just stick with the likes of the Metoffice.

At what point does the weather cross a threshold and become severe? How severe is life threatening and will common sense prevail in dangerous situations? Daily life is full of risks and danger that many of us are unaware of and living here in Great Britain the risks posed to ones self by extreme weather occurrence are very very small, perhaps if it wasn't so unusual in the UK less people would get injured during dangerous weather events when they do occur.

This debate could and probably will go on and on, there is no definitive answer be it right or wrong. Everyone is different, that's life. No doubt I'll be on the sea front come winter in storm force winds with my anemometer feeling the full force of an Atlantic storm depression that I wished so hard for! Exhilarating. I love it, but thats my choice well aware of any risks. smile.png

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Liam J's post also reminds me of my love-hate relationship with severe gales. I get frightened of their potential to cause major structural damage, but nonetheless try to make the most of them by standing on the nearest hill facing the wind. On a similar note, I can't really claim that I never hope for severe winds, as while that may be true when browsing model outputs, it goes sharply out of the window when I'm stood on a hilltop hoping to 'catch' the strongest gusts available.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Most members of the general public like warm and sunny weather or at least some boring benign easy to live with rubbish, these folk aren't generally interested in meteorology. So how can you be a weather fanatic and show a keen interest meteorology then turn round and say you don't like severe weather (the very aspect that many of us live for)

This debate could and probably will go on and on, there is no definitive answer be it right or wrong. Everyone is different, that's life. No doubt I'll be on the sea front come winter in storm force winds with my anemometer feeling the full force of an Atlantic storm depression that I wished so hard for! Exhilarating. I love it, but thats my choice well aware of any risks. smile.png

I assume from that one can't have an interest in meteorology withhout being a fanatic? Interesting.

And you think standing on the sea front feeling the full force of an Atlantic gale is similar to being in a fishing or lifeboat when your life is at risk? Get real.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

This debate could and probably will go on and on....

... unfortunately yes angel.gif