Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - New Year

lorenzo

Posted

Heavy wet snow here. Just settling on the grass. First snow ive seen this winter!!

Interesting. Across the Tay it's rain and sleet here in Crail. Like you we've had no snow here this winter as yet. +3.4c. I see Leuchars is reporting rain and snow at 2c/1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Interesting. Across the Tay it's rain and sleet here in Crail. Like you we've had no snow here this winter as yet. +3.4c. I see Leuchars is reporting rain and snow at 2c/1c.

Same as Monifieth at the West end of the city. Rain briefly turned to wet snow and is lying above about 100/150 feet asl. Temps dropped from 3c to 0.8C currently.

Edit. Now turning sleety again as precipitation lightens.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

Cold wet sleety afternoon a thoroughly miserable day after a frosty start at 0c ,currently 3c.

Posted

Reports coming in that the snaw gates at Drumochter about to be shut, lorry stuck at Kilwhinning and crash in the snaw at Pitlochery. In other words avoid the A9.

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

Same as Monifieth at the West end of the city. Rain briefly turned to wet snow and is lying above about 100/150 feet asl. Temps dropped from 3c to 0.8C currently.

Edit. Now turning sleety again as precipitation lightens.

Back to rain/sleet now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Persistent rain here too. As it has been since Christmas Eve. Well, I exaggerate somewhat. What I meant was persistent rain since Christmas Eve when it hasn't been hurling it down in vicious horizontal waves accompanied by 60+ mph gusts and failing to get properly light all day.... *sighs and looks longingly at easyjet website*

Posted

Just been to the parents between Stonehaven and Banchory and they have about an inch of snow settled on the ground. Driven back to Portlethen to wet snow, quite heavy wet snow though.

Temp 1.1oC

Dew 1.1oC

Feels Like -4.8oC

Pressure 995.5mb

Humidity 96%

Wind Av 6.9mph, gusting 8.3mph

Dew Point have steadily been rising whilst the temp slowly dropping throughout the day, now both steady (past 2 hours)

Posted

When I left Glasgow city centre about an hour ago it was 5.5c on the car thermometer and heavy rain. It was 2.5c when I got home and sleet. It's since dropped from 2.4c to 2.3c and still heavy sleet. Looking at the hills I think the snow level is only about 300 metres which could lower during any heavy bursts of precipitation. However, as the forecast suggests any snow today will only be temporary as milder air pushes in.

Ive not really kept a close eye on the models this winter but I have actually quite enjoyed the mobile pattern we've experienced recently and it looks as though Tuesday will bring another stormy day for some parts with some more opportunities of snow showers as well beyond New Years Day.

8 days of lying snow this winter for me so far is a great return in comparison to some of the past zonal winters i remember.

Just rain here. Was there any sleet as you passed by Torrance?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Just bloody wet here. Utter pish.

Suttle as ever HC!! :lol: Aw never mind, you can drown your sorrows in something a little more pleasing tomorrow night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well talk about a damp squib - nae snaw - as per a certain chart that shall remain nameless - suffice to say NAE SNAW again!!

Just very heavy wet rain - so much so i was glad i parked in the multi storey car park for a wee spot of shopping in J lewis in the Big smoke today.

Super wet roads and pretty dull and dreary weather - crisp frosty snowy days would be just lovely -s igh

Posted

Fed up with all the rain and wind now. Please can I have a wee bit of snow. :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

It turned sleety briefly here and the hill certainly appeared white before sunset but back to drizzly rain now. The whole thing was caused by evaporative cooling - the energy lost melting the very heavy rain kicked temperatures down a degree or two and turned the rain to snow. The reason it's turning back is this http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2011/12/30/basis12/ukuk/t850/11123018_3012.gif Away from the far northeast the uppers are actually above 0C at the moment. Monday looks about as promising as anything I've seen since mid month http://nwstatic.co.uk/fax/PPVL89.png . Straight westerlies pretty much with uppers easily cold enough and troughing. It could easily disappear off the charts by the time we've reached the bells but as currently modelled it could give an inch or two at least quite widely. It'll all be blown away by midnight though http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20111230/12/87/h500slp.png

Time for a bit more FI-candy http://176.31.229.228/modeles/gens/run/gens-8-1-384.png?12

http://176.31.229.228/modeles/gens/run/gens-8-0-384.png?12

Posted

Just rain here. Was there any sleet as you passed by Torrance?

I don't actually go through Torrance normally as I usually take the Kirkintilloch bypass. It got a bit sleety in Kirkintilloch and more so as I went through Lennoxtown. Drove over to Fintry in the afternoon and falling and lying snow on the Crow Road going over the Campsies.

Posted

Temp is on the rise now 4c after a bleak, horrid day with nae snaw!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

It's is good that Geoff or Gefs :) is beginning to deliver these sort of solutions now, something different to mull over than, to quote Nick Sussex the 'satanic offerings' of the GFS with it's determination to skip forward to April on it's operational run..

In relation to the Stratosphere it looks like round 1 to the Polar Vortex, although Round 2 is not too far in the distant future.. it's already looking considerably weaker in every other area of the NH other than parked just North of us by 240 on ECM.

Posted

Another grey overcast one today. Looking milder as the day goes on.. good to see we have some early first footers from the other regions.

The first storm of the New Year is continuing to catch the eye, some subtle changes in between runs - whether the LP tracks North of the UK is still difficult to guess. Also looking at where the storm will deepen the furthest, a couple of speedier storm tracks have this low deepening in the North Sea.

UKMO view

post-7292-0-91194200-1325246945_thumb.gi post-7292-0-41067800-1325246973_thumb.gi

From the GEFS Ensembles I have picked out around 6 charts which highlight the more severe options available on this system. ( There are others which are less dramatic..)

p2 - sees central pressure 930mb, North West in the tight Isobars

post-7292-0-50112900-1325247291_thumb.pn

p7 - LP more tilted on approach pushing winds further south

post-7292-0-70564300-1325247302_thumb.pn

p12 - similar to the first this time deepens to 935mb

post-7292-0-02717800-1325247319_thumb.pn

p15 - this is where previous systems have slowed and deepened

post-7292-0-60210300-1325247325_thumb.pn

p18 - a quicker route across the north - anyone see the Northern Isles under there?

post-7292-0-26622000-1325247333_thumb.pn

p20 - again quicker and at this timeframe rattling Norway

post-7292-0-15163600-1325247341_thumb.pn

One to blow those New Year cobwebs away !

Oh Gawd..... here we go again :help:

Met office forecasting 81mph gusts for Stornoway on tuesday. When will this misery end... :cray: