Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - January 2012

Liam J

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I was wrong by 1 mph. All quiet now though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

God I'm stuffed to the rafters lol

Lerwick in the last hour recorded sustained winds of 67mph gusting 91mph! Serious stuff...

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Really gusty winds in Leeds now not at home so can't check the speed but its really strong at times guessing 45mph plus

Posted

I got a brother stuck up in Tromso at the moment, ferries aren't going anywhere (he was booked on a cruise) and reportedly the Norwegian authorities are telling people the 951 & 958mb storms in the coming 2 days are exceptional for the coastline communities and something of a '30 year event' his words not mine however, but definitely something that's crept up off my RADAR.

Edited by SNOW_JOKE

Posted

gusted to around 65mph here for a bit earlier, i dont get why netweather didnt warn about the wind for christmas day, but met office did and it wasnt that bad here, but netweather have a wind warning for us now for today and the met office dont, they are just saying "occasionally severe gales"! lol :)

Posted

Breezy today winds up 51 mph and average 31 mph. Wasn't expecting this to be honest. Xcweather reckons it will getting breezier as the day goes on.

Posted

Wednesday is still looking quite serious for wind speeds in the north, less than 48hrs out so the track should be getting nailed pretty much now.

GFS 6z has taken it further south this would impact more areas of Ireland and N England, severe gale to storm force winds likely in places with gusts of 70-80mph through Central/Southern Scotland, Northern Ireland and Northern England.

post-9615-0-89407300-1324893651_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted

A few other indicators from me:

hir_cape_eur36.png

hir_icon10_eur36.png

hir_prec_eur36.png

hir_stp_eur36.png

hir_srh_eur36.png

Big gusts in the NE and NW of Scotland:

hir_gusts_eur36.png

Posted

Storm Incoming

Some real nasty weather is on the cards in a little over 24 hours time as an intense Atlantic depression around 968mb crosses Northern Britain bringing severe gales or storm force winds accompanied by heavy rainfall and squally showers.

Later Tuesday evening and into the early hours of Wednesday the storm will approach from the west bringing severe gales over western and northern Ireland with gusts perhaps pushing 80mph over exposed coasts and headlands, a few hours before dawn the Western Isles and Western Mainland Scotland will start to experience disruptive wind speeds with gusts in excess of 80mph possible in exposed places along with the Central belt bringing the risk of 60-70mph gusts inland.

Severe gales will also start to affect the North Irish Sea, SW Scotland and the far North of England, say from roughly St Bees Head northwards on the Cumbrian coast into the Solway could experience gusts of 70-75mph through the morning and early part of the afternoon, Meto are predicting gusts around 70mph here.

This obviously could cause some sizeable travel disruption in the affected areas with some people returning to work or travelling around, we have potential for structural damage & damage to trees with the risk of these being uprooted making getting out & about and driving very hazardous. Also disruption to power supplies is a real possibility.

Watch what your doing folks.

post-9615-0-21491600-1324946557_thumb.pn

post-9615-0-47133800-1324946568_thumb.gi

post-9615-0-06032800-1324946581_thumb.gi

post-9615-0-41300000-1324946593_thumb.gi

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Seems to have beefed up a bit and now covers a much greater area of Scotland

hir_gusts_eur30.png

Posted

Another day another storm and once again too far south for it to be much concern for us. Should still get some lively gusts though and December despite never getting up to 60 mph is going to be one of the breeziest we've recorded.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

So many storms this year - am sick fedup of listing to wind howling and whistling in the chimney :angry:

Posted

Meto warnings updated, Amber for Central and Southern Scotland, yellow warning for the remainder of Scotland and the north of Northern England.

Very nasty conditions expected, even from the normally conservative Met!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

Issued at - 27 Dec 2011, 10:35

Valid from - 28 Dec 2011, 09:00

Valid to - 28 Dec 2011, 23:59

Very strong winds will affect northern Britain on Wednesday, including the populated Central Lowlands of Scotland. Gusts of 60 to 70 mph are expected, with 80 to 90 mph possible in exposed coastal areas of the west. The public should be aware that this could cause disruption to transport.

The public is advised to take extra care, further information and advice can be found here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/links.html

Posted

I think the one to watch will be the K5 buoy, windspeed and other details here:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=64045

Current conditions:

post-6667-0-41326300-1324996094.png

post-6667-0-41326300-1324996094_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

is this storm as bad as the 9th dec for scotland when they got a red warning?

It is looking every bit as bad to be honest. Interestingly the subsequent LPs after the visit of Bob Agg delivered stronger wind, even the last 48 hours delivered massive gusts to Shetland, 100 mph at ground level.

Could easily turn to a Red Warning again I suppose..

Posted

I think it is understandable to look at FI at the moment because the models are at a point where within a short space of runs they could flip to a much colder outlook, I guess people want to be on board when that happens. Also I reckon the majority are looking for a colder solution and the Bartlett regime is not top of many people's list of Xmas gifts..

This system is really winding up now though and on closer inspection looks entirely similar to Bob Agg.. dread to think what this will get given as a name. On FU Berlin Adopt a Vortex this storm has been named officially as Robert.

RGB Airmass

post-7292-0-13406800-1324998673_thumb.jp

NMM Wind profiles 14:00 Weds

post-7292-0-96326200-1324998686_thumb.pn

I think it is a given the Forth and Tay bridges will be closed tomorrow, so transport disruption as predicted by Meto spot on.

post-7292-0-64353000-1324998784_thumb.gi

Posted

i wish people would talk about this storm rather than focus on FI chats which may not happen!!

Talk about the storm all you like here Geoff, no talk of FI in this thread, unless it relates to an incoming Atlantic storm of course :)

Going to be very rough up north tomorrow, interesting satellite images with a 'wow' factor posted by lorenzo, thanks :good:

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House

So many storms this year - am sick fedup of listing to wind howling and whistling in the chimney :angry:

Couldnt agree more. This is the fourth major storm round me in as many weeks. What I wouldnt give for a month of non-weather.

Was just beginning to enjoy a spell of quiet weather.

Edited by Insert Name Here

Posted

I think some people are taking their eye of the ball for what could be a fairly damaging even for Northern Ireland, Southern and Western Scotland and Northern England.

ECM has a very compact feature with the extent of the windfield slightly less than the GFS or UKM but with the intensity greater, some big gusts will be recorded in Malin Head, the western Isles and the central Lowlands.

I would say widespread gusts to 70mph, with gusts to 90mph in places.

The latest satellite imagery presents a really well structured storm which is continuing to intensify.

ECM1-24.GIF?27-0

My weak attempt at pointing out areas to of concern

winwarn.jpg

Posted

29mbs drop in the last rolling 24hrs..

Last Hi-Res Satellite pass.

It's a beauty..

post-7292-0-17114900-1325020666_thumb.jp