Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - New Year

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

After it calmed down last night, the wind is definitely back!

Branches flying past every so often and the river doing it`s best to flood again.

Yep, serious brussels sprouts problem here. Wakeful night due to atmospheric indigestion and glad I'm not working this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Fairly widespread but on the whole minor damage up here. A lot of damaged fences/gates, garage/shed doors blown off their hinges, slates off roofs. Had one report of a skip being bodily hurled across a field!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Wednesday certainly is one to watch.. some tight Isobars there and also fierce wind profiles.

post-7292-0-88390800-1324899969_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-73797400-1324900019_thumb.pn

Following the passage of the low is the familiar arrival of colder air from the NW.

post-7292-0-87361800-1324900173_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-81613500-1324900187_thumb.pn

Models are beginning to take on further interest in 10 day and beyond FI for the overall bigger profile.. Winter for real is on its way albeit slowly !

Posted

Boy is it windy again. 13c and lots of deris about. Saw a car bonnet ripped off earlier?

BM, hope you other half makes it, but fear the bridge will be shut to all but cars, really blowing hard. Kincardine should be ok though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Afternoon everyone :D

Rather windy here again today!! way too many sprouts yesterday. Rather windy on the roads to the frb yesterday but didn't find that the bridge was too bad really - although the bridge was still closed to high sided vehicles. Probably be the same today.

The chickens are getting a bit blown around in the garden but have now found some shelter behind a wee hedge.

Looking rather dull, so much so we need the lights on.

Was hoping that some snow might show up for the hols - lets see what wed/thurs holds.

Posted

Merry Christmas to the kilted folks! :smiliz19:

Starting to get a bit wild here again after a spell of calmer winds earlier. It's incredibly dull as well, feels more like it's 4pm, still 12.3c though and gusts are hitting the 40/45mph mark now. My ws is quite sheltered, so I'm guessing around 50ish atm in more exposed areas.

Stay safe, everyone.

Posted

Wind refuses to die down and is still ferocious occasionaly but still dry currently 13.3c and a photo of one of several of of our crocus flowering under the horse chestnut tree.post-2744-0-58870800-1324905567_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Getting fedup with the gales ... this year we seem to have so many of them. Wish we had snow instead, while everybody's off work!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Some more news from the BBC. Our CG helo Rescue 102 was out on a medivac mission on Christmas Day and at times was being blown backwards by the wind!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-16333710

Posted

137mph gust recorded on Cairngorm yesterday. Mountain/ski webcams looking a bit grim for snow-lovers with the hairdrier winds and rain having melted almost all snow - quite a contrast with this time in the last 2 years, following a promising start earlier this month.

Posted

merry christmas everyone

it can stop now if it wants yesterday wasn't to bad here ,none stop wind most of the day ,and again today

i'm worried about that wed storm coming in daughter is meant to be going to uist for a funeral wed cannot see that happening ,

i wish the snow and frost was back

Edited by milkmaid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

This month may actually still manage to come in very slightly below average IMO - mean up to the 20th http://www.climate-uk.com/page2.html Scotland mean temperature was running about 1.5C below 71-00 average to the 20th, and although it's been way above average since then, a cooling off to around average for the final few days mean that we might still hold below the 71-00 average, and perhaps even below the 61-90 average.

It's been between 12C and 13C here since yesterday at about 9am - to put that in context the mean temperature for Scotland in December is 3.1C.

The current temperature is 13.1C which is actually the average temperature for July.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Yes and although it's still 10C here it does not feel 'mild' in this wind especially with it lashing a hose treacherously across the yard.

Santa seems to have forgotten he's supposed to go and hide in an igloo - still bobbing around off Montrose, silly old fart.

Posted

12C here, wind's dropped off for now, so too's the wind. Sprouts back in stock.

Started watching Frozen Planet to get the seasonal feel. Never seen so much slo-mo! It's all a bit image-orientated isn't it? A few morsels of information would keep me awake longer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Still sounds like its howling here! but i'm not going out to see what its like! Still felt warm even in the wind earlier on this evening.

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

Some interest appearing in the charts again... i wonder what the New Year will bring? Although its looking rather nasty to my eyes for Wednesday - any update anyone with more experience?

Met Office still only a yellow warning - gusts of 60-70 maybe even 80mph!

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Still 11.7C now after a max of 12.5C for the second day in a row. Unless there is a pattern change soon it is the wind that this Winter will be remembered for.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Some interest appearing in the charts again... i wonder what the New Year will bring? Although its looking rather nasty to my eyes for Wednesday - any update anyone with more experience?

Met Office still only a yellow warning - gusts of 60-70 maybe even 80mph!

It's still a bit early to tell exactly how severe gusts will be - probably most severe for the Hebrides through across the central belt http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2011/12/26/basis12/ukuk/boen/11122812_2612.gif The GFS suggests gusts may end up around 60-70 mph so looking less severe than bawbag at least but there's still some time for an 'upgrade' of wind speed. The possibility of wintry precipitation on Wednesday night again from the northwest with showers around http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20111226/12/54/h850t850eu.png .

By Thursday morning we have the first widespread snow potential for about 10 days - a messy system of occlusions crosses the country http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20111226/12/66/ukprec.png Uppers still fairly cold http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2011/12/26/basis12/ukuk/t85p/11122906_2612.gif

Surface layer however could be a touch too mild http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2011/12/26/basis12/ukuk/taup/11122906_2612.gif

However, a bit of interest has returned to short range forecasting perhaps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Can anyone suggest reasons why the wind is such a feature this winter? It just is starting to feel odd if it isn't at least 20+mph out there...

Got up and put jumper on. Came downstairs and have had to take jumper off as too warm... ridiculous weather...

At least other half got here ok and will get back ok today - but these winds are far, far, bigger in the weather than I remember in recent years at least.

All year, actually... there was the May storms, when Edinburgh Blackford Hill recorded iirc 76mph, and another one in about September, was it, and then Bawbag, but in between it's just been really windy more than it's been anything else.