Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Could someone explain to me what conditions are needed for Snow tonight? Its currently 3C here with a dewpoint of 2C but both are falling?

A dewpoint of 0C is usually needed for snowfall, but if the precipitation's heavy and both temperature and dewpoint are dropping it could still fall as snow.

Also, this isn't showing on the radar yet, but there is/was a very slight flurry on the velux from what I could see. Tiny crystals which looked initially like it could just be frost but on closer look turned out to be very light snow. If it kept up all night like that it would probably just enhance the frost a wee bit!

Another thought - the Forth might act to pep up any bands making it across to Fife meaning that what appears on the radar and satellite to be dead cloud could end up reappearing as snow at the other side. I've seen that working in favour of both Edinburgh and South Fife before with frontal systems.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Now -4c nice dry ground tomorrow to work on.On a farm frosty weather is very welcome in the winter as it easier to walk on and cleaner so will take round bale straw home from the field store tomorrow without making huge tracks in the mud.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Snowing in Ayrshire..cmon someone must be awake there! :clapping:

Posted

okay doke, it's rant time! We in the central belt as well as southern parts of scotland are expecting some snow tonight, with a few inches possible. Now this update from Simon's scratchbox on WeatherOnline states at 5pm today:

"Simon: Our focus for the snow remains through southwest Midlands and central and southern Wales. There could be 1 or 2cm of wet snow at low levels here with as much as 5cm on high ground."

The MetO have an AMBER warning out for this!

Now the MetO warning for the central belt and southern Scotland tonight is a YELLOW warning for ICE!!!! However they state in the details of the warning :

Accumulations of 5 cm of snow are likely over higher ground with some slush to lower levels. Showers die away from most places during Friday morning.

So how can parts of England have Amber snow warnings for the same amount of snow that we're expecting when we only have yellow ice warnings! A bit of bias from the MetO I feel and no consistency! Also the fact that they have issued Blanket warnings for 3 consecutive days for ice is totally ridiculous. If they done that for any of the last 2 winters there would have been times where there were blanket ice warnings for 4-6 weeks in a row! I'm losing faith in the MetO a little these days!

Anyway, back to OUR snow threat, and I suspect that some favourable areas tonight could see around 4 inches if your lucky. I'm at least hoping for 3 inches here and looking forward to a cold crisp weekend. Currently 0.7C and DP of 0.6C

. And now I've just looked out the window to see the sleet starting . . . SLEET!!

Posted

Snowing in Ayrshire..cmon someone must be awake there! :clapping:

Just sleet here Nov13 but turning ever more wintry. Hopeful that the dew point will drop sufficiently enough to turn it to snow.

Radar indicating it's making steady progress north so you might get some yourself.

Only 150ft asl here

Posted

I told my brother 7 inches...hopefully I am right!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

just sleet here too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

So how can parts of England have Amber snow warnings for the same amount of snow that we're expecting when we only have yellow ice warnings! A bit of bias from the MetO I feel and no consistency! Also the fact that they have issued Blanket warnings for 3 consecutive days for ice is totally ridiculous. If they done that for any of the last 2 winters there would have been times where there were blanket ice warnings for 4-6 weeks in a row! I'm losing faith in the MetO a little these days!

Good rant Ruzzi ! I like to think of it as they know we are better prepared for the snow than the rest of the UK.. it's a given that there is a Southern Bias at points - this is something you acclimatize to over time...

Other than that - they probably like to ramp up their first snow of the season !

Posted

Good rant Ruzzi ! I like to think of it as they know we are better prepared for the snow than the rest of the UK.. it's a given that there is a Southern Bias at points - this is something you acclimatize to over time...

Other than that - they probably like to ramp up their first snow of the season !

That's a good way to think of it actually, NO amount of snow will halt the scots . . . ehh except on the 6th of December 2010. I hope it just rains down there now and we get a decent dumping just so that the MetO can have egg on their face! And not for the first time this year either.

I suppose we can always rely on the Sun (newspaper) to give us a good Arctic ramping tomorrow :rofl:

AND on that note, the SNOW HAS BEGUN!!!!!!

Posted

really dodgy drive there, had to go in to work finished at three and came out, couple of pictures

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

not sure of actual depth but the first picture was road out of East Kilbride and it was not in good condition to say the least.Cheers

Scott

Edited by scott_anthony_glasgow

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

morning Scotland what a winter wonderland we awake to this morning and still snowing :good:

Posted

Morning, about 3 inches here overnight and it's still falling. Downside is I have to tackle the road in a bit, hopefully the ploughs have been out!

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Kayemill, December 16, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by Kayemill, December 16, 2011 - No reason given

Plenty of snow again in Darvel this morning. Dodgy drive to work.