Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - New Year

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Yes of course Cheggers - mini carrot cakes on the go today. Baking with the kids - onto the icing now.

I will be quality testing shortly!!

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

Yes of course Cheggers - mini carrot cakes on the go today. Baking with the kids - onto the icing now.

I will be quality testing shortly!!

Mmmm my favourite.

Just aboot to head out again into this awful weather, and still several hours to go.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

It is most definitely not a day to be out and about. Take care everyone.

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

It's not nice here either, nearly dark already, blowing a hoolie and lights flickering on and off. Sky keeps freezing and I'm positive I saw a flash of lightening about an hour ago.

5.2c, windchill 0.7c, gusting a maximum 55mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Never known anything like this before. The frequency of deep lows sweeping by is incredible. It feels like every 3rd or 4th day for the past umpteen weeks we've had gales gusting over 70mph here on Isle of Lewis.

Welcome along Windsock - enjoy your time on our Kilted Thread :) Perhaps some more colder Winter rather than active Autumn weather along soon..

5 degrees and feeling a lot colder with horizontal rain.....instead it's the insanity and incessant noise of Indoor play centres....aghhhhhh...at least it's interesting weather tho :)

I have one of the kids dancing on the Wii ( to the same Rihanna tune on repeat) and the other getting in a rage with Peppa Pig snakes and ladders floor game.. It's a no win situation in this weather - you've got to stay in and let the Stir Crazy commence !

Wind still blasting away and it is very quickly feeling a lot colder.. an impressive lead of cold air filtering down perhaps more quickly than modelled....So what's next Winter Holidays in Moscow?? Or we should just head off to Braemar !

post-7292-0-60381000-1325086487_thumb.jp

post-7292-0-52025700-1325086502_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Temp 6.1c dew point -0.1c wind turning more westerly with highest gust so far 54mph.

Posted

In relation to the cold air - here it shows up well on the RGB filter on the Satellite.

You can see the colder and dryer stratospheric air being wrapped into the Low.

post-7292-0-45701500-1325087918_thumb.jp

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

it's pretty nasty here

blowing at 76 mph

temp is dropping

is now down to 6.7

with a wind chill -1

dew point 6.7

pressure is on the rise

996.0mb

it's not nice we had to rescue a kitten and help out with a horse whose leg was stuck driving about 20 miles which wasn't good :acute:

kitten and horse ok

wind is rattling around the house ,we have had one power cut so far ,hopefully it'll stay on

Edited by milkmaid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Great day for snubathing so it was :p :p :air_kiss::rofl:

Yep, it certainly was. But when I tried to wash my Gnu, it struggled fiercely and I gave up and left it all muddy, so it really hasn't been a good day for gnubathing...

:)

p.s. sorry, I just couldn't resist! I'm prone to a Touch of Typoitis myself at times...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I think things are calming down now. Can't see our max gust of 58mph being topped. Temp 5.1c dew point -2.1c.

Posted

OK, own up... who had too many brussels! bit on the windy side innit??

Posted

Still feels mighty gusty out!! Shut up the chickens coop for the night.

Playing hunt the peppa pig torch/nightlight!! before i check out the forecasts. We're beginning to feel the cabin fever after a whole day pretty much indoors.

Wind up to 58mph!

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Tad breezy here to say the least. Nae quite bawbag, but geein it laldy aw the same.

Neighbour's wheelie bin came tae visit earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Didn't seem so bad today as previous storms here but the bridge was closed for a tome after a gust of 87mph. Clear but windy here at 4.8C.

At least there is some snow on the higher routes looking at the Live Eye views. Some at Glenogle I think and definately piling down at Drummochter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Well a light frost this morning and feeling like proper brisk December air so looks like a good day for getting first proper fresh air since Xmas eve....away to check models after seeing breakfast time weather predict snow for east Scotland tomorrow afternoon....I just want a simple 2 inches so can get the sledges out during the festive holidays...c'mon Santa a belated present of snow I need to get the kids oot this hoose :) I too am suffering lorenzos curse of the wii but even worse it's just dance broadway getting blasted out

Precipitation looking good

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=42&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

But uppers not so much

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=t850&HH=42&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=0&PERIOD=&WMO=

however I guess other factors may come into play but another marginal event just missing a decent snow event is likely

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Wow.

On my list of Things I Didn't Expect From A Weather Discussion Forum, quite high up the list, is reminding me why I chose not to have any children... the terrifying descriptions of wii and dance broadway and peppa pig and so on... :)

A dead calm in Embra Suburbia. Half-tone light of a young morning, and not a movement in the branches... Pale-blue sky... road is damp but no precipitation at present.

Slightly startlingly, several sites forecast light snow here for this afternoon, so I've planned my day's work to allow time to go gallivanting off when the blizzard hits, hallumphing merrily through the great drifts of maybe as much as seven flakes perhaps...

Posted

Very dark to the west and currently 1.2c can this be snow coming as I see a big blob on the radar to the west of me.Slight ground frost when I wen tout first thing this morning.

Posted

Wee bit of sun breaking out looks like quite a nice morning. Ground is wet but not currently raining.

Doubt we will see any snow later - doesn't really feel all that chilly out. Uppers are definitely dodgy anyway.

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

Started off quite grey again here, cloud clearing now around 5 degrees. Slight breeze or should I say dead calm compared to the normal !

Looking at the charts for snowfall events over the next 48 hours very marginal for areas outwith the NW of the country and on higher ground. The cold shot is quickly eroded.

Thursday 13:00 looks best for snow on NMM

post-7292-0-80378400-1325153253_thumb.pn

This is as cold as it gets..uppers reaching further SW. Thickness values indicate rain.

post-7292-0-75424100-1325153282_thumb.pn post-7292-0-09072900-1325153297_thumb.pn

Then it's back into the warmer flow as the ridge moves slowly east into the start of Friday.

post-7292-0-51704600-1325153484_thumb.pn

Monday looks a little more promising with the 528 line south of the UK and a front inbound. Behind this yet another LP to keep an eye on as it barrels in.. one to watch on the models.

post-7292-0-95468300-1325153547_thumb.gi

So calm after the storm here, but still lots to look out for in the short term even before having a look into developments later in January, some snow here and there, colder, frosts, and another storm..

Edited by lorenzo