Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - New Year

lorenzo

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

gone as dark as night here in Cambuslang more heavy rain I just wish it was snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Proper heavy rain and suddenly squally wind - Sky looks very black and ominous!! Not a time for going out!!

Just had a thought - maybe we should do some collective wishing that the charts start to show something with potential for cold soon - this morning sees more downs than ups again !!

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Just had an horrendous shower here. Absolutely hammered it down for 15mins. drainpipes all overflowing. Models continuing with this very flat pattern for the forseeable yet again. Each pattern has lasted such a long time this year. Spring in the east was cold and never really warmed up. Summer was cool and cloudy and didn't change much. Autumn was a bit warmer at the start and landed up cool and cloudy again. Now we have this seemingly endless zonal muck! If/when it does eventually turn cold, perhaps that too will last for a considerable time? I live in hope. (Knew I shouldn't have bought hubby that snowblower for Christmas!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well Blitzen we bought a huge snow shovel too!! I think the models too and fro so much - there is still time for big changes in the other direction (for cold)

Posted

It could still happen. This chart on the same day in 1983 doesn't look all that different to what we have now and led to the snowiest January I can ever recall. Spot the difference! If anything, the PV was even stronger. I would love to be able to see the northern hemisphere charts around that time to see how it transpired!

post-1989-0-35166600-1325159902_thumb.gi

post-1989-0-13228800-1325160328_thumb.gi

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Lol bleakmidwinter u hav dodged a bullet...The magic moments of first smile first say your name first steps are soon forgotten in the non stop grief..that's what I like about the regional forum tho u can go off O/t which helps when models are mildish in winter..hadn't looked at the faxes and as Lorenzo says another low to watch...what a surprise...I'm gonna leave rebuilding my fence until March I think....

Posted

Very dark to the west and currently 1.2c can this be snow coming as I see a big blob on the radar to the west of me.Slight ground frost when I wen tout first thing this morning.

Mostly sleet earlier but have just had a shower of heavy wet snow

Mostly sleet earlier but have just had a shower of heavy wet snow

Currently 2.3c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Good to hear of some snow activity in Aberdeenshire, under the influence of some cold Northerly air.

Looking at the LP mid week, track is altogether familiar !

post-7292-0-34341600-1325161919_thumb.pn

Posted

Thankfully the yawn inducing windy weather has been replaced by some snow today, very light covering so far and the odd shower of big flakes. Feels too much like winter, awaiting the 70mph winds and horizontal rain to return and smack me in the face with their bawbagedness

Edit* Heavy snow now and currently 1.8C

Just up the road from me the Slochd is looking good http://trafficscotla...&itemtypeids=26

Edited by Northern Strath

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Some hefty patches showing up on Radar now..

:)

Posted

It could still happen. This chart on the same day in 1983 doesn't look all that different to what we have now and led to the snowiest January I can ever recall. Spot the difference! If anything, the PV was even stronger. I would love to be able to see the northern hemisphere charts around that time to see how it transpired!

post-1989-0-35166600-1325159902_thumb.gi

post-1989-0-13228800-1325160328_thumb.gi

Blitzen

You know when i looked at those charts it reminded me of how mild it was that previous december (83) did the temps not reach a warm phase too - just like this Christmas?

Also Jan 84 was very snowy we had snow lying for 20days in that January. You may well be on to something. - Shame we can't see the NH charts for then.

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

Snowing again here (zonality eh?!?)

Sleety here, rather than wintry at the moment, but even that is more than I expected today. Just been out to Deeside for a bike ride - we caught a sunny period and it was nice but boy was the breeze chilly!

Posted

Cold rain / sleet here in Westhill (110m) 10 miles west of Aberdeen.

A brief snow shower just passed in Westhill

Surprising how many showers are getting across to the Aberdeenshire area in a WNW airflow.

They just seem to be bulldozing their way over the Cairngorms only losing a bit of intensity

Edited by Zerouali lives

Posted

Blitzen

You know when i looked at those charts it reminded me of how mild it was that previous december (83) did the temps not reach a warm phase too - just like this Christmas?

Also Jan 84 was very snowy we had snow lying for 20days in that January. You may well be on to something. - Shame we can't see the NH charts for then.

Can you maybe elaborate for me? What is different today compared to 83? How can 2 differnet years with very similar models outputs be so different? The charts look remarkably similar but i just can't see how its possible for January to be very snowy...

This whole weather thing is a nightmare...

Posted

Can you maybe elaborate for me? What is different today compared to 83? How can 2 differnet years with very similar models outputs be so different? The charts look remarkably similar but i just can't see how its possible for January to be very snowy...

This whole weather thing is a nightmare...

Yes, they are quite similar really. Just my way of pointing out how things can turn on a sixpence so to speak. If the northern hemisphere charts were available in the archives, then it would be more apparent how the pattern evolved. If you like, you can go to the chart archive, punch in the dates and see it evolve on a daily basis. Doesn't give you the full view tho' as to what the NH set up was that led to the change.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Not that I am particularly interested in viewing another carbon copy of the previous runs, but is anyone else unable to view the 12z's?