Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - New Year

lorenzo

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

just got in from the shops its awful out there was soaked to the skin in minutes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

A very grey, very wet and very wild day out there - not pleasant..

Latest satellite pic really shows the wrap on the system.

post-7292-0-11768600-1325069905_thumb.jp

Also shows up well on the radar

post-7292-0-52695800-1325069917_thumb.pn

More real time wind profiles - also added the Netwx one to signature below, Regional Map has links to weather stations.

Further discussion on the system can be found here in the storm discussion pages. Also on this thread a webcam for the west coast provided by Weathermaster.

Will this be the last storm of this year and perhaps the Atlantic season??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Vile out there the now.

The wind has been strong and gusting all morning, but about twenty minutes ago the light vanished and then the rain started - coming in diagonally to horizontally and those great big fat drops that splatter in a greasy-icy way. I'm well indoors with some sewing and feeling deeply, deeply grateful that I went out earlier today and don't have to now!

XC says ave 36mph, gusting to 48mph, temp 7, pressure 998. They forecast it to be averaging low to mid 30s this afternoon, gusting to 60+.

Posted

Totally sick and fed up of all the wind this winter. Fed-up oh yes, oh so fed-up of it.... totally and completely.....

Never known anything like this before. The frequency of deep lows sweeping by is incredible. It feels like every 3rd or 4th day for the past umpteen weeks we've had gales gusting over 70mph here on Isle of Lewis.

I say again.... I am FED UP of it !!!!!!

Just wish the jetstream would s*d off somewhere else.. Gimme a nice blocking high right NOW !!!!!!

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Totally sick and fed up of all the wind this winter. Fed-up oh yes, oh so fed-up of it.... totally and completely.....

Never known anything like this before. The frequency of deep lows sweeping by is incredible. It feels like every 3rd or 4th day for the past umpteen weeks we've had gales gusting over 70mph here on Isle of Lewis.

Just wish the jetstream would s*d off somewhere else.. Gimme a nice blocking high right NOW !!!!!!

I second that. I have never known a windier Christmas. Plus it has been a whie since we have had so much mild air circulating so far north. It seems the warm air on the models doesn't know where it should be at this time of year..about 600 miles further south!..Can we have our winter back please! :help:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I guess you are fed up then! :lol: Hi and welcome. Yes, I can quite understand how you feel. It has been one long, long year of dreich, here in the east and that includes summer! However, last winter was a winter of two halves and it is encouraging that GP is still confident in the Tech thread that it will be so again this year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in the summer

Outer Hebrides have been in an odd spot this year, was up visiting family during the "bawbag" and it seemed much calmer than what was going on in the central belt. Even the following gales that week seemed to hit the mainland more than usual, i dont know if it is the case but it seems that the centre of these depressions has been close to or even over Lewis on one or two occassions leading to the benign conditions certainly when i was there.

Must admit, i dont begrudge you the wind at all.... the old isobars always look tight at this time of year up there :smilz38:

Posted

I guess you are fed up then! :lol: Hi and welcome. Yes, I can quite understand how you feel. It has been one long, long year of dreich, here in the east and that includes summer! However, last winter was a winter of two halves and it is encouraging that GP is still confident in the Tech thread that it will be so again this year!

Lets be honest the first half of winter has been more like Autumn with a few colder interludes. We have still to have a widespread disruptive snow event. By that I mean a band of snow tracking the country with at least 6 or 7 inches. I am not giving up yet but the next week is not offering anything either. We need a blocking pattern to kill the mush from the Atlantic before anything will change! :sorry:

Posted

Thanks for the welcoming responses folks !

Outer Hebrides have been in an odd spot this year, was up visiting family during the "bawbag" and it seemed much calmer than what was going on in the central belt. Even the following gales that week seemed to hit the mainland more than usual, i dont know if it is the case but it seems that the centre of these depressions has been close to or even over Lewis on one or two occassions leading to the benign conditions certainly when i was there. Must admit, i dont begrudge you the wind at all.... the old isobars always look tight at this time of year up there :smilz38:

Yes Craig you are right. We have been at the eye of the storm on a few occasions so then the worst of the weather has been further south.... like today. But still gusting to 70mph here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in the summer

"Yes Craig you are right. We have been at the eye of the storm on a few occasions"

It certainly makes for interesting crossings of the minch at this time of year :w00t:

Posted

I'm in Ayrshire today, quite fun at the moment with a heavy hail and sleet shower combined with the wind... that's going to hurt for anyone out in it!

Posted

That was probably the heaviest Hail with Thunder and Lightning I've ever seen.

Glad I'm inside. That would have stung!

Posted

That was probably the heaviest Hail with Thunder and Lightning I've ever seen.

Glad I'm inside. That would have stung!

Oh what, we never had any thunder :(:rofl: (In Killie)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Getting pretty heavy rain here now - its not nice out in it at all. Can certainly feel the wind chill!! Glad i'm indoors now too.

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

The light has gone here, it's so dark. Still 5c and the wind has calmed ever so slightly after some meaty big gusts this morning. Waiting safe indoors for the next surge.

Posted

Gusty winds and squally showers and pretty dark a miserable day .Currently 6.3c. Cattle fed and bedded so in house keeping dry and warm .

Posted

MOSCOW, Dec 27, 2011 (AFP) - Russian meteorologists recorded the mildest temperatures for 113 years in the capital Moscow, registering 4.1 Celsius (39.4 Fahrenheit) on Tuesday. "At 1:00 am (2100 GMT Monday), a temperature of 4.1 degrees Celsius was recorded Tuesday, beating the 1898 record of 3.3 degrees in December," in Moscow, a spokeswoman for the city's weather centre told AFP. "In the morning, the temperature dropped slightly, but we forecast between three and four degrees in the day...," she added, and it was entirely possible that the record would be broken again in Moscow. The average temperature in Moscow for the month of December was minus 7.4 degrees Celsius, the spokeswoman added. Torrential rain in Moscow on Monday evening have combined with melting snow to produce huge puddles in the streets of the capital.

Seems both North America and North Europe not getting any cold weather. It's very odd to have both continents with mild air! :80:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

5 degrees and feeling a lot colder with horizontal rain....the 18mth old still saying walk daddy walk as tried to bundle her into car seat....little nutter...gutted not getting any snowy days to get out playing in it with her....instead it's the insanity and incessant noise of Indoor play centres....aghhhhhh...at least it's interesting weather tho :)

Posted

5 degrees and feeling a lot colder with horizontal rain....the 18mth old still saying walk daddy walk as tried to bundle her into car seat....little nutter...gutted not getting any snowy days to get out playing in it with her....instead it's the insanity and incessant noise of Indoor play centres....aghhhhhh...at least it's interesting weather tho :)

4c and still blowing a hoolie. Just back from said play centre where the roof is flexing beyond belief, glad to be out, really scary.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

gee its windy out there - just been out to feed the chickens and boy its even sounds scary and the rain was near horizontal could hardly see!! Glad to be inside again - cakes out the oven just in time as the lights are flickering again - may be going offline soon :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

lights been going on and off here in the city centre...... its only a wee bit of wind too